Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing the new 247

Brad B

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RiverRunner

• Ronnie

• Brad B

• stewart

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much is a Power Wedge? We don't have a problem spending $2000 on a tower or $3000 on a stereo. Why not spend $2000 on the Power Wedge?

Better yet...just sell these outdated 1 and 2 year old boats and get an '06.

Yahoo.gif

So, Are you going with RED again? :)

Are you? Biggrin.gif

I might go with Blue......

I had emailed Malibu asking a couple of questions regarding a more adjustable manual wedge. I had asked if the transoms were beefed up to handle the power wedge and the potential increased loads created by different positions. I had also asked if there were any differences in the foils themselves between the power wedge and the manual one. Here is the response I received.

I was sure that I would get the old "if you even think about doing this it will void your warranty" speech. Instead, it was a "good idea".

Hello Scott,

Thank you for writing in and allowing Malibu Boats to assist you. The standard wedge will stay the same, there has been no talk of designing or offering an adjustable wedge plate for the standard wedge. The transom has not been strengthened at all, they are the same, there was no need the transoms were already strong enough. The foils are the same size but the mounting holes are different from a standard wedge to a power wedge. The adjustable wedge foil is a good idea, I will mention your idea to our engineering dept. Also the power wedge will not be an option for any older boats, in fact you can only get one when you order a brand new boat. The power wedge cannot be purchased by anyone, if it not installed at the factory it cannot be added. If you have any questions please contact me at (209)-383-7469 or respond to this message. Thank you for your time and question.

Darren Silva

Malibu Boats

Customer Service

[email protected]

Would you really trust UWS to install a power wedge? Cmon, I wouldn't let them change my oil or put air in my trailer tires.

Did you trust the guy who changed your oil last Innocent.gif I've not had my boat over there in years for anything.

Alot more than just bolting it to the back of the boat.

A lot more? Like what, bolt on and run a couple wires? I haven't seen it, but is it really that complex?

Nothing that a dealer couldn't do.

Run wires

Install guage

Install switch

Patch old holes in transom and drill new ones.

Install the power supply for the actuating arms (?) hydrolic (?) whatever runs it up and down.

The one we had still had the access door in the platform, what's that for?

It wouldn't be adjustable out on the water but what about an angled shim between the current manual foil and the arms that increases the down angle of the foil? Leave the arms in the fully down position but just point the tip of the foil down more by putting in a wedge shim. Would likely make the bolts shear quicker though. Seems like an easy job to machine. You could make a mild shim just to make the wakeboarding wake bigger and a more extreme shim for wake surfing. Not being able to adjust out on the water would probably make it a hassle though.

Instead of making a whole new bracket with both 1/2 and full down position holes, could a new add on bracket be bolted to the existing one that provides a hole for 1/2 down? I was thinking you could bolt a plate on the outside of the existing bracket with a double thickness near the pin hole so the pin can extend into the plate.

• 1 month later...
I played with the wedge position while underway - dropped it all the way and the wave shrunk to near normal then set it back to 1/2 and you could feel the stern drop deeper.

Like Ronnie said its like a sea anchor dragging.

That ends the 1/2  or full wedge arguement for surfing!

So whos going to fabricate something that allows all of us normal non-powered wedge owners to drop our wedge half way?

this is Tim Tom's son. i am in a cad class at school right now acautlly. any way last week end while at the lake we took quite awhile measuring the 06 wedge at what the computer was saying is half way, and measued just the bracket it self on older style wedge. I have put the design in CAD and just finished cutting two peices that mimick the sides of the wedge bracket. it is made from .250 inch steel plate. i cut some .375 inch plate that will have two holes in it and will weld onto the .250 plate. the only modification to the orginal wedge bracket is going to be longer bolts on the top of the wedge arm and a .5 inch hole will have to be driller near the inside bottom coner. with this design the wedge will work in the stock postion or the two other postions. For any one that will be at the halloween washout, we will be demoing the new bracket. should be interesting. i am going to try to load the CAD design.

_tIm_