Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

interior

ricnvic

How many people have had the seams on the seats in their boats come apart in the first year? It is doing it on the seats where you enter the boat and I am real strict on the no shoes rule in my boat but you can't help but step on the seats when entering the boat. I only have 130 hrs. on my boat and this is happening, is this unusual ?

How many people have had the seams on the seats in their boats come apart in the first year?

Wow, on an '05? That's very unusual. Did you protect the vinyl with something like 303 when new?

Has anything corrosive been used to clean the seats? Some cleaners can weaken the thread really fast.

We step all over my seats constantly (bare feet), people and my dogs which put a lot more weight per sq. inch then even a human foot, and nothing even close to coming apart at the seams.

One thing I make an effort to do is to make sure my son, friends, etc. don't "plop" down hard on the seats. I think by plopping down it puts a lot of stress on the seams, because the air pressure increases rapidly inside the cushion faster than the vents can let it out. I try to make sure everyone sits and doesn't plop, but that's about the only thing I do out of the usual.

I'd say you have a legit warranty claim unless you used something on the seats which weakened the threads. I use only Fantastic cleaner, and 303 protectant.

How many people have had the seams on the seats in their boats come apart in the first year?

Wow, on an '05? That's very unusual. Did you protect the vinyl with something like 303 when new?

Has anything corrosive been used to clean the seats? Some cleaners can weaken the thread really fast.

We step all over my seats constantly (bare feet), people and my dogs which put a lot more weight per sq. inch then even a human foot, and nothing even close to coming apart at the seams.

One thing I make an effort to do is to make sure my son, friends, etc. don't "plop" down hard on the seats. I think by plopping down it puts a lot of stress on the seams, because the air pressure increases rapidly inside the cushion faster than the vents can let it out. I try to make sure everyone sits and doesn't plop, but that's about the only thing I do out of the usual.

I'd say you have a legit warranty claim unless you used something on the seats which weakened the threads. I use only Fantastic cleaner, and 303 protectant.

303 is all I've every used. and I keep my boat in my shop, so the only time it see's sunlight is at the lake! I am bummed to say the least.

I am seeing that we (05 owners) are experiencing the pains of a growing faster than they're ready for manufacture with some of the warranty items I have read about. One of the reasons we bought a Bu was the quality of the company itself.

Either take it in or have it repaired/replaced on your next service.

I have one seam that is just about to let go right now.  You could tell it was to tight from the beginning.

I have on cushion like that too. My dervice center said take a pic, and they will get a new one under warranty. No biggie.

It was explained to me this way:

There are seams that are double (or is it triple) stitched, and you can tell because you can see a couple rows of stitching (one in the middle, and one on each side of the middle one). These are very sturdy seams. There are also the sinlge seams, like in the picture, where the piping is. I was told that the lighter one (like in the picture) is NOT warrantied (sp), but the double one is. I have been telling persons not to step hard on the piping. Both seem pretty sturdy though. I have 200 hrs on my 05, and usually have a bunch on the boat. No problems so far.

Malibu seats have always done this. They stretch the skins so tight that concentrated pressure on areas of the seats cause the seams to split. Usually where you step into the boat.

Malibu will replace the skin only. Just order the new skin from your dealer and they will have the new skin put on the seat when it comes in from the factory. For you 03-05 owners, this should still be under warrantee.

Okay, my seams are fine, but when I took my 05 boat in for service they ripped some vinyl. The dealer is saying they want to repair it (patch) and I will never know it was ever repaired. Not sure if I can really believe it. The service manager said that if I am not happy then we'll replace it.

Should I just insist that it be replaced and be done with it?? Or are these vinyl repair guys as good as the dealer claims??

Thanks.

Edited by FijiRob
Okay, my seams are fine, but when I took my 05 boat in for service they ripped some vinyl.  The dealer is saying they want to repair it (patch) and I will never know it was ever repaired.  Not sure if I can really believe it.  The service manager said that if I am not happy then we'll replace it. 

Should I just insist that it be replaced and be done with it?? Or are these vinyl repair guys as good as the dealer claims??

Thanks.

That might depend on your relationship with your dealer. You can always let them fix the rip and see how it looks when it's done. If you can't see it, then that's cool. If you can still see the tear or the patch was poorly done, then insist on a new skin.

Malibu seats have always done this. They stretch the skins so tight that concentrated pressure on areas of the seats cause the seams to split. Usually where you step into the boat.

Malibu will replace the skin only. Just order the new skin from your dealer and they will have the new skin put on the seat when it comes in from the factory. For you 03-05 owners, this should still be under warrantee.

This is exactly how my dealer fixed the problem. They ordered a new skin for the cushion and recovered it.