Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1995 Response possible faulty neutral cut off switch, wont engage nuetral

Not sure the boat even has one but sometimes the boat wont start until the throttle is jiggled and then it turns over and fires right up. I know that cars have a cut off switch that momentarily drops the idle as the car is shifted into gear and would cause a similar condition if it were failing. Also and not sure if it is related, the boat can't find neutral. It feels like it is engaging both forward and reverse but still turns the prop enough to move the boat around while it is in the neutral position.

Anyhelp is appreciated.

Take your Morse control off of the gunnel wall and look inside. You might be able to fix it but you will probably want to get a new Morse control. It is essential that that control is working perfectly.

Not sure the boat even has one but sometimes the boat wont start until the throttle is jiggled and then it turns over and fires right up. I know that cars have a cut off switch that momentarily drops the idle as the car is shifted into gear and would cause a similar condition if it were failing. Also and not sure if it is related, the boat can't find neutral. It feels like it is engaging both forward and reverse but still turns the prop enough to move the boat around while it is in the neutral position.

Anyhelp is appreciated.

Seeing that I've never replaced a control before i highly doubt that is the issue (but wouldn't rule it out)

Most common, your shift cable is out of adjustment, not fully engaging the transmission into neutral (easy to adjust at transmission end)

2nd most common: your pivots on your shift cable are warn (on back side of the control where the cable connects) they look like this: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1401

3rd most common: You neutral safety switch is warn out and bad on the transmission which looks like this: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1343

Hope this helps you out

Paul