Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much do you drink??

Ndawg12

How many?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. On a nice 90+ degree day with the normal size crew how many drinks will you consume (in an 8 hour outing), state why below if you don't mind.

• None
    • 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • 9-10
    • 11-12
    • However many it takes, I'm not driving or responsible for anything!

Now that I am older (52) and more mature(?), in an 8 hr day, maybe 6 at times. Back in my teen and twentys' years, when my Winner was used every day it didn't rain, that was a different story. We would load up the boat with up to 8 people, head out to the ocean with a full cooler, and ski (doubles and trick's) up and down the coast of NJ all day. We only stopped for gas and more beer. By the end of the day you couldn't see the floor of the boat with all the empties. And it was all legal back then, and we didn't litter. The Coast Guard even gave up harrassing us. Usually for overloading, but I changed the label in my boat to a highter load capacity and hp rating. The boat is 14 ft and I had a propped down 115 hp outboard on it. Needed the power for barefooting. Oh, and no one ever got hurt in the 15+ years we did this.

Or they just didn't remember :)

Or care.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ndawg12

• Michigan boarder

• Baddog

• 68Slalom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never worth it to me when on the boat as I designate myself as the driver. I have no issues with whatever the others want to do and I'll have a few when we get back home and get the boat tucked away. As others have said, I've seen way too much happen because other boaters don't take the same approach. At least I think my crew and I are in a better situation if I stay clear of alcohol while behind the wheel on my watch.

I'm in the 6 drinks range in 8 hours - a very relaxed less-than-one-an-hour kinda' guy. Mid 40's, 230#, and very, very conscious about safety. I think I can consume that much alcohol and command a boat better than 99.9% of people I've ever encountered on the water - whether they are sober or not. It's just lots of time behind the wheel. With that said though - when I'm at the helm of my big boat (26,000 pounds 40'er), I don't drink at all. Not sure why - I'm sober at 6 beers in 8 hours. I just don't.

And I don't much like it when people say I'm unsafe because I might consume 6 beers in 8 hours. That's just me though.

ONLY drink A beer with pizza at a dive that's 45 minutes away from home, (I never drink beer) MAYBE two Margs all day, someone has to be the adult! plus I never felt comfortable trusting someone to be the DD! (mostly Diet Dew) Rockon.gif

Sorry if this has been done before, but lets do it again!! Thumbup.gif

I have found that since I got my boat (and my son around the same time) my drinking has curtailed somewhat. When with friends in any situation I would drink to get feeling pretty good and sometimes a little more. But I have found that since I'm responsible for so much while boating (driving to ramp, unloading, driving boat, watching my son, loading, driving home) that there's no way I can drink more than 6 beers in an 8 hour period and still stay on top of things at all times. I have also noticed this has spilled over into drinking situations off the boat as well. Once again, another instance where the BU was a spectacular purchase!! And my son too!!

BTW: I'm not an alcoholic and never was, just took me a little longer to grow up!!

You purchased your son??? I have to say I am a little uncomfortable with that.

He's to cute to be mine!! JJ, you know what I meant!!

6 beers? Maybe in a month... :lol:

When we go out for evening sets though...I'll take 3 Pacifico's (one for each of us)...nothing better after the 3rd guy has had his third set...just shut the boat down and relax and relive the passes with a cold one. :) Helps you forget how many times you broke at the waist... :lol:

Now that I am older (52)...

I'm so glad to see there's someone here that's older than me. Tongue.gif

Chit you have some time but I will let you know I quit having birthdays so you will catch up but you have some room to spare. :blush:

I posted another thread about a boating accident in MS but it seems the latest news about this accident fits this thread.

The guy who caused the accident crashed head-on with a bass boat, killed one, sent another to the hospital and left a 4-year-old in the water, was fleeing from the marine patrol because he was drunk and didn't want to get caught.

http://www.wreg.com/sns-ap-ms--boatingdeath,0,6681015.story

I posted another thread about a boating accident in MS but it seems the latest news about this accident fits this thread.

The guy who caused the accident crashed head-on with a bass boat, killed one, sent another to the hospital and left a 4-year-old in the water, was fleeing from the marine patrol because he was drunk and didn't want to get caught.

http://www.wreg.com/sns-ap-ms--boatingdeath,0,6681015.story

Part of owning a boat is to be responsible/fun so before I would s say maybe one or two but after reading this I think NONE makes me think about my son so man up and be responsible.

Edited by MR. BU
When towing, none of us drink (with the exception if someone can't ride). However when we're cruising, everyone else is drinking away, but I stick to pop. I can drink when we get back to the dock if I want. I've already seen 3 accidents this year caused by drinking (2 of them scary).

I don't think I've had "pop" before. They must only sell that up north. Tease2.gif

It's better than down south where everything is coke. "What kind of coke would you like?...uh...Coke"

When towing, none of us drink (with the exception if someone can't ride). However when we're cruising, everyone else is drinking away, but I stick to pop. I can drink when we get back to the dock if I want. I've already seen 3 accidents this year caused by drinking (2 of them scary).

I don't think I've had "pop" before. They must only sell that up north. Tease2.gif

It's better than down south where everything is coke. "What kind of coke would you like?...uh...Coke"

Ha! I'm from Ohio but moved to NC 5 years ago. That is one of the first lessons learned, soda or coke is acceptable, pop is what yankees drink!! Oh yeah and a grocery cart is called a buggy!! WTF, still haven't gotten used to that one!! Crazy.gif

We nearly always ride in the early mornings about 6:30am-9am. no drinks that early!

After that we go eat and chill for a while at the house, come back on the boat around noon or 1pm.

I might have 7 or 8 beers while we are out from noon till 6pm or so. It really not that big of a deal, in many ways driving a boat is much easier than driving a car. We are anchored and swimming pretty much the entire afternoon also, so not a lot of opportunity to crash.

The boat drive back to my dock is about 4mins, and I've pulled into my slip a thousand times buzzed. Just becareful, and go slow. we've never had a problem or a crash of any sorts....

th_DSCN0385.jpg

th_DSC01331.jpg

th_DSCN0317.jpg

th_DSCF0424.jpg

You can take the dawg out of Georgia, but you can't take the Georgia out of the dawg!! LMAO Rockon.gif

I guess we just drink more here in GA. It's hit or miss with us, if I'm going out with a few folks we usually pack a six pack or so and have leftovers. Although there have been days when all we do is surf and beer surf and most of the time there is one or two people sober enough to know how to drive and take the boat out of the water. It's all about moderation and responsibility! Beer.gif

Wow I must hang out with the wrong crowd!

Drinks no one drinks on my boat! Water that is! It is 5 o clock somewhere! Cheers.gifBeer.gifBeer.gifBeer.gifBeer.gifBeer.gifBeer.gifBeer.gifBeer.gif

I have had a CL smooth in my hand during our boat inspection. We do party hard, but we always have someone that is sober enough to take care of things. After all that is why I got married I needed a DD! Notworthy.gif

Edited by enelson

We have a home on a lake so there is nothing like a few good drinks after a long summer day on the water. But we never drink and drive a boat. We do allow alcohol in moderation on our boat but never the driver which is usually me. Heck, have fun but be responsible.

Depends on the day and who is with me. I love ice cold beer.... but I never drive impaired too many responsibilities, and I know when I am impaired. But I do love going out with my hubby in the late evening after we drop the kids off and send them home after wakeboarding all day. That's when an ice cold beer is truly appreciated if you have teens you can relate if not well let's just say it's nice to relax with another adult on board and hang out on the teak with our feet in the water chilling.

th_DSCN0385.jpg

th_DSC01331.jpg

th_DSCN0317.jpg

th_DSCF0424.jpg

You can take the dawg out of Georgia, but you can't take the Georgia out of the dawg!! LMAO Rockon.gif

I guess we just drink more here in GA. It's hit or miss with us, if I'm going out with a few folks we usually pack a six pack or so and have leftovers. Although there have been days when all we do is surf and beer surf and most of the time there is one or two people sober enough to know how to drive and take the boat out of the water. It's all about moderation and responsibility! Beer.gif

I might get into trouble for saying this but.......Dang that's hot!!!!

th_DSCN0385.jpg

th_DSC01331.jpg

th_DSCN0317.jpg

th_DSCF0424.jpg

I might get into trouble for saying this but.......Dang that's hot!!!!

That's a great idea, keg ballast!! The drunker you get, the less ballast and wake you get, you stay good all day!!