Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"Check Engine" rant..

Winz

The check engine alarm is a frequent deal on my 06 wakesetter. What is really annoying, is that some days it happens every 10 minutes or so, and other days it does not come on at all. Each time it comes on I just press the magic red button to stop it and motor on my way as I have no clue what set it off and am unwilling to pull my boat out of the water and take it to a dealer just to find out what the issue is. I am use to resetting it now, but I have to teach anyone else driving the boat to "just push the red button" when the warning comes on.

Speaking of dealer, I just got my boat back today from its 100 hour service. Regarding the check engine issue, the tech said "we just cleared some old error codes, should be fine". No root-cause reason given for why this keeps happening (and therefore no assurance that it will not stop happening).

It seems that there must be various sensors in the engine, transmission, etc that set this alarm off. You would think, at a a minimum, the system would be programmed with enough intelligence to let you know what sensor indicates trouble. Something like "check oil level, check ignition system, check impeller, check throttle linkage" would be far more useful than some idiot message that requires you to take the boat to a dealer for diagnostics.

Perhaps this is an Indimar issue, but given it is part of a Malibu boat, it makes it a Malibu issue.

Frustrating.......

The check engine alarm is a frequent deal on my 06 wakesetter. What is really annoying, is that some days it happens every 10 minutes or so, and other days it does not come on at all. Each time it comes on I just press the magic red button to stop it and motor on my way as I have no clue what set it off and am unwilling to pull my boat out of the water and take it to a dealer just to find out what the issue is. I am use to resetting it now, but I have to teach anyone else driving the boat to "just push the red button" when the warning comes on.

Speaking of dealer, I just got my boat back today from its 100 hour service. Regarding the check engine issue, the tech said "we just cleared some old error codes, should be fine". No root-cause reason given for why this keeps happening (and therefore no assurance that it will not stop happening).

It seems that there must be various sensors in the engine, transmission, etc that set this alarm off. You would think, at a a minimum, the system would be programmed with enough intelligence to let you know what sensor indicates trouble. Something like "check oil level, check ignition system, check impeller, check throttle linkage" would be far more useful than some idiot message that requires you to take the boat to a dealer for diagnostics.

Perhaps this is an Indimar issue, but given it is part of a Malibu boat, it makes it a Malibu issue.

Frustrating.......

Sorry your having so many issues though I would point out that MOST cars operate under the same conditions.......just a check engine light and nothing else. The tech that cleared the codes is really the source of your issues. First you should have been notifiedof the codes, then each one of the codes should have been diagnosed. I would be discussing the situation with the dealer and perhaps take it in this winter when you have time. I have an automotive back ground but I cant see why a boat would be handled any differently in this case.

just my professional opinion, and good luck.

Alot of times a low battery can send off a bunch of codes, SOP is to clear the codes and see what comes back. Of course the tech would of had to record which codes he cleared to do so.

-Chris

Alot of times a low battery can send off a bunch of codes, SOP is to clear the codes and see what comes back. Of course the tech would of had to record which codes he cleared to do so.

-Chris

Just to expand on what Chris touched upon with the low battery mention: a buddy's VTX with two batteries was frequently having the "service required" pop up. He was told to check his battery terminals and while doing so found battery 2 dead. Replaced the battery, no more issue.

-Chris

Depending on the code- most codes should not be cleared until after the repair has been made. Following the repair, the repair should be verified before it is given back to the customer.