Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's the Stupidest Thing You Ever Tried to Pull

Ndawg12

I work with a guy who grew up on Lake Norman when it was hardly developed at all (back in the 60's and 70's). He is always telling me the stupid things they used to try and pull behind a boat and I always get a kick out of his stories. He tried to make a hydro-foil with an aluminum lawn chair and some 2x4's. When they took off it immediately drug him under the water and as he escaped the chair frame put a 6 inch gash in his leg that required a bunch of stitches. :Doh: He said one of his buddies had a hang glider which they tied 2 75' ropes to. The first couple of runs never got off the ground and the guy would trip and get drug across the ground. So they decided they needed a faster boat. :Doh: This time it worked and he shot straight up into the air, he said he was at least 60' up when the glider went into a nose dive and slammed into the water. The guy almost drowned because he couldn't get out from under the glider. :Doh:

Probably the older generation will have more responses to this as the regs have gotten alot tighter, for good reason, but what's the stupidest thing you have pulled or done behind the boat???????

Probably the older generation will have more responses to this as the regs have gotten alot tighter, for good reason, but what's the stupidest thing you have pulled or done behind the boat???????

Four foot cable spool. Turned it on its side and rode high above the water. Rockon.gif We have some video somewhere but I think it is on VHS.

My buddy bet me ice cream that I couldn't do it... I won. Thumbup.gif Our first times we on the pond behind my house pulled by a stand up jetski. We did take it to the lake one day. Kink of boring once the novelty wore off...

I guess you heard about Tony Klarich & his 40-40-400? For his 40th birthday, Tony "skied" 40 items & did 400 tricks.... or some goofy thing.

My favorites had to be the upside down picnic table or the blindfolded invert on a SkySki!

Years ago we made an "Air Couch" out of two AirChairs & 2 wakeboards. The foils were on the ends with the two wakeboards in the middle, one as the seat bottom, the other as the seat back. We rode it with 3 people. The contraption imploded shortly after we got up & going.

We've also done SkySki on a 400' rope & pulled off an invert.

I talked to Murphy Monday. He told me that he & his nephew just completed the Catalina Ski Race, skiing behind a 3 seater Waverunner.... 32 miles one way. Mike is like 62 now & not only did they get 1st place in their division, but they set a record for fastest time!

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

My buddy and I pulled a picnic table just last weekend. Turned it upside down and rode it for about 3 miles. It came right up on plane the only thing bad was all the water spraying in your face from between the boards. We had a blast. We put three people on it at the same time will get pictures posted I hope yet this week.

Did you ever see the guy dressed as a gal being pulled up on a modified shopping cart ... it was on this site ... I'm guessing about a year ago ... it was pretty funny.

Edit: Here you go Shopping Cart

Edited by MalibuNation

1984: a 5' rowboat. I was scolded and we looked stupid but it was fun as h3ll. Same week we tried a descending army parachute with my buddy attached. Thankfully we hit a rock, bent the prop and broke the drive shaft in the IO and never tried again!

Did you ever see the guy dressed as a gal being pulled up on a modified shopping cart ... it was on this site ... I'm guessing about a year ago ... it was pretty funny.

That was pretty good...

Thats funny. Looks like the waterskiing motorcycle gig that Andy Bell did on Nitro Circus with Parks Bonifay as a guest.

mother-in-law

I just spit beer out of my nose for that one!!!!

Ha, my wife didn't think that was so funny, but I llllllllllloved it. If I ever get the chance it will be on a tube behind a huge ocean cruiser!!

BTW: My wife and I are traveling back to Ohio right now (6 more hours) and we're getting a kick out all these, keep um comin!!

mother-in-law

That's awesome. The thought of pulling my mother in law.....just, wow. Crazy.gif

Over the years, my family has tried a lot of goofy things. Picnic tables (really, any kind of table), any piece of wood, couches, chairs.....but the best was a refrigerator. We had one of those really old fridges that didn't work anymore & as most of these things start (around a campfire with a bit of Yucca to help the ideas flow ;)), someone said, "I wonder if that would float?" That was all it took, it did float & the cousins did ski it. Maybe not the stupidest because nobody got hurt, but definitely one of the most creative that I've seen.

mother-in-law

Ha, my wife didn't think that was so funny, but I llllllllllloved it. If I ever get the chance it will be on a tube behind a huge ocean cruiser!!

BTW: My wife and I are traveling back to Ohio right now (6 more hours) and we're getting a kick out all these, keep um comin!!

Gotta love those cell cards. We surfed 1/2 way to Shasta & back a couple weeks ago.... with good coverage almost the entire way.

A fridge.... now thats funny. Can you draw your own beer from it too??

mother-in-law

Gotta love those cell cards. We surfed 1/2 way to Shasta & back a couple weeks ago.... with good coverage almost the entire way.

yup, Verizon and work pays the bill, gotta love it!!! Headed through mountains of WV, we'll see how well my signal holds up.

Being the OP, I might as well tell my goofy stupid story. We did this twice about 10 years ago when I was 21 or 22. My buddy had a 20' pongoon that he put a 90hp on and some automotive headlights on. This thing would easily go 30 mph. Anyways we get all sauced up and close the bar and head to the river to his trailer. Something had tainted the river that summer which made a bunch of the carp population go belly up, you couldn't go 60' without seeing a dead one that summer. So anyways we get the bright idea to go kneeboarding at 3 am behind a pongoon in a carp grave yard and when someone fell we played marco polo to find them. Stupid, I know, looking back at some of the stuff we did, some times I wonder how I'm still on this earth!!!

mother-in-law

Yeah, it was a sight to behold. You'd never get away with that now, you'd have every environmental agency down on you like stink on a pig.

In the late 70's or early 80's, Hydroslide had a photo contest. Some of my buddies and I got the idea that we could do a pyramid on a hydroslide. No, not some hydroslides, ONE hydroslide. The short story is that we turned it sideways, got three guys on knees barely hanging on, then me and another knucklehead came in from the sides and climbed up for a 5 man pyramid. This was on Black Creek, south of Jacksonville, FL and we had our photographer on a bridge that we went under.

We thought sure we'd win, but the weight of all of us on one board made so much spray that you couldn't see it at all.

What a hoot though......

What's the Stupidest Thing You Ever Tried to Pull Behind A Boat?

A liberal.......................... ROFL.gif

OK. Sorry. I had to. Yes.gif:lol:

We used to sit cross-legged in a snow disc, ride it sitting down. Driver would whip it like a tube. That thing would absolutely scream across the water and get airborn over the smallest of bumps. We took a few lumps doing that. Yes.gif