Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is the one trick you want to learn before winterizing your boat this year?

luvtheBU

Since I don't have my slalom ski yet. I must say that I want to land my W2W HS and at least be able to pop the wake TS, if I land it great if not there is always next year, if we get to go out all weekend over Labor Day vacation should be doable.

PYRO wants to do a 360. The other boys usually follow his lead, PITA has been working on that too.

I'd also like to be able to get Dear Hubby up at least once. The boom would probably help with this and we will be taking it out over Labor Day.

Since I don't have my slalom ski yet. I must say that I want to land my W2W HS and at least be able to pop the wake TS, if I land it great if not there is always next year, if we get to go out all weekend over Labor Day vacation should be doable.

PYRO wants to do a 360. The other boys usually follow his lead, PITA has been working on that too.

I'd also like to be able to get Dear Hubby up at least once. The boom would probably help with this and we will be taking it out over Labor Day.

Just got back from the river. I feel like I really need to get my HS backroll and the TS frontroll dialed before I winterize. Only about two months left to get the bugs worked out.

Just got back from the river. I feel like I really need to get my HS backroll and the TS frontroll dialed before I winterize. Only about two months left to get the bugs worked out.

I was trying to convince PYRO or PITA to try that too, they both get a ton of air off my puny little wake so I am pretty sure they could do it. It would help to have someone on the boat to coach them. Next year I think I'd like to sent them to a wakeboarding camp for a week.

Good luck with your rolls.

I was trying to convince PYRO or PITA to try that too, they both get a ton of air off my puny little wake so I am pretty sure they could do it. It would help to have someone on the boat to coach them. Next year I think I'd like to sent them to a wakeboarding camp for a week.

Do you have "The Book" DVD's? Better bang for the buck than camp, IMO. Especially if you have an experienced rider that can ride with you from time to time to make sure everyone is getting it right. If you do decide to go the camp route, The Orlando Wakeboard Academy run by Sean O'Brien and Derek Seaman is an excellent choice. Plus, they are two of the nicest and most humble people you will ever meet.

http://orlandowakeboard.com/?gclid=CISfkt7...CFQxM5Qodlh-tLQ

HS Method. I'm not sure I'm going to get there though. My original goal for the summer was to style out all my grabs and work on poking them different directions. I'm happy with my backhanded grabs like indy, stale, tale, roastbeef....but my front handed grabs, specifically, melan looks like poop. I'm not sure if I'll get my Method if I can't even dial up a melan! Ugh! Anybody have tips? I just can't level out properly. It looks like a Rocket Melan or something stupid.

HS Method. I'm not sure I'm going to get there though. My original goal for the summer was to style out all my grabs and work on poking them different directions. I'm happy with my backhanded grabs like indy, stale, tale, roastbeef....but my front handed grabs, specifically, melan looks like poop. I'm not sure if I'll get my Method if I can't even dial up a melan! Ugh! Anybody have tips? I just can't level out properly. It looks like a Rocket Melan or something stupid.

Dude....Goodluck with your grabs, I'm no help to you at all I had to Ctrl V and search just to know what you were saying. Maybe this winter I will learn the language for the tricks....Wow you must be pretty good, if you are ever in MT in the summer you can come show my boys a few of your grabs if you don't mind. Thumbup.gif

Do you have "The Book" DVD's? Better bang for the buck than camp, IMO. Especially if you have an experienced rider that can ride with you from time to time to make sure everyone is getting it right. If you do decide to go the camp route, The Orlando Wakeboard Academy run by Sean O'Brien and Derek Seaman is an excellent choice. Plus, they are two of the nicest and most humble people you will ever meet.

http://orlandowakeboard.com/?gclid=CISfkt7...CFQxM5Qodlh-tLQ

Yep those DVD's are going to be stocking stuffers for the boys this year...ya ya I still stuff their stupid stockings, usually with useful stuff like this DVD and underwear and socks.

Dude....Goodluck with your grabs, I'm no help to you at all I had to Ctrl V and search just to know what you were saying. Maybe this winter I will learn the language for the tricks....Wow you must be pretty good, if you are ever in MT in the summer you can come show my boys a few of your grabs if you don't mind. Thumbup.gif

I'm not that good, trust me! :) Learning the names of the grabs are easy:

Back hand:

Back of the board= tail

behind your feet=stalefish (your supposed to poke this out to look right)

right in front of you, between your feet feet: indy

Go between your legs to grab back of board: Roast beef

Front hand:

Front of board=nose grab

front of board with nose in air=rocket

behind your feet, but towards front foot=melan

right in front of you between your feet=mute

A method is more of a move than a grab. You turn your back to the boat in the air and grab melan with the bottom of the board facing the boat.

There's a lot of variations to these grabs, but the hardcore guys think they're gimmicky. A rocket would fall into this category too. I think even a roast beef is 'frowned upon', but they look too cool to not do! :) Anyway, I love Montana and I'd love to ride with ya if I'm ever there. I used to visit Whitefish in the winter a lot, but don't get out that way much anymore.

I'm not that good, trust me! :) Learning the names of the grabs are easy:

Back hand:

Back of the board= tail

behind your feet=stalefish (your supposed to poke this out to look right)

right in front of you, between your feet feet: indy

Go between your legs to grab back of board: Roast beef

Front hand:

Front of board=nose grab

front of board with nose in air=rocket

behind your feet, but towards front foot=melan

right in front of you between your feet=mute

A method is more of a move than a grab. You turn your back to the boat in the air and grab melan with the bottom of the board facing the boat.

There's a lot of variations to these grabs, but the hardcore guys think they're gimmicky. A rocket would fall into this category too. I think even a roast beef is 'frowned upon', but they look too cool to not do! :) Anyway, I love Montana and I'd love to ride with ya if I'm ever there. I used to visit Whitefish in the winter a lot, but don't get out that way much anymore.

Thanks, I just signed up for the Wakeboarding magazine and I am going to cut and paste your responses so the boys can start working on it. They like to try and look cool out there....LOL

I just checked out the Orlando wakeboard school with Sean O'brien that kid is awesome. I would love, love, love to send my kids there thety would have such a blast. My husband doesn't know this yet but I have serious plans for my little E man. By the time he starts hitting the water I will have us a sweet place on the water picked out and my little guy will be competing in some form of watersports. ;)

Only I want for Christmas is to get up on the stupid skinny ski consistently. That's tricky enough for me.

You have probably already tried one of those deep "V" handles I assume? If not they work pretty dang good.

Only I want for Christmas is to get up on the stupid skinny ski consistently. That's tricky enough for me.

You have probably already tried one of those deep "V" handles I assume? If not they work pretty dang good.

I have, but keeping the ski straight is not the issue. It's more likely I am trying to stand up too soon, I get drowned in the major spray up the nose phase and give up too early. Just a wimp, I guess but gonna keep trying unitl I get it. Got up on a medium-skinny ski this morning with no problems until the second set where I pulled something in my arm and didn't get up. Shyte.

But I am still gonna keep trying.

The Method grab, which was my new trick for this summer, was a three part process for me to get it down.

1. Twisting without going all the way around was hard for me to learn so I first focused on doing the faky twist with no grab.

2. Then I worked on a rear hand indy grab with the faky twist just to get used to grabbing and twisting at the same time.

3. Once I was compitent in doing that I went for the full Method.

Good luck. Its a great looking trick especially when you go big!

For some reason I decided I wanted to try to learn to do a backroll before the end of the summer. I tried some a few days ago and only got a 3/4 rotation. According to my daughter I was trying to rotate before getting any pop from the wake.

We went out this morning and I was going to try again when I wiped out and realized that I had ripped one of the board inserts out from my left boot destroying the board. I've never broken a board before. We called up the shop and they said to bring it in, which we did. They swapped out the board for a brand new SS Recoil, but talked me into getting a slightly bigger board. I also decided to go ahead and buy some new boots, as mine were getting worn out anyway, and I thought it would be better to go with the SS boots that are attached to the board by 4 bolts each instead of the usual 2 each. I went with the SS D3 boots. I'm anxious to try them and the new board out, so maybe we will get out again tomorrow. If not, we will definitely be getting out again on Wednesday.

:blush: Uhhhh, just a W2W would be nice. Think I am closing in on it, but now that I am finally getting "pop" the nose of the board wants to pop up and I don't know how to deal with that yet. I can do some simple surface tricks but I never want to work on them for some reason because the biggest hurtle seems to be the w2w.

360 is my goal,I have all my grabs, clearing the wake ect down and can land the 360 (sometimes 360 plus a half turn) but keeping the rope is my problem. I have around three weeks to get it down as long as the effin rain stops.

Any new invert or spin that doesn't leave me with a cracked or broken rib or a blown out ear drum. Almost suceeded on both of those today. I might have a blown out ear drum but won't be sure for a few days. I was trying a TS backroll and HS360 and they went horribly wrong but hea I got the backroll pretty consistent. Maybe grab the backroll would be cool. Thumbup.gif

:blush: Uhhhh, just a W2W would be nice. Think I am closing in on it, but now that I am finally getting "pop" the nose of the board wants to pop up and I don't know how to deal with that yet. I can do some simple surface tricks but I never want to work on them for some reason because the biggest hurtle seems to be the w2w.

I will second this one.

But I really want to do a 360 on the surfboard.

The Method grab, which was my new trick for this summer, was a three part process for me to get it down.

1. Twisting without going all the way around was hard for me to learn so I first focused on doing the faky twist with no grab.

2. Then I worked on a rear hand indy grab with the faky twist just to get used to grabbing and twisting at the same time.

Sounds like I'm moving in the right direction then. I can do a big flat Indy and poke it aaaalllmost as far as I need to for a Method. It's when I use my front hand to grab that I lose control of the whole thing. Thanks for the advice!

JOHNSVT: Good luck with that backside 180. Those look soooo sick. Are you tryin that TS or HS? I've never seen a TS BS 180 in person.

Sounds like I'm moving in the right direction then. I can do a big flat Indy and poke it aaaalllmost as far as I need to for a Method. It's when I use my front hand to grab that I lose control of the whole thing. Thanks for the advice!

JOHNSVT: Good luck with that backside 180. Those look soooo sick. Are you tryin that TS or HS? I've never seen a TS BS 180 in person.

H/S...I have seen a couple t/s backside spins and they look very hard.

Working on all the grabs. Once you get w2w, it's amazing how much better you can plan a trick or grab. You know the exact length and time of your jump, and can see your landing spot.

And barefooting behind a long line. Was supposed to try that over the weekend, horrible weather. Not that it was too cold or too rainy for me (I'm in a wetsuit), but I couldn't get a driver! Then yesterday the sun came out and along with it the 15mph North wind chopping up our lake. Great. We made chili instead.

MalibuNation
Working on all the grabs. Once you get w2w, it's amazing how much better you can plan a trick or grab. You know the exact length and time of your jump, and can see your landing spot.

And barefooting behind a long line. Was supposed to try that over the weekend, horrible weather. Not that it was too cold or too rainy for me (I'm in a wetsuit), but I couldn't get a driver! Then yesterday the sun came out and along with it the 15mph North wind chopping up our lake. Great. We made chili instead.

I almost called ya ... was chomping at the bit yesterday!

For me I'd like to go W2W