Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing the new 247

Brad B

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RiverRunner

• Ronnie

• Brad B

• stewart

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So people won't be able to get the correct angle to make a mod. Biggrin.gif

But, those that do will have a huge wake...Surfing.gif

Believe me if it enhances it half as much as the power wedge half way down on the 247 over the weekend did, it will be worth the effort to add a half way setting to the mounting plate that I am going to make.

You go boy.

But when your transom is at the bottom of the lake remember, we in no way spurred you, recommended you pursue this, or instilled any desire in you to modify your existing Wedge assembly - solely for the increase in surfability of your wakes.

;)

Which does bring up a point. Has anyone looked inside a boat with the power wedge to see if there is a plate,etc. on the inside for added support.

On the issue of not being able to adjust the wedge unless underway - I read

somewhere that Malibu did a running change in the control module in July that

allows the wedge to be adjusted at 0 mph - instead of above 2 mph like the earlier ones. I wonder if their original thinking was someone adjusting the wedge to

the "up" position while people were in the water at the rear platform - potential ouch!! Shocking.gif

But outdrives go up and down without the engine on.

Can't think of any safety problems I've heard of there.

I agree with you. My thought was if Malibu was trying to compensate for

the "Idiot Factor" - as in one kid floating under the platform & the other kid

pushing the button, etc.

But it sounds as if they came around to normal thinking since they changed it.

I would get someone to check how far down the Power Wedge actually is when set at 1/2 on the guage before I assumed that it actually is 1/2 deployed.

Since the PWedge only deploys while underway: To actually get a picture someone will have to set up a fake-A-lake to make it happen, right?

I'll bet its tied to the shifting linkage somehow cause you can't start the boat in gear

and that would the easiest way to lock it out.

Edited by LS-One
One thing that should be mentioned....

Malibu seems to be having a really difficult time with Wedges & the bolts shearing right now.  It may not be a real good idea to be experimenting with this at least at this point in time.  Just my .02.

There are several ways to fix this problem, I am not sure what they are thinking when it comes to this issue.

Why not have a secondary bracket that attaches to you current Wedge plate to hold the foil in the correct position. It may be a pain to remove it out in the water, but if all you were doing was surfing that day it would be ok.

I saw a new 247 with the power Wedge and it had 3 beefier bolts on each arm vs the two smaller ones.

Dwayne

RiverRunner,

I just fixed my wedge a couple of weeks ago. I would love to hear some ideas to fix this problem for good.

Thanks

I was thinking it might be possible to drill a bigger hole and tap in the next bigger size bolt. That should increase shear strength.

The easy fix for you and I would be to replace the stainless steel (90,000 PSI minimum ultimate tensile strength) bolts with alloy steel (180,000 PSI minimum ultimate tensile strength) bolts giving you higher shear strength than the stainless ones currently being used. With the amount on nickel in the alloy steel they should not corrode but, if they do you can go to inconel bolts which are not as cheap. Look up the company Unbrako they will be able to point you in the direction of one of their distributors local to you.

If it was my company’s problem I would retool my casting dies making the legs twice as thick at the foil and the thickness twice as long. Giving you more material for a larger diameter/longer bolt, the longer bolt will not gain anything in shear strength, the bolt is only as strong shear wise as one diameter of the bolt but, with loctite it will help it from backing out, the more threads the more surface to have to break loose.

Example: below in the picture you can see by doing this the tapped holes can be twice as deep and twice the diameter as the existing arms

It wouldn't have to be deeper, just larger diameter, since the bolts are stripping out, they are sheering off.

Though the thicker base would increase the drag, without increasing the downforce (improving the wake)

I wonder what the drag specs are.... you'd want to maximize the downforce, while minimizing the total resistance.

Whatabout a stronger bolt than the normal SS bolts (SS isn't very strong)

stewart,

That's what I was going to try if I ruined the existing treads when I drilled the old one out. Which I probably should have done I think I could have gone a little bigger.

RiverRunner,

Good idea On the different bolt strength I didn't even think of that, just thought it had to be stainless.

The other idea I had was maybe a cotter pin through the arm and bolt so it wouldn't back out. If that's whats happening here.

Thanks all for the ideas now lets get back to the ideas on the halfway wedge. :)

How much is a Power Wedge? We don't have a problem spending $2000 on a tower or $3000 on a stereo. Why not spend $2000 on the Power Wedge?

Better yet...just sell these outdated 1 and 2 year old boats and get an '06.

Yahoo.gif

How much is a Power Wedge? We don't have a problem spending $2000 on a tower or $3000 on a stereo. Why not spend $2000 on the Power Wedge?

Yahoo.gif

Trying to talk yourself into the 247 Ronnie???... Yahoo.gif

Whatabout a stronger bolt than the normal SS bolts (SS isn't very strong)

The easy fix for you and I would be to replace the stainless steel (90,000 PSI minimum ultimate tensile strength) bolts with alloy steel (180,000 PSI minimum ultimate tensile strength) bolts giving you higher shear strength than the stainless ones currently being used. With the amount on nickel in the alloy steel they should not corrode but, if they do you can go to inconel bolts which are not as cheap. Look up the company Unbrako they will be able to point you in the direction of one of their distributors local to you.

This is were I would start.

JUST SPECULATION ON MY PART--I don't know this for certain, but there may be a reason that those bolts are meant to shear by design when under too much of a load. Otherwise, you run the risk of doing bigger damage elsewhere.

JUST SPECULATION ON MY PART--I don't know this for certain, but there may be a reason that those bolts are meant to shear by design when under too much of a load.  Otherwise, you run the risk of doing bigger damage elsewhere.

If this is the case it is a very poor design, that is why the pins that lock the wedge in the down position have an undercut in them so that they will shear releasing the wedge before damage is done to the transom. Although the pins are stronger than the brass arms, if the wedge is put under enough load the arms will bend long before the pins shear...IMHO

Edited by RiverRunner

Yahoo.gif

So, Are you going with RED again? :)

Yahoo.gif

No, not yet. Probably wait until you buy my boat...

Yahoo.gif

Red...maybe, black....no way. Our river/lake runs through a salt flat up river and it's way too much clean up with the black.

Yahoo.gif

Are you? Biggrin.gif

Yahoo.gif

No, not yet. Probably wait until you buy my boat...

Hey...Andrea offered you 5K last weekend... Surprised.gif

We have talked about putting the boat on the market in the spring and see what happens so who knows?