Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Titan Tower Install on mid-90's Response Support


gmoneycrf450

Recommended Posts

Has anyone out there put a Titan Tower on a mid-90's Malibu? We starting putting one on this past Friday afternoon and ran into a problem with 3/4" piece of PVC that runs down the length of the underside of the gunnel that serves as a wire chase for speaker, interior lights and fuel sending unit wires...now I know why Titan doesn't do installs...lol My buddy and I have some ideas on how to get around this issue, but any advice from anyone who has already done this would be much appreciated!

Edited by gmoneycrf450
Link to post
Has anyone out there put a Titan Tower on a mid-90's Malibu? We starting putting one on this past Friday afternoon and ran into a problem with 3/4" piece of PVC that runs down the length of the underside of the gunnel that serves as a wire chase for speaker, interior lights and fuel sending unit wires...now I know Titan doesn't do installs...lol My buddy and I have some ideas on how to get around this issue, but any advice from anyone who has already done this would be much appreciated!

Last one I saw, they just cut out a section of the PVC to make room for the plates. Once the plate is on, replace the old piece (which is now split lengthwise) or use something else to fill that missing section.

Edited by Shine
Link to post

This is a common issue on any tower install on most any boat. There are also speedo tubes in there full of water. You'll need to cut the PVC out, flatten the area where the bottom plate will be located, then move the wires & tubes to the side to make room for the nuts, bolts & bottom plates.

Link to post
This is a common issue on any tower install on most any boat. There are also speedo tubes in there full of water. You'll need to cut the PVC out, flatten the area where the bottom plate will be located, then move the wires & tubes to the side to make room for the nuts, bolts & bottom plates.

Yeah....they hold that PVC up with a fiberglass wrap that I'll have to cut out too....that's gonna be the part that sucks...I had everything prepped and ready to go thinking this was going to be a no-brainer and then ran into this....always something...

Edited by gmoneycrf450
Link to post

Yep, I used a Dremel tool & a variety of bits for the job. Just be careful to not cut any wires or speedo tubes in there.

As I recall it's only an issue on the driver's side, rear foot.

Link to post
Yep, I used a Dremel tool & a variety of bits for the job. Just be careful to not cut any wires or speedo tubes in there.

As I recall it's only an issue on the driver's side, rear foot.

unfortunately it's an issue on both sides for mine, but my neighbor and I will get through it....I started with a Dremel on Friday, but he says he has an attachement that will work better so we're gonna hit it again this week. Thanks!

Link to post

Tip of the day: Get an old yardstick, (you know, the wooden 3 foot one? ;) ) and slide it into the end of the pvc wire chase, under the wires. This will hold the wires up about halfway, allowing you to cut out the bottom half of the pipe. Turn the yardstick 90 degrees and continue cutting, using the yardstick to hold the wires on the opposite side of where you're working.

Peter

Link to post
This is a common issue on any tower install on most any boat. There are also speedo tubes in there full of water. You'll need to cut the PVC out, flatten the area where the bottom plate will be located, then move the wires & tubes to the side to make room for the nuts, bolts & bottom plates.

Yeah....they hold that PVC up with a fiberglass wrap that I'll have to cut out too....that's gonna be the part that sucks...I had everything prepped and ready to go thinking this was going to be a no-brainer and then ran into this....always something...

We got it completed last night and it came out great...a dremel with a cutting wheel and a lot of patience did the trick...except now we won't be able to use it until I get the boat out of the shop after we nailed a submerged log in the river last week...at least a month for repairs....

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...