Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spare key.

D-GOOSE

Do you have a spare key hiden on your boat?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a spare key hiden on your boat?

• Yes I have a spare key just in case I forgot it.
    • No I don't.
    • I need to get one.

I've always had a spare hidden on the boat. I just used it a few weeks ago as a matter of fact. Only problem is I hid the key when the boat was new so trying to remember where I put it 5 years later took a while....

I used to remove the key from ignition after every weekend but now I just leave it in the ignition unless I leave it unattended on the water in public.

I lost my key because the plastic cover that goes around the key with the malibu logo cracked and the key fell out of the plastic cover while the keys were around my wrist and I didn't notice it. Went to start the boat following weekend and to my surprise I was holding a key cover with no key Surprised.gif

• 7 months later...

Leave my spare keys at home. I keep eveything together in my black Malibu bag. When I hook up the boat I put the keys in the ignition, and I can't hook the trailer up with out the boat keychain because of the tonque lock. So shouldn't ever forget it. But I'm sure one day I will and will change my tune.

I never leave my key in the ignition. Not to keep someone from stealing it, but to keep some smarta$$ from starting it and walking off! Maybe I am just paranoid but there are people out there that would do such a thing just to be mean! As far as spares, I keep spare boat keys in the truck.

I guess I need to put my extra set of boat keys in the truck. Both my wifes Navigator and my truck have Keyless entry. It wouldn't be a bad idea to hide some truck keys and boat keys on the boat.

We keep the boat keys in the house, which is 100 yards from the boat. We never keep the keys IN the boat, since it's on a lift. The switch for the lift is locked as well. It's a small lock, but it keeps the power to the lift off. I figure if someone REALLY wants to steal the boat, they're going to steal it. I just want to keep some random person from being able to lower the boat.

Edited by GoldschlagerVT
I never leave my key in the ignition. Not to keep someone from stealing it, but to keep some smarta$$ from starting it and walking off! Maybe I am just paranoid but there are people out there that would do such a thing just to be mean! As far as spares, I keep spare boat keys in the truck.

This is what I do as well and for pretty much the same reason. Especially with small children, I don't want an accidental startup.

I just keep the key in the ignition 24/7.  If someone wants to steal the boat, a key not being in the ignition isn't going to be too much of a deterrent.

I agree.

But I still keep an extra in the ashtray of my truck

ditto... Biggrin.gif

If you forget your keys, you can easily jump out the back of your keyswitch with a flip top from a beer can. Any thief would know that, so that is why I leave my keys in the ign. Now you should never get stranded because you forgot your keys, because I know you would never forget the beer.

Edited by electricjohn
If you forget your keys, you can easily jump out the back of your keyswitch with a flip top from a beer can. Any thief would know that, so that is why I leave my keys in the ign. Now you should never get stranded because you forgot your keys, because I know you would never forget the beer.

E. John... Are you speaking from expierence? Tease2.gif

Woody, I've used that trick on an old car once or twice, but not on a boat that I remember. I did tie a shoelace around a throttle linkage that broke once so we wouldn't loose a day on the water. Createtivity is a must on a boat, especially if you go out on the ocean.