Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

98 Sportster bogs at 40 mph

Billy Bob

My '98 Sportster has developed a problem where it runs strong out of the hole until it hits about 40 mph then it bogs down as if you are quickly shutting down the throttle. When you do let up on the throttle, it picks back up again. No missing, etc. but the idle also seems rough. I've changed the plugs, rotor and cap. Fuel is fine. No starting problems and it pulls skiers with no problem. Any suggestions?/BBC

My '98 Sportster has developed a problem where it runs strong out of the hole until it hits about 40 mph then it bogs down as if you are quickly shutting down the throttle. When you do let up on the throttle, it picks back up again. No missing, etc. but the idle also seems rough. I've changed the plugs, rotor and cap. Fuel is fine. No starting problems and it pulls skiers with no problem. Any suggestions?/BBC

That sounds to me like it is starving for gas with the higher RPM's. I'd check the fuel filter next.

Is the engine up to 160*? If not it could be the phased warm-up rev limiter which is part of the software in your ECM. That is if your engine is EFI.

Is the engine up to 160*? If not it could be the phased warm-up rev limiter which is part of the software in your ECM. That is if your engine is EFI.

This is the first year of the Sportster so it is carburated. I am beginning to suspect the fuel filter. In addition to the one located in the engine compartment, is there another fuel filter somewhere that I need to check? Thanks./BBC

I had similar issues with my '02 Sunscape. A new fuel filter solved the problem completely. Even compared blowing through the old vs new and could tell the resistance difference was significant.

Good luck,

Mike

I had similar issues with my '02 Sunscape. A new fuel filter solved the problem completely. Even compared blowing through the old vs new and could tell the resistance difference was significant.

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks Mike. Is there more than one fuel filter? The obvious one is the cannister type attached to the engine but I'm suspicious there may be another one that I'm missing./BBC

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks Mike. Is there more than one fuel filter? The obvious one is the cannister type attached to the engine but I'm suspicious there may be another one that I'm missing./BBC

The "canister" one is the only one I could find on my boat to change and it was very easy and solved the problem completely. Napa has it for about 12 dollars as I recall at the time (a couple of years ago). It was on the starbord side near the fuel tank under the rear seat. I've seen it for much more elsewhere but go to Napa for a replacement if you have the same one.

Good luck,

Mike

The "canister" one is the only one I could find on my boat to change and it was very easy and solved the problem completely. Napa has it for about 12 dollars as I recall at the time (a couple of years ago). It was on the starbord side near the fuel tank under the rear seat. I've seen it for much more elsewhere but go to Napa for a replacement if you have the same one.

Thank you to all for your help. Much appreciated./BBC