Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer leaf spring

AGU 671

Just before Labor Day I snapped one of the leaf springs on my trailer. I went to local trailer parts store and matched up the length and number of leafs (4). It was rated at 2400 lbs. I needed it before the long weekend so I bought it and put it on. The ride height is the same as the old one and it seemed to ride Ok.

The trailer is a 1999 Elite, single axle with a 2000 RLX. The plate says the gross weight for trlr and boat is 4500 lbs. My question is that if the old leaf is a 2400#(guessing) and the new one is 2400# = 4800# is approx. 300 lbs over the gross weight enough? Is there a % you should be over the gross?

Thanks!

Just before Labor Day I snapped one of the leaf springs on my trailer.  I went to local trailer parts store and matched up the length and number of leafs (4).  It was rated at 2400 lbs.  I needed it before the long weekend so I bought it and put it on.  The ride height is the same as the old one and it seemed to ride Ok.

The trailer is a 1999 Elite, single axle with a 2000 RLX.  The plate says the gross weight for trlr and boat is 4500 lbs.  My question is that if the old leaf is a 2400#(guessing) and the new one is 2400# = 4800# is approx. 300 lbs over the gross weight enough? Is there a % you should be over the gross? 

Thanks!

It should be just fine. There is most likely a safety factor of 2 or 3.

I questioned that 110% when my spring broke and we almost lost the boat and the kids in the truck.

If you add the wet weight of the boat and the weight of the trailer frame, it is very close to the gross weight rating of most trailers. Then you load it up with your stuff. I went for the next heavier spring, replaced all four and the hardware. My boat sits at least 2" higher, and I don't worry how much I load into the boat when we go for a long weekend somewhere.

The new springs are 3k/axle.

when my '99 elite trailer broke a spring the trailer shop said that the trailer was not sufficient for the load ('99 sportster cb). trailer shop said the mfgr. spec. on boat weight was low so they could reduce trailer (therefore package) cost. i would suggest hitting the scales to see what the package weighs rather than relying on the mfgr. specs.