Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I can't believe I am going to tell ya'll this....

luvtheBU

In that picture, the raw water pump is attached to the pulley with the belt & the big hoses coming off the back.

The big thing with the nuts that look like they've never been touched & smaller hoses looks like the fuel pump. (As stated by Jason K a few posts back).

The pump should look like these parts...

Edited by wienrdog
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luvtheBU

• Baddog

• Michigan boarder

• REW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just change the impeller to be safe, and don't worry about the strut bushing. It you didn't hear a nasty squeal when the boat was in gear, it was plenty lubed up with water. No damage done there.

I wish my wife would learn to back a trailer or otherwise operate my boat. We boat out of a private club with two (always empty) double ramps now, though, so I can launch/load by myself without holding anybody up. So now she thinks there is no reason to learn. Trying to do everything myself made for some bad situations at the public ramps before we got into the club, though.

My wife has finnally decided it would be a good idea for her to learn to back the Bu into the water and maybe even get it into its parking space. Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif

TIP.... when teaching her, that is if she needs to be taught. Tell her how to do it then LEAVE, let her do it at her own pace, for some reason you guys make us nervous. I think it's cuz we think different when your with us. When your gone we have to do it and jumping in feet first nomatter what it is; is the best way to overcome fear. When you come back she'll probably steal all of your jobs from you, it's gonna be "Her Boat" before long, careful. We are pretty posseive little creatures, don't ya know.

Would this be because when we say: "Turn the wheel to the left." you are thinking about:

A. Does he mean left or the other left?

B. If I turn left will it make my butt look big?

C. Is he mad at me?

D. He IS mad at me.

E. Why is he mad at me? Is it related to Susie?

F. What if I turn too far to the left?

G. I know I should turn right but he says left and if I turn right and am right will he still want me to turn left?

H. Is it his left or my left?

I. What about that Susie thing?

J. Before I turn left let me call my mom and talk for 45 minutes.

K. What should we have for dinner?

L. Why doesn't he cook dinner every once in a while?

M. He should take me out for dinner after turning left.

N. I am definitley mad at Susie.

O. If she turned left her butt would look bigger than mine.

Really, we just mean turn left (and perhaps we want food, beer and sex, but not necessarily in that order).

A. Does he mean left or the other left? Or does he really no where we are going? Maybe I should ask him again. Did he say left or right. I love doing that to my DH

B. If I turn left will it make my butt look big? LOL

C. Is he mad at me? What the heck did I do now???

D. He IS mad at me. Yep he's talking to me in that tone I definetly did something wrong.

E. Why is he mad at me? Is it related to Susie? He wishes I was more like Susie.

F. What if I turn too far to the left? What's gonna happen then, surely I'll break something, followed by are ya sure I need to turn it left.

G. I know I should turn right but he says left and if I turn right and am right will he still want me to turn left? Don't even need to add to this one.

H. Is it his left or my left? Or this one

K. What should we have for dinner? Well why do we always have to know what you want.

L. Why doesn't he cook dinner every once in a while? Or grocery shop?

LOL...Well I am definetly not that complicated but I will say I run into the very same thing with my hubby, only he's the one who tries to figure out what I want when I say things like. Stop peeing on the seat, or put your dishes in the dishwasher you just watched me load, wash and unload, he thinks I mean just don't pee on it when I am in a p*ssy mood, all other times it's OK. No I mean "Stop peeing on the seat period, I only blow up after I've sat in it unexpectedly a few hundred times!" And yeah if you don't get the I am disgusted look and fix what you did wrong, then you are gonna get b*tch at, which usually is followed up with a stupid comment like he thought the sink was where I wanted the dirty dishes. Geezzz, my lab is smarter than that. When she gets the look she cowers in the corner.

All of this banter is on a lighter note of course and if the admins want to clean it up that's Ok, cuz I really do want to know where my impeller is. LOL

So I was right then. Or was that left?

During college I lived in the dorm 3 years and off campus in various houses for two. All of the houses were co-ed with a mutually agreed theme of strictly platonic. Let me tell you though, when you live in close proximity to the other gender without the whole sex thing in the air, you learn A LOT about each other real fast. Things you m ay not ever feel comfortable asking a GF or even a wife. I came out of there as a very well trained male who always lifts the seat and then replaces it. I cook sometimes and clean if I have to. I do load and empty the dishwasher and spend quality time yelling at the kids to put theirs in the machine not the sink. Not looking for any awards here but I have learned that those few things make a big dent in minimizing the argument time.

So true Baddog, so true. K, I am running home real quick because I think I know now what you are talking about wienrdog. IBRB with some pics.

Or is this it...

post-10082-1251139528_thumb.jpg

This is your water pump. The fuel pump is attached too it on a mercrusier. I change this all the time at the shop some are harder then others to get to. Yours would be real easy. Take the steel line the rubber hose with the hose clamp the the little greenish yellow hose off first. Next take the two 1.25 hoses off the back of the pump pay close attention which hose came from, if you get them backwards you will not pump water at all. Then remove the belt next the pump from the motor. Set the pump on a bench or in a vise (if you have one). Look at the back of the pump there should be six maybe seven long bolts with nuts on some of them. Take them out and remove the housing the the two hose where attached to. The impeller usually comes off the shaft with the housing pay close attention the direction of the blades are bent too. The sometimes bend the right direction when run but sometimes not. If they don't you don't get proper cooling. I use dish soap to lube the pump when you go back together with it. Put every thing back together in reverse.

I am a mercury certified machanic of 15 years so if you have any other ?'s let me know. I can also get the parts if needed. Impeller if 25 and the whole kit (comes with housing oring and new bolts) runs around 80.

Sorry for the long post.

OK, I sensed a 'lil hostility toward my post complimenting "ilovetheBU"...

I meant that as a complement. (which may be followed by a marriage proposal... Love.gif ) (LOL)

In my small circle of boating friends none of the wives/girlfriends want anything to do with the truck/trailer, docking or retrieval. My wife is afraid of scratching (or worse?) our boat or someone elses. I have her talked into backing the truck in to retrieve simply because the truck has brakes and the boat does not. She feels more secure doing that.

So to the rest of you ladies (WakeMD, IlovetheBu, Wakechick3, ilovetoski, wakegirl) and any others that I may have missed: :salute:Rockon.gifNotworthy.gif

I just wish more women were as adventurous as you!

Patrick

Just change the impeller to be safe, and don't worry about the strut bushing. It you didn't hear a nasty squeal when the boat was in gear, it was plenty lubed up with water. No damage done there.

I wish my wife would learn to back a trailer or otherwise operate my boat. We boat out of a private club with two (always empty) double ramps now, though, so I can launch/load by myself without holding anybody up. So now she thinks there is no reason to learn. Trying to do everything myself made for some bad situations at the public ramps before we got into the club, though.

My wife has finnally decided it would be a good idea for her to learn to back the Bu into the water and maybe even get it into its parking space. Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif

TIP.... when teaching her, that is if she needs to be taught. Tell her how to do it then LEAVE, let her do it at her own pace, for some reason you guys make us nervous. I think it's cuz we think different when your with us. When your gone we have to do it and jumping in feet first nomatter what it is; is the best way to overcome fear. When you come back she'll probably steal all of your jobs from you, it's gonna be "Her Boat" before long, careful. We are pretty posseive little creatures, don't ya know.

Thanks for the tip, we guys could use all this kind of help we can get. Thumbup.gif We have tried once to get Wifey driving the burban with the boat but that didnt work very well, Dontknow.gif I will use this tip and see where that will get us. My wife is a very capable person and good driver while on the water I know she can do this its just how to teach her?

As for possiveness, she wanted a stero any boat that didnt have speakers on the tower was instantly shot down Thumbup.gif

Would this be because when we say: "Turn the wheel to the left." you are thinking about:

A. Does he mean left or the other left?

B. If I turn left will it make my butt look big?

C. Is he mad at me?

D. He IS mad at me.

E. Why is he mad at me? Is it related to Susie?

F. What if I turn too far to the left?

G. I know I should turn right but he says left and if I turn right and am right will he still want me to turn left?

H. Is it his left or my left?

K. What should we have for dinner?

L. Why doesn't he cook dinner every once in a while?

Really, we just mean turn left (and perhaps we want food, beer and sex, but not necessarily in that order).

A. Does he mean left or the other left? Or does he really no where we are going? Maybe I should ask him again. Did he say left or right. I love doing that to my DH

B. If I turn left will it make my butt look big? LOL

C. Is he mad at me? What the heck did I do now???

D. He IS mad at me. Yep he's talking to me in that tone I definetly did something wrong.

E. Why is he mad at me? Is it related to Susie? He wishes I was more like Susie.

F. What if I turn too far to the left? What's gonna happen then, surely I'll break something, followed by are ya sure I need to turn it left.

G. I know I should turn right but he says left and if I turn right and am right will he still want me to turn left? Don't even need to add to this one.

H. Is it his left or my left? Or this one

K. What should we have for dinner? Well why do we always have to know what you want.

L. Why doesn't he cook dinner every once in a while? Or grocery shop?

LOL...Well I am definetly not that complicated but I will say I run into the very same thing with my hubby, only he's the one who tries to figure out what I want when I say things like. Stop peeing on the seat, or put your dishes in the dishwasher you just watched me load, wash and unload, he thinks I mean just don't pee on it when I am in a p*ssy mood, all other times it's OK. No I mean "Stop peeing on the seat period, I only blow up after I've sat in it unexpectedly a few hundred times!" And yeah if you don't get the I am disgusted look and fix what you did wrong, then you are gonna get b*tch at, which usually is followed up with a stupid comment like he thought the sink was where I wanted the dirty dishes. Geezzz, my lab is smarter than that. When she gets the look she cowers in the corner.

All of this banter is on a lighter note of course and if the admins want to clean it up that's Ok, cuz I really do want to know where my impeller is. LOL

So I was right then. Or was that left?

During college I lived in the dorm 3 years and off campus in various houses for two. All of the houses were co-ed with a mutually agreed theme of strictly platonic. Let me tell you though, when you live in close proximity to the other gender without the whole sex thing in the air, you learn A LOT about each other real fast. Things you m ay not ever feel comfortable asking a GF or even a wife. I came out of there as a very well trained male who always lifts the seat and then replaces it. I cook sometimes and clean if I have to. I do load and empty the dishwasher and spend quality time yelling at the kids to put theirs in the machine not the sink. Not looking for any awards here but I have learned that those few things make a big dent in minimizing the argument time.

I lived with 5 girls just after college. the lessons one learns from an experiance like that are life long, I have always cooked (i think that is why the girls let me stay) cleaning is not my thing I have trouble trying to figure out what to do with all the extra stuff around the house, I throw it away then get yelled at. I will grocery shop kind of goes with the cooking thing, it is easer if the cook shops. I will spend a whole day doing laundry to help my wife, OK so that was the only way we would be able to go to the lake that week. The whole point is that marrage is a partnership we should be working toward common goals and trying to serve our partner not be served. as stated above I don't want an award or even recognition, Wifey takes care of that.

The whole point is that marrage is a partnership we should be working toward common goals and trying to serve our partner not be served.

There ya go, well said. Also, you have to take pride out of the equation. That is what prevents some guys from doing laundry, or cleaning the tub, or sweeping the kitchen floor, or any other "skirt work". You do what is done when it needs to be done, and help your partner. The only time this doesn't work for me is when asked to do something and I say I don't have the time, and she gets mad, I have to explain "If you can put new bunks on the trailer (started that project last weekend), then I'll do X,Y, or Z. Otherwise those bunks are still going to be waiting for me. Or changing the oil will be waiting for me. Or painting the patio furniture. Or fixing the leaking gutter that nobody else has noticed. Or that piece of siding that is slipping. Etc, etc.

But if I'm winding down and watching the news, I might as well be folding clothes at the same time. I tell my boys the same thing.

Not looking for an award either, but I made her breakfast in bed today: Over easy egg on top of an english muffin with cheese, red seedless grapes, a brownie, glass of OJ, home made expresso mocha. I started her off to a great day.

Sorry, back to the impeller...

The whole point is that marrage is a partnership we should be working toward common goals and trying to serve our partner not be served.

There ya go, well said. Also, you have to take pride out of the equation. That is what prevents some guys from doing laundry, or cleaning the tub, or sweeping the kitchen floor, or any other "skirt work". You do what is done when it needs to be done, and help your partner. The only time this doesn't work for me is when asked to do something and I say I don't have the time, and she gets mad, I have to explain "If you can put new bunks on the trailer (started that project last weekend), then I'll do X,Y, or Z. Otherwise those bunks are still going to be waiting for me. Or changing the oil will be waiting for me. Or painting the patio furniture. Or fixing the leaking gutter that nobody else has noticed. Or that piece of siding that is slipping. Etc, etc.

But if I'm winding down and watching the news, I might as well be folding clothes at the same time. I tell my boys the same thing.

Not looking for an award either, but I made her breakfast in bed today: Over easy egg on top of an english muffin with cheese, red seedless grapes, a brownie, glass of OJ, home made expresso mocha. I started her off to a great day.

You forgot the banana, how can you give her grapes and forget the banana?? I'm not so sure her day started off so well.

You forgot the banana, how can you give her grapes and forget the banana?? I'm not so sure her day started off so well.

She's probably watching the morning show right now asking the same question. I'm sure I'll hear about it later. Dam.

She's probably watching the morning show right now asking the same question. I'm sure I'll hear about it later. Dam.

Ha!! :)

I think replacing the impeller is overkill. The thing had been in the water, lubed and cool... Just replace it at the end of the season. These things are that wimpy..

And don't torque the bolts holding the housing together. Too much torque burns up the impeller. Marine Specialty- any tips for torqueing?

If you hear cracking you have gone too far! Whistling.gif

<snip>....

the fact I didn't have my hubby with me and the ramp was too busy too trust my teenager to back straight down and not run over someone elses trailer doing it, so I tied BU up took the baby went and grabbed the suburban and squeezed it down the ramp on the end of two wally boat loaders; a fricken pontoon and a jet boat.

Uhh I am a female. I take my boat out EVERY day by myself....I also have changed the impellar and oil....as well as installed perfect pass on a previous boat (although I admit my husband drilled the hole...I did all the wiring...) Just lettin ya know there are some girls out there capable Rockon.gif
Whoa! I'm a woman and I take the boat out without Slurpee all the time when he's on a trip and our crew wants to get on the glass. With 300 hours on the boat at least 100 of them are me driving. Not only that but I back the trailer a dozen times better than he does. He proudly sits in the boat grinning at the Wally's while we back down. Hmmmmm, so what else.... detailing, designated bunker re-carpeter, sunbrella and vinyl sewer, and sound system tuner.

When we got our first Glastron, Slurpee took me to the closed down Target parking lot and set up an obstacle course with the abandoned carts and we both practiced all afternoon and evening. It was a lot of fun without any rush so we didn't critique each other, just trial and error. I've never had a problem backing fast into tight spaces since. Slurpee's way out of practice though. :) Sorry hubby Whistling.gif

My sisters, NICE. Clap.gifThumbup.gif

Oh & LTB, by far & away NOT the dumbest thing that I've ever seen or read about. It doesn't even make the qualifying rounds if you ask me.

Edited by WakeGirl

My GF is quite good at driving, docking, and waxing. She also refinished the teak platform all by herself. Soon I won't have to do anything but hold on at the end of a rope. In return, I just smile and nod when she tells me the cable remote is stuck on Lifetime Movie Network. Yes.gif

And don't torque the bolts holding the housing together. Too much torque burns up the impeller. Marine Specialty- any tips for torqueing?

The toque spec for the bolts is 30in lbs. Another thought about that is seeing the fuel pump mounted on the pump there is oil in the pump to lube the fuel pump rod MAKE SURE THAT IT IS THERE without oil it will ruin the fuel pump and the fuel pump for marine is expensive.

Edited by Marine Specialty
My GF is quite good at driving, docking, and waxing. She also refinished the teak platform all by herself. Soon I won't have to do anything but hold on at the end of a rope. In return, I just smile and nod when she tells me the cable remote is stuck on Lifetime Movie Network. Yes.gif

OMG... Why can't we figure those dang things out. My hubby loves tormenting me with that, if one of the kids is messing with the TV and changes some input thingie or pushes some button I cuss and swear at my infinite NONknowledge of how to work technical stuff like that, and hubby takes his own sweet time coming to my rescue, unless of course they do it on his TV, that chit gets fixed in a hurry. You should've seen me trying to hook up receivers and speakers they still don't work right.

Now that's funny right there.