Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GASOLINE level for storage

Bu Yahhh

Why not go down to a small / local airport? At any rate, it is my understanding that you do not have to fill the tank with gas prior to storage as they are no longer made of metal an condensation is no longer an issue. The less gas you put in means the less stabil you put in. In addition, if you fill the tank there should be room for expansion. My dealer gets complaints from people that overfilled the tank, it overflowed from expansion, and now the graphics / gelcoat are jacked up. Don't need to fill tank, less truly is more.

it is my understanding that you do not have to fill the tank with gas prior to storage as they are no longer made of metal an condensation is no longer an issue. 

Yup. The fill'er up philosophy came from metal tanks and temperature changes causing condensation. I leave mine stabilized and as low as possible--which means minimal old gas in the spring. Add some fresh, turn the key, and she runs like a Swiss watch.

Malibu Doc from wakeside wrote this:

...if you get gas that has the 10% ethanol, it may help the condensation.

Think about it, the -OH group on the ethanol with bind with water (H2O) and keep it from causing problems. Granted, some of the ethanol will dissipate as it is more volatile that gasoline, but not all of it! Enough will be left to rid any water in the tank!

Winterizing, what is that?  We ride year round, that is what a dry suit is for.  I guess we are lucky that our season is 12 months long!

I'm with you denjoe, we can ride all year round in AZ also. Most just use a regular wet suite, 4/3 I think is the rating.

Actually, I'm the driver, the kids (20's) do the boarding in the Winter.

This year it is probably best to winterize with the tank full. That way, in the spring you can siphon out all the gas you paid $3.26 per gallon for and sell it for $4.50 per gallon (or whatever the astronomical price will be then) and make a tidy profit.

That's why I use 100LL.

that's great, next time they open up a jet fuel gas station I'll be waiting in line to pay $8 a gallon!! (sarcasm)

No thanks, Ill deal with regular gas and the perceived risk of tarnishing fuel system metal...???