Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakes on Response LXi vs LX vs others

chriscpm

I'm getting flak from some of the guys on my lake about the "big" wakes on my 2005 Response LXi. I don't really care too much, and realize everyone get to like things about their own boat. I ski a lot of different boats and lakes and try to just ski and forget it. I usually ski better on a new lake. But a couple of things are bugging me.

The comment that the RLXi isn't as good as a "true ski boat" (from a Nataque owner) is one of them. I though the RLXi had wakes as good as a LXi.

One buddy that skis slow (29-30) is convinced his 90s era Mastercraft is easier for him, and the RLXi makes him fly out of the water. Maybe that's right for that speed, i dunno know.

Any thoughts?

in all honesty it probably is a little bigger than a response lx, 196 and slightly bigger than a 197. At 32miles+ and 28 off and shorter there is no difference. Look at the size difference between his older MC and your boat, weigh up the comfort, versatility and practicality of each and the Lxi wins hands down. Some of the 90's era MCs are classic, awesome slalom boats no doubt, but they cant compete with a modern ski boat in many ways. There are a heap of threads on this. Have a look around if you wish.

Just tell them to harden up Biggrin.gif

I have an '05 LXI, used to own an '00 Nautique and ski behind a mid 90s Mastercraft. Here are my observations. The wakes are all different so I think its kind of a personal preference thing. I do think the Nautique has a slightly better wake than my LXI. Not enough to make me ski better or worse but a little smoother. At the speed I ski at, 34 MPH, I much prefer my wake over the Mastercraft. One thing I will say is that speed improves the wake on this boat a lot. It is much better at 34 than at 32.

If anyone complains I would just tell them that it was good enough for a world record in 2005 so it should be good enough for you too.

I'm getting flak from some of the guys on my lake about the "big" wakes on my 2005 Response LXi. I don't really care too much, and realize everyone get to like things about their own boat. I ski a lot of different boats and lakes and try to just ski and forget it. I usually ski better on a new lake. But a couple of things are bugging me.

The comment that the RLXi isn't as good as a "true ski boat" (from a Nataque owner) is one of them. I though the RLXi had wakes as good as a LXi.

One buddy that skis slow (29-30) is convinced his 90s era Mastercraft is easier for him, and the RLXi makes him fly out of the water. Maybe that's right for that speed, i dunno know.

Any thoughts?

Just tell him he may as well skl behind a Bayliner if he is going to go that fast and ask him what his point is with the comparison. :Doh: Or maybe bring a kneeboard for him next time out. That is all meant to be poking fun, but it seems to me that 29 is a bit slow to be developing a tournament level wake. Although I am pretty sure that INT pulls that slow for some of their levels.

I have said this before on this sit.

1. all of the top ski boats have excellent wakes or lack of. I would not turn down a run on any.

2. I think Malibu has a soft Small wake.

2. CC has maybe the smallest wake but some serious prop wash.

3. MC the crisps wake but still small and very skiable.

All my observations are from 34 and 36 mph at 35off or shorter.

If you are skiing hard and on edge you wont have a problem with any of the good ski boats. The only problem I have is the Biggrin.gif chit eaten grin at the end of the ski.

I have mentioned the world record a few times.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

My buddy that skis slow definitely flattens out too much at the wake. His ski setup is all messed up too. We are looking into that and need to get him to 32 MPH soon.

Another buddy skis into 39.5 at 34 MPH. He was complaining about a “bump” at 28 off. I ski 22 and 28 off 34 MPH and don’t see a problem with a bump. I had some trouble last year moving from free skiing short lines to course skiing longer lines. The CC was a bit more forgiving then, but once I set an edge and kept the handle down, that all went away.

So I’ll hop on anyone boat if mine is anchored and it more convenient. These other guys are getting a bit fussy about their old MC and CC boats.

BTW - I skied today with a crew of 2 adults and 3 kids - 550 or so. It skied so cool. I couldn’t move the boat around at all.

If anyone complains I would just tell them that it was good enough for a world record in 2005 so it should be good enough for you too.
Another buddy skis into 39.5 at 34 MPH. He was complaining about a “bump” at 28 off. I ski 22 and 28 off 34 MPH and don’t see a problem with a bump. I had some trouble last year moving from free skiing short lines to course skiing longer lines. The CC was a bit more forgiving then, but once I set an edge and kept the handle down, that all went away.

So I’ll hop on anyone boat if mine is anchored and it more convenient. These other guys are getting a bit fussy about their old MC and CC boats.

BTW - I skied today with a crew of 2 adults and 3 kids - 550 or so. It skied so cool. I couldn’t move the boat around at all.

Put some weight in the bow. The lxi skis and drives so much better when its flattened out a little in the nose. If you drive for your friend who skis into 39 he would appreciate it i bet. I cant seem to find it but i have a picture of parrish somewhere with the boat in shot, and the nose is diving harder than obama's approval rating..

Put some weight in the bow. The lxi skis and drives so much better when its flattened out a little in the nose. If you drive for your friend who skis into 39 he would appreciate it i bet. I cant seem to find it but i have a picture of parrish somewhere with the boat in shot, and the nose is diving harder than obama's approval rating..

Interesting on the weight. I had a couple kids up front, so maybe that's what I liked. How much weight? I'm already carrying a second battery. I have a couple 50 weights that I think would fit under the seats. Is that too much?

My buddy that skis slow definitely flattens out too much at the wake. His ski setup is all messed up too. We are looking into that and need to get him to 32 MPH soon.

grnautique has a point when he mentions personal preference--and personal preference will be greatly affected by line length, speed, and style of skiing.

Another buddy skis into 39.5 at 34 MPH. He was complaining about a “bump” at 28 off.

I vaguely remember hearing something about there being less of a bump at -22 but perhaps more of a bump at -28, on the RLXi boats--don't remember if it was first or second generation RLXi.

Anyway, early 90's ProStars have fantastic wakes. I ski behind a 95 and always ski well behind that boat. When I had my RLX, I always said my wake was lower, but the 190 was softer. The CC 196 is definitely soft, but I haven't skied one lately.

Now, about personal preference again. It can change. When I test-skied the new generation RLXi I almost DID NOT BUY IT! I test skied it in open water and for various reasons skied too hard--too wide and too fast--which caused me to launch over the wake. My wife LOVED the wake at -15 and said it compared to -22 on our RLX. No way was I sold. The next day I had to go back and test ski it again--3 hours there, 3 hours back. This time through a course, I settled in, and it was a completely different experience. Same boat, same skier, same ski. Today I'm glad I ordered the boat--I don't think about the wake and it offers far, FAR more amenities than the RLX we came out of.

So...next time your buddies are crapping on you about your wake, just say :biteme:

I wouldnt put more than a 100lb up there if you only have a normal slalom crew posse in the boat. 50lb should make an improvement. You would get to a point of diminishing return and end up just dumping the nose too often if your not careful. Measure twice cut once. Start light and add more if you wish.

Im sad to say i have not had a positive experience yet with the new generation of lxi hulls. Wake is harder, sharper, more turbulent (as bad as a CC but with a bigger wake underneath all that turbulence) and a bigger bump @ 22off. I dont like driving it and the boats ive skied behind with both PPSG and classic have felt hard compared to an lx, my 'old, useless, pre-DBW/ZO ski boat' and even 196s with ZO. It feels like a tank and not in a good way. sorry, just my opinion...

I generally agree with you Toby, I like skiing the '03 - 06 hull better than the newer version, which is why I bought my '05 versus a newer one. Really haven't driven the newer hull much so can't comment on that issue but everyone who drives my '05 loves how it drives/handles. Although I think the newer version hull is still a damn good wake especially compared to the newer generation 197 MC's. Again just one opinion.

I wondered about the bow weighting thing. I'll have to give it a go to see what effect it has.

Ed

Im sad to say i have not had a positive experience yet with the new generation of lxi hulls. Wake is harder, sharper, more turbulent ... compared to an lx,...

Plus1.gif Though my buddy that owns the LXi is not happy with my evaluation. :lol:

I wondered about the bow weighting thing. I'll have to give it a go to see what effect it has.

Anyone with a Sportster reading this...don't do it. No.gif It can help with a RLXi and even a RLX but in a Sporty it just makes the wake rock hard.

I own a '03 RLXi and used to ski it about 50% of the time thru the course, and skied a 196 the other 50% of the time. Now, the ski club I belong to has a 196 w/ZO on a lift at the lake and so I use that boat most of the time now. I like 196's and I think that ZO is a very fair pull- in that it pulls everyone the same. I love skiing my RLXi though and still love it, and even more so now that I don't ski it often. Just this past weekend I got it out and skied to within 1 ball of my PB, also set behind that boat this spring, on a new ski!

The boat wars are still very healthy despite the bad economy. I haven't skied a MC in a couple years and can't comment on them since the pepermint patty version( red on one side, black on the other) but then the boat seemed to have a harder wake( I can get used to that) and took a lot longer to get to speed and the pull always seemed to be a bit behind me- like the boats reaction time was a little long. I like the 196 pull and wakes and when I go back to my RLXi wakes after skiing the 196 for a long time I find the RLXi wakes at 28 to be hard or big( which is to say that I notice them) on my first pass of the first set. After that I don't notice the wakes at all and just notice the pull of the boat and where the boat is relative to where I want it to be....

Here are my thoughts:

I know he is your buddy, but anyone skiing at 29mph and complaining about your wake size needs to spend a little more time working on their form and a little less time complaining.

All boats have a bump at 22 off. MC's tend to be pretty firm, Malibu's are noticeable but neither firm nor soft, Nautique's are soft and dreamy.

The reason people complain about your wake is because it is different then what they are used to which takes them out of their comfort zone and highlights weaknesses in their form. That statement is not meant to rip anyone! I'll be the first to admit it happens to me all the time. I know the wake and bump behind my boat at all speeds and all lengths like the back of my hand which also means I know where I can get lazy. When I ski behind my buddies Nautique I miss my 1st 22 off pass every time because I am ready to hit a firm bump and when it is not there I get so screwed up I can not finish the course. I don't complain to him about his buttery soft wake, I just make the mental adjustment and move on.

At the end of the day you have a beautiful boat with an awesome wake, don't let your buddies make you think other wise!

And why does it always seem to be the Nautique people that complain about how bad the wakes are on every other boat? It seems like the Craft and Malibu people I know can ski any boat.

I get to ski behind a ton of boats, but mostly from Malibu.

+ '04 Sporter

+ '03 Sunsetter

+ '97 Echelon

+ '00 Response LX

+ '09 Response LX

+ '06? Response (Corvette LS1)

+ '00 Sport Nautique

+ '09 Mastercraft 197

I'll ski behind the 197 again this weekend and think about how it compares to my '09 LX. It has been a month since I've been behind that boat. Off hand, I can't decide which is better. They are both amazing wakes.

The '00 LX has an amazing wake too. The people who own this boat ski behind an '09 LXi all the time. They think my LX has a better wake then the LXi, but only marginally. This is a different hull than the '05 LXi you are talking about, so this isn't too applicable to your situation, sorry.

Relatively speaking, yes, there is a difference between the newer hulls and the '05, but as other posters have pointed out, it was an amazing wake then and it still is.

If I were to ski at 22-off recreationally, the Echelon is the only boat (besides my last boat, the Nautique) I prefer to NOT ski behind. To solve that problem, I just move up to 28-off when we use this friend's boat. The Nautique was the same way... I just shifted my free skiing to 28-off to deal with the wake.

As my father's skiing (64 years old) has improved, he had started to notice the wake on the Nautique. That and other reasons 'encouraged' me to buy a new boat. In the one week since switching to the '09 LX, my father's skiing has dramatically improved (34mph, 15-off).

Sorry but my thoughts are disorganized and I don't want to re-write this... If your friends don't like the wake, they can supply a better boat. ;-) If you family doesn't like the wake, get a new boat (if you can afford to switch, of course). Of course, I'm saying this with a smirk on my face.

In all honesty, I love the latest and greatest, but when it comes to skiing, I like to know that my skills have improved as opposed to me getting better because of the boat or ski. My ski used to come out of the water at 22-off when crossing the wake until I changed my skiing style. I found a way to keep the ski down without changing equipment. So, while your friend may like the other wakes better there probably are ways for him to change his technique to help overcome what he doesn't like about your boat wake.

$0.02