Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oops!! I forgot the bungee

I got my buddies wakeboard out of the rack and forgot to replace the bungee around the surfboard. So after he gets up and we get up to speed, there it goes. Luckily it didn't hit anyone but it did put a 1" hole in the brand new seatback that I had Malibu in TN replace 3 months ago!!! I know people say, "dont do it yourself, get a professional" but the cheapest quote has been $150!! I guess not many people do it in this area. It's only an inch long, any suggestions for this DIY'er or do I have to pony up the money.

post-8316-1251289977_thumb.jpg

Edited by nemire12

For much smaller nicks I just use a bit of superglue to bond it back together.

Interesting on how high that is. In this area that'd cost $40 to patch and you'd never be able to tell. Look up the local vinyl and leather repair shops. Ask your local restaraunt owners who they have on contract to repair their vinyl booths. Ask your marina who comes out most often to repair things. There's someone with price more in line.

Another option would be to get a reference from a higher end car dealer - Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc. They typically have a vinyl repair person in a couple of days a week.

I had to have a tear in a lower door panel repaired & they did a wonderful job.

Edited by wienrdog
I'd pony up, that is a high traffic area and you won't want a big nick there.

But I will agree $150 is way high for that repair.

-Chris

I finally found a guy on craigslist that will come to my house and do it for $50!!!! That's still a little higher than what I've heard is the norm but I can live with that!! Thumbup.gif

Edited by nemire12

I use a product called VLP for small stuff like that. It's clear and kind of melts into the vinyl. I have repairs that are now 10 years old and still strong and invisible.

I use a product called VLP for small stuff like that. It's clear and kind of melts into the vinyl. I have repairs that are now 10 years old and still strong and invisible.

I wonder if that stuff, the vlp or the e6000 would prolong the life of the seams. The previous owner used bleach or alike to clean all the cushions in the boat. Well, that ate away the wax coating on the cotton stitch and they basically dissintegrated. I think there is a stitch internally that is still holding them together, barely. I wonder if a heavy duty glue ran along the entire seam would give me some more hold and extend the life of all my cushions.

I think that would stand a good chance of looking pretty bad pretty quickly. Have you had it looked at by an upholstery shop? Maybe they've got some ideas, or maybe the guy that comes out to do the repair would. Just a thought.

Malibu in TN is who told me how it probably happened and they wouldn't warranty it, which I understood. They did want to replace every single cushion in the boat except for 2. The actual vinyl is still in great shape and I didn't have the funds at the time, so far (knock on wood) none of them have blown out yet. That's a good idea, I'll have the repair guy give me some suggestions or may be just have him do it.

Edited by nemire12
For small dings I use e6000 clear. It will not get any worse.

Does this stuff dry rock hard like super glue or is it pliable?

It is still somewhat pliable