Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Damaged Kneeboard

lakewaterjunky

The other day I sat a Kneeboard on the swim platform while the boat was in the driveway. It wasn’t placed very well and a little breeze blew it off, it landed on a rear corner crushing it slightly. Concrete is not very forgiving on a kneeboard from a few feet drop, to say the least. :Doh: The worst part of it all was the fact that it belongs to my oldest daughter. When it happened I nearly got sick at my stomach, just thinking of it or looking at it makes me sad. Telling my 12 year old girl that Daddy damaged her kneeboard was humbling at best, my apology included the promise to fix it the very best that I can.

The question of the day is the following; What is going to be the best filler/adhesive to use on this thing that will do a really good job? It’s an HO Kustom btw (great board for spins and such) or at least it was.

I have ground out the damaged and crinkled parts to the point that after filling it in, it will sand down to the surrounding area nicely.

I currently have some Marine-Tex, some 3m fiberglass jelly, some 3m fiberglass jelly with strands in it and some regular Bondo body filler.

I’m also willing to buy whatever it takes to try and make this as right as possible.

Although my daughter said that my fumble is O.K., I still feel like a klutz for doing this…way to go Dad. Cry.gif

Someone please interject some knowledge of bonding/chemicals to help me fix this situation. And what about trying to paint/color match if possible? Dontknow.gif

The other day I sat a Kneeboard on the swim platform while the boat was in the driveway. It wasn’t placed very well and a little breeze blew it off, it landed on a rear corner crushing it slightly. Concrete is not very forgiving on a kneeboard from a few feet drop, to say the least. :Doh: The worst part of it all was the fact that it belongs to my oldest daughter. When it happened I nearly got sick at my stomach, just thinking of it or looking at it makes me sad. Telling my 12 year old girl that Daddy damaged her kneeboard was humbling at best, my apology included the promise to fix it the very best that I can.

The question of the day is the following; What is going to be the best filler/adhesive to use on this thing that will do a really good job? It’s an HO Kustom btw (great board for spins and such) or at least it was.

I have ground out the damaged and crinkled parts to the point that after filling it in, it will sand down to the surrounding area nicely.

I currently have some Marine-Tex, some 3m fiberglass jelly, some 3m fiberglass jelly with strands in it and some regular Bondo body filler.

I’m also willing to buy whatever it takes to try and make this as right as possible.

Although my daughter said that my fumble is O.K., I still feel like a klutz for doing this…way to go Dad. Cry.gif

Someone please interject some knowledge of bonding/chemicals to help me fix this situation. And what about trying to paint/color match if possible? Dontknow.gif

Well I just used some regular two part marine epoxy to filly in a big hole I put in a surf board (someone stepped on it with a bolt underneath), and to patch up the splintered and shattered end of a wakeboard (from being dropped on it's end). Worked out pretty well. A razor blade let me shave any irregularities down nicely and then some fine work with the dremel polishing it.