Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat smells like a paper mill......'08 VLX

k_b_stephens

The exhaust from my boat stinks! Get that rotten egg/paper mill smell, more noticeable when wake surfing. My buddy's '07 VLX doesn't stink half as bad or as often. Thought maybe the smell wouldn't be that bad after getting some hours on the boat, but we're almost to 50 hours and no change from breakin. How normal is that? Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Thanks!

Keith

my best guess is that you have either a monsoon or hammerhead with the cats on them? Some send off more smell then others, but that is what the cats will do to the exhaust.

I know Catalytic converters smell bad when something is amiss . You may have gotten some not so good fuel or just have a rotten CAT.

I don't know how you would check it though Dontknow.gif

Running 89 octane....I'll try gas from a different place next week. Probably call the dealer this week and see what they think.

Thanks for the replies.

I have an 06 Monsoon with CATS and have never smelled anything foul like you describe. Not sure that's normal. What kind of fuel are you running?

Are you sure? I have an 06 Monsoon and it does not have cats. Thought they came out in 07 or 08?

Hey KB - most of the guys in our area swear by using nothing but BP Amoco 89 with no ethanol. We have the same set up, and I have never experienced that smell. I'd at least try running a couple of tanks through and see what happens.

I remember some smell during break-in, but not like that.

what are cats... Dontknow.gif

Short for Catalytic converter,

A catalytic converter (colloquially, "cat" or "catcon") is a device used to reduce the toxicity of emissions from an internal combustion engine.

I remember some smell during break-in, but not like that.

what are cats... Dontknow.gif

Short for Catalytic converter,

A catalytic converter (colloquially, "cat" or "catcon") is a device used to reduce the toxicity of emissions from an internal combustion engine.

To add..

Cats are used to burn HC (hydro carbons) or un-burned fuel.

I have an 06 Monsoon with CATS and have never smelled anything foul like you describe. Not sure that's normal. What kind of fuel are you running?

Are you sure? I have an 06 Monsoon and it does not have cats. Thought they came out in 07 or 08?

Well, hell, maybe I don't, what a good excuse to go open her up tonight!! Thumbup.gif I thought I remembered seeing CATS and ETX under there somewhere, maybe not :Doh:

I know Catalytic converters smell bad when something is amiss . You may have gotten some not so good fuel or just have a rotten CAT.

I don't know how you would check it though Dontknow.gif

Not always when something's amiss. A few years ago I had an Expedition that I put a full exhaust system on, including hi-flow cats. The exhaust guy had warned me that they would stink for a bit, and they did. As they broke in, it got a lot better & after a while I'd only catch a small bit of a sulfur scent if I was really on the gas. It's just the raw gas that doesn't get burned off coming through (as Pete mentioned) that you're smelling. Usually you smell it on the road if you're behind a gasser on a grade that's working really hard.

Not sure that I've ever even heard of it with a boat though. The cats are a relatively new thing, but I think that I'd still check with the dealer to see if there's a problem. If you've got the air/fuel mixture screwed up in the favor of too much fuel, I think that would do it. Seems like you'd have other issues, but maybe engine management software is compensating for that. Just a thought.

Well, hell, maybe I don't, what a good excuse to go open her up tonight!! Thumbup.gif I thought I remembered seeing CATS and ETX under there somewhere, maybe not :Doh:

Nope you don't have cats.

Now I could be wrong here but this so called stinky smell: was there a burrito, cheap beer and jalapeno eating contest sometime the night before you noticed?

Edited by Baddog
Now I could be wrong here but this so called stinky smell: was there a burrito, cheap beer and jalapeno eating contest sometime the night before you noticed?

Are you saying something crawled up his exhaust pipe and died? ROFL.gif

Nope you don't have cats.

Actually I have a duel cat system, they're black and white and come to think of it, they sometimes do leave a foul smell. If I catch them in my boat again I'm going to Blowup.gif them up!!!

Are you saying something crawled up his exhaust pipe and died? ROFL.gif

More likely it originated in the intake manifold.