Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to buy a Sunsetter lxi.....questions!

dtm8119

Hey all! My buddy and I are in the market to buy a sunsetter lxi. I've done a little searching on the forums for some info on them and from what it looks like, the 99-04 seems to be the best years because of the how well the hull does for skiing/boarding. We are big into skiing and wakeboarding so that would work out very well for us. I'm just curious, of those years, is there a certain year that we should look for specifically (like if a new option came out that is a "must have")? I've tried doing a little searching to find out what years had what options available but haven't come up with much....

Edited by dtm8119

I could be wrong but 1999-2002 had the 325 monsoon upgrade option, 2003 had the 335 and 2004 you could get the 340. Try to find one with the Titan series I or II tower and stay away from the skylon tuna, JMO. Other than that the wedge, heater, hot/cold shower, center ballast, perfect pass were all options. Good luck in your search, you won't be dissapointed they are excellent crossover ski/wakeboard boats.

I had an 01 SLXi...loved the boat. It was a fantastic boat and kinda wish I still had it. If I were to look for one, I'd lean towards an 03 or 04. After owning both (and spending lots of hours in others boats as well), the 335 Monsoon is a much torque-ier engine than the 325. My SLXi 325 didn't seem to have the bottom end power that I had hoped for...but was able to do some prop tweaking to get that fixed.

You’re making a great choice. I have a 99 Sunsetter lxi and love the boat. I’ve had minimal issues with it and have no plans of replacing it. Now that’s not to say if you offered me a lot of money……… Whistling.gif

Great boat. I have an '03 SLXI and love it. It has the Monsoon 335 and plenty of torque. I added a wedge and my wakeboarding friends (I'm more of a skier) tell me it has a fun wake. I could be wrong, but I don't think a factory-installed center ballast tank was an option on the '03 (at least that's what my dealer told me when I was looking at the boat).

My Cousins own a 2001 Sunsetter LXi. It is a GREAT all around boat. They have the wedge and factory installed center ballast and it puts out a darn decent wake for wakboarding. It is also great for slalom skiing and even compares well to my RLX wake for footing. Thumbup.gif

Edited by areamike
They went to a heavier vinyl in '04. I prefer the dashes & switch panels of the '03-'04 boats as well, but that's personal preference so YMMV. If it were me, I think that I'd look for an '04 with a Monsoon & Titan.

I could be wrong, but I thought the dash and switches were the same from '01-'04 on that model and on the Response, with the taller, flat style dash and twist switches on the '00 and earlier.

Then again, you may be right. I can't remember when they made the switch on the gauge cluster/contura switches. I just know that they're on the '03-'04 boats & I like 'em. :)

I can verify that an '02 has the gauge cluster/Contura rockers...

Besides misquoting the engine and the wrong wedge has been installed that trailer doesn't provide and protection for the prop.

I know of a 2003 SLXI that is going up forsale it's yellow and black, Skylon tower w/ speakers, Perfect pass (Stargazzer), Corvette, MLS, wedge. I've skied behind this boat severall times and it's immaculate. If interest I can pass on this contact information of the seller.

Here's a darn good looking one. Just need to add a tower.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/1361349984.html

Beautiful boat, but it has the wrong wedge on it. Wonder why. That and he's wrong about what engine it has.

I am thinking about taking this boat out for a test drive in the next week. Can you elaborate on this?

Thx

Unless he blew up the original engine, which it doesn't look like he did from the pics, it has the Monsoon 325 HP, not the 340. The 340 didn't come around until 2004. That and the wedge should be flat on diamond-hulled boats. The wedge foil in these pictures appears to be the angled version which was designed for the wake hulls. Not a big deal, just something I noticed. Neither of these things should be show-stoppers if you're interested in the boat.

I'd ask the buyer where that wedge came from. I'm betting the original one broke (that happened a lot on that model year, 99% of the time, not due to any neglect or abuse) and he replaced it with the angled one he bought off ebay or something.

Also, find out if it's ever been used in salt water. Assuming so due to the flush kit and the galvanized trailer...

Thanks, I did notice that. He is selling the boat on consignment. Claims no salt water, but that the first trailer's axle rusted out? Saw the flush pro so something does seem a bit fishy.

sorry to hijack the thread but I would be interested in the info malibudude.

Also, find out if it's ever been used in salt water. Assuming so due to the flush kit and the galvanized trailer...

Funny it is in Oregon, yet the trailer has Washington plates. Although, Portland is not far from Washington. I wonder if the trailer is even included. Still looks very clean.

I would also inquire about Salt or brackish water. Even so, I know a few friends with flush kits that never run their boats in salt water, they just opted for that option. I personally would like to have it myself. But, it never hurts to ask.

Also, what UWskier says about the wedge. It could possibly be a replacement. I wonder if maybe at one time they hit something in the water and had some damage and had to replace it. Could be an added price bargaining chip if that is the case. ;)

EDIT, after seeing previous post. Just because they claim it has never been in salt water. To some, brackish water is not the same as salt. I would ask specifically if the seller knows what lakes it has been in, brackish or not?

Edited by areamike

The trailer also brings up a concern...don't know how many times I have scraped the prop cage coming out of a gas station, or some other place with a steeper approach to the road. Hate to think what would happen to the prop w-o it.