Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dumb pump question

MadDogMike

I'm adding a dedicated fill pump for a bow sac in my '04 VLX. I know I can use the Piranha's or Tsunami's or various other brands, but I can't seem to find one that matches the factory connections (unless I buy it from an overpriced wakeboard-dedicated store).

The factory pumps look like these: MLS_OEMreplceBallstPumpLG.jpg

I can't find a pump that looks quite like that. I can get a livewell pump, but it has an extra port on it: 357-113-10.jpg

Or, I can get an aerator pump, but it has this super long inlet: 357-112-10.jpg

(All the Tsunami's I've found have the long inlet, too.)

So, do I get the livewell pump and something to block the extra port, or the aerator pump and hacksaw the inlet down to size?

thanks,

Mike

Uhm, what are the factory sizes for '04 for those of us unlucky enough to have factory ballast and know off the top of their heads?

I used Rule 405FC Aerator pumps which don't have that big threaded inlet (which yes you can saw down). They are about $35 online and are 1100gph pumps with a 3/4" inlet and a 1" outlet.

Uhm, what are the factory sizes for '04 for those of us unlucky enough to have factory ballast and know off the top of their heads?

I think the factory pumps have 3/4" inlets and 3/4" outlets.

Looks like the pump you suggested also has a second outlet port, but it comes with a plug: MP63508978_bg.jpg

Edited by MadDogMike

I think the factory pumps have 3/4" inlets and 3/4" outlets.

Looks like the pump you suggested also has a second outlet port, but it comes with a plug: MP63508978_bg.jpg

Yeah. The extra port is for bypassing the pump. You can plug it without a problem. Go to the Rule pump website and poke around the aerator pumps to see if any are set up right for you.

Do they always come with a plug for that extra port? I'd hate to have to try and hunt one down.

As far as I know. You can get those plugs at the hardware store anyways. Standard thread pvc plug.

• 2 weeks later...

No, they don't always come with the extra port, that's an additional option some manufacturers offer for aeratoring two livewell tanks.

ANY aerator pump with a 3/4" NPS threaded intake and a 3/4" hose barb outlet will work as a direct replacement for your factory pump. You may need to cut down the intake thread with a hand saw if it's an Attwood pump, but that poses absolutely no problems. Personally I think the Attwood pump is a better, more reliable, easier to service (and cheaper) pump, so that's what I would use, but the choice is up to you.

I bought the pump like this: 357-113-10.jpg

Turns out it does come with the plug for the second port, so it's essentially plug & play like the OEM pump. No hack saw necessary.

Edited by MadDogMike