Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Folding Illusion Tower / Removing Pins

Stuey11

Hey guys... new to the crew, just bought a new (leftover) 2008 Wakesetter VTX. It has the Illusion tower. I can't figure out how to fold it! I have tried wiggling the tower around, pushing it up and down to relieve stress on the pins, but can't get them out. The 'rings' were tucked away in the side of the tower and I managed to turn those to the 'unlock' direction, but still cannot get them out.

ANy ideas? I would call my dealer but they are closed Mondays, and I need to get this thing in my garage!

Thanks..

Hey guys... new to the crew, just bought a new (leftover) 2008 Wakesetter VTX. It has the Illusion tower. I can't figure out how to fold it! I have tried wiggling the tower around, pushing it up and down to relieve stress on the pins, but can't get them out. The 'rings' were tucked away in the side of the tower and I managed to turn those to the 'unlock' direction, but still cannot get them out.

ANy ideas? I would call my dealer but they are closed Mondays, and I need to get this thing in my garage!

Thanks..

Get your shoulder up under the tower so that you can still reach the ring and push up on one side and the pin will unload and you can pull it. Then put a foam block, folded beach towel or something like that on your dash above the steering wheel to the left (this is to support the tower when folded down) and then get your shoulder up under the other side, push up and pull that pin. There is still a bit of weight even with the spring loaded assist. When you push up the tower with your shoulder it also makes it easier to rotate the pins to the unlock position. Using your shoulder is important because when you pull the second pin you need to support the weight of the tower until you can move around to the middle and lower it.

If you have lights or speakers, it will also add to the weight you are lowering and may affect where your cusioning can go on the dash and how thick it is.

BTW - Welcome to TMC - time to get out your Visa!

Edited by MalibuTime

Sweet, thanks, it was a little difficult by myself but with a buddy it worked ok. I just didn't want to break anything! Yeah I have 4 titan tower speakers on it so I'll probably end up cutting a 2x4 and pad the top of it to support the tower while its down, as I'll probably leave it down while its in the garage. My old boats tower can stay lift all the way up but it folds to the rear, with the illusion folding from the front I don't think it will clear the garage door motor.

Thanks.. the visa is already out! Bought some transom leds and other stuff from Bakes on the weekend, plus a new amp and some Pro 80s for the tower.

Sweet, thanks, it was a little difficult by myself but with a buddy it worked ok. I just didn't want to break anything! Yeah I have 4 titan tower speakers on it so I'll probably end up cutting a 2x4 and pad the top of it to support the tower while its down, as I'll probably leave it down while its in the garage. My old boats tower can stay lift all the way up but it folds to the rear, with the illusion folding from the front I don't think it will clear the garage door motor.

Thanks.. the visa is already out! Bought some transom leds and other stuff from Bakes on the weekend, plus a new amp and some Pro 80s for the tower.

I can imagine that is quite a bit of weight. I can do the tower myself but I don't have any speakers up there Cry.gif If you make one support to force the tower all of the way up and unload the pins (and another for when it is down) then you should be able to do it by yourself.

I fold my by myself all the time. I put it in the garage everyday as well as you do. I also have 4 Titan speakers, the bimini, and 2 Titan swivels, and 2 metcraft racks on the tower. You can tighten the helper springs for the tower as well. It does help quite a bit. If you send me a pm with your e-mail address I can send you a quick adjustment guide.

I have a bunch of weight on my tower so to collapse it I put a ratcheting tie down from the ski pylon to the tower pylon and cinch it until it takes the load off the pins so they are easy to remove.

Edited by mellen_mpz

I fold my tower every time it goes into garage,,,once put away,I "Tie" the tower back up as high as I can get it. I guess I am thinking that if it sits in the "down" position all week,,,it will end up stretching the spring assistance out of it over time?? I have never really took a close look at the spring system,,but I am picturing in my mind a "stretched out" spring when it is in the down position. Plus by tipping it back up,,it allows me to walk all the way through the boat for cleaning.