Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Conversion from Cable Throttle Control

I've been shopping for a PP Stargazer for my 2001 boat and it appears that if I had a newer DBW control it would be about $800 bucks cheaper and a much easier install. So it got me thinking, I know it would be a pain to install, but what if I converted my old cable control to DBW??

Is this a bad idea, or a stupid idea? :unsure:

Where do you get the $800 difference?

PP Cost difference is $200. Install shouldn't be that much different - perhaps an hour or two vs three or four depending on the dealer.

Star Gazer- DBW Engines* $1195

Star Gazer- Mechanical Engines $1395

I don't think it's worth it.

BTW - PP Stargazer install with the latest versions is really pretty easy. It would take you less time to install PP yourself & save the install $$ vs trying to do the upgrade to DBW.

to change to DBW you would need to reprogram your ECM To work with a TAC module, Purchase a TAC module, Electronic throttle body, and the DBW throttle handle, Dont forget the wiriing harness and modifying your current harness... i converted mine to DBW (03 wakesetter) by installing a 05 Mastercraft engine that had all the DBW stuff already..

to change to DBW you would need to reprogram your ECM To work with a TAC module, Purchase a TAC module, Electronic throttle body, and the DBW throttle handle, Dont forget the wiriing harness and modifying your current harness... i converted mine to DBW (03 wakesetter) by installing a 05 Mastercraft engine that had all the DBW stuff already..

If you put a mastercraft engine in a 'bu do you have to feed your 'bu anti-rejection drugs all the time like people that have organ transplants Tease2.gif

If you put a mastercraft engine in a 'bu do you have to feed your 'bu anti-rejection drugs all the time like people that have organ transplants Tease2.gif

haha.. it was a perfect match, no anti-rejection meds needed. Thumbup.gif

Just for clarification, do you mean throttle by wire or shift by wire has been dropped.

2010 has throttle by wire, but not shift by wire.

Peter

I will double check but I am almost sure ther is no more by wire anything shift or throttle.

I've been shopping for a PP Stargazer for my 2001 boat and it appears that if I had a newer DBW control it would be about $800 bucks cheaper and a much easier install. So it got me thinking, I know it would be a pain to install, but what if I converted my old cable control to DBW??

Is this a bad idea, or a stupid idea? :unsure:

Personally I don't think you would be gaining much if anything. That is except for expense(?), headaches and problems that seem to occur with ANY custom installation. After reading some discussion around dbw, I think my cable throttle works great. Has a nice feel, and it is responsive. The PP works about as well as I could ever want.

jmho

Edited by ruffdawg

OK ya'll,

I get the point. It was both a stupid idea AND a bad idea. Not my first one this week.

I have seen some DWB Stargazers on SIA for < $500 and I thought it might be worth the conversion, IF it was a good upgrade. It sounds like the good old mechanical control is maybe the best way to go and to stay.

thanks for the input.

Everyone have a wonderful and safe Labor Day!!

OK ya'll,

I get the point. It was both a stupid idea AND a bad idea. Not my first one this week.

I have seen some DWB Stargazers on SIA for < $500 and I thought it might be worth the conversion, IF it was a good upgrade. It sounds like the good old mechanical control is maybe the best way to go and to stay.

thanks for the input.

Everyone have a wonderful and safe Labor Day!!

Do you already have PP Classic in the boat?? If so the upgrade is only something like $450. Well worth the $$$ even if you're installing a complete SG system from scratch. Some of the best money I've spent on skiing and a no brainer to install yourself! Thumbup.gif

Ed

No I don't have any speed control, expect by sweet wife's steady hand......

I've needed to add PP for years now, but have resisted the urge to spend the $$.

Now that I built a portable course, with your plans, I really have an itch that won't scratch.

I guess I'll be giving Max at SkiertoSkier a call, soon.

Kirk