Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to replace butterfly screws on windshield

Phatom LXI

I have a 2003 Response LXI and the butterfly screws on the windshield broke. It looks like they are rivited on to the windshield. Has anyone had to do this before? There are some philips screws on the windshield piece as well, do I need to take those out first to get at the rivited pieces? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Not 100% sure but you need to drill out the top of the rivet, remove the plastic piece, grab onto the rest of the rivet with good pliers or vise grips and gently pull it out (or just push it into the frame and hope it doesn't rattle, but don't recommend that). Then replace the plastic piece and re-rivet.

Edited by Baddog
Not 100% sure but you need to drill ou the top of the rivet, remove the plastic piece, grad onto the rest of the rivet with good pliers or vise grips and gently pull it out (or jsut push it into the frame and hope it doesn't rattle, but don't recommend that). Then replace the plastic piece and re-rivet.

This matches with my experience when I had my frame powder coated. I think you will likely end up with small pieces in the frame unless you take it apart. I would just drill out, grab what you can and replace. Not likely to rattle around even if there is a small piece stuck in. If it does rattle and drive you crazy, then you'll need to pull the frame apart

Not 100% sure but you need to drill ou the top of the rivet, remove the plastic piece, grad onto the rest of the rivet with good pliers or vise grips and gently pull it out (or jsut push it into the frame and hope it doesn't rattle, but don't recommend that). Then replace the plastic piece and re-rivet.

This matches with my experience when I had my frame powder coated. I think you will likely end up with small pieces in the frame unless you take it apart. I would just drill out, grab what you can and replace. Not likely to rattle around even if there is a small piece stuck in. If it does rattle and drive you crazy, then you'll need to pull the frame apart

Best solution to the rattle if you get on eis to turn the sound up higher. Woohoo!

Thanks for your suggestions. I will just drill it out then and hope for no ratttles.