Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I can't believe I am going to tell ya'll this....

luvtheBU

Where is the impeller anyways? Got a picture anyone?

Clap.gif Good job on not panicing. On my 97 Wakesetter DD, the impeller is located on the front of the motor. Mine as 4 screws holding the cover on. It is the part that is the most forward part of the motor. There are 2 2" hoses that come out of it. Once the cover is off it looks like a octopuss type thing with a brass ring in the middle. IT pulls out with some wiggling. New slides in same way. Sorry no pics Dontknow.gif

Try using paint can openers to pull the impeller out, should mankit a bit easer ebing able to pull from the back and not the frount.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luvtheBU

• Baddog

• Michigan boarder

• REW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just change the impeller to be safe, and don't worry about the strut bushing. It you didn't hear a nasty squeal when the boat was in gear, it was plenty lubed up with water. No damage done there.

I wish my wife would learn to back a trailer or otherwise operate my boat. We boat out of a private club with two (always empty) double ramps now, though, so I can launch/load by myself without holding anybody up. So now she thinks there is no reason to learn. Trying to do everything myself made for some bad situations at the public ramps before we got into the club, though.

My wife has finnally decided it would be a good idea for her to learn to back the Bu into the water and maybe even get it into its parking space. Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif

Using the assumption that the engine is a Mercruiser based on your boat is a 94 Echelon.

The impeller on that boat will be mounted low on the right hand side of the engine, or basically right behind the drivers seat. There will be two 1.25" diameter water hoses leading up to the back side of the pump itself, which is a remote unit. It is a Jabsco brand pump. There is a single belt that drives the pump that goes connects the pump to the main engine pulley. When you change the impeller, remove the pump from the boat (5/8"and 1/2" wrenches & socket wrenches along with a standard screwdriver) and disassemble to replace the impeller. Make sure when you reconnect the pump you correctly install the main water hoses. It is a left hand rotation unit. Also, check the housing for cracks.

Lot's of good stuff here LuvTheBu for you to change that impellor right quick. One thing I didn't see noted though, is that behind the cover is a very thin and delicate gasket. Make sure to get a new one with the impellor or be extremely careful when removing the cover for the one you are to re-use. Using boot lube or soap or sun tan lotion to lubricate the impellor prior to removal is a good way to speed things up, but also plan to use it on installation of the new one. Really helps that baby slide on/off. When removing the impellor pay attention to the orientation of the brass center. There is a front and a back to the impellor and it doesn't tell you which is which.

One other aid I read in a different thread is to take an appropriate sized hose clamp and place it around the new impellor before installing. Tighten it enough to fold the vanes in the proper direction and keep them that way as you insert the impellor. Keep pushing and once the thing is half way in you can remove the hose clamp.

Good luck and have fun with it.

It has been my experience that you just need to get the impeller seated in its housing. The vanes will align themselves within a rotation or two of the engine...I've watched them do this with the cover off.

I'm making an assumption here, so you know what that means; but if you have a MerCruiser engine, the impellar is probably not "right" in front. MerCruiser really screwed the pooch on impellar placement on their 350's. It's still a DIY job, but not 15 minutes. Let me know, I can walk you through the steps I take. Normally takes me about 45 mins. to an hour to change the impellar.

Nevermind, Woodski already answered. Thats what I get for reading 70% of the posts (and skimming).

Here are the quick steps from sitting next to the drivers seat.

1.) Take the belt off. The top left pully has a bolt that tightens to the left (opposite). Loosen that and the belt should loosen.

2.) Take off the entire housing the impellar is in. Only loosen the screws that are in the housing bracket, the rest can be done afterwards.

3.) Remove 2 hoses from their "other ends" (one is from the transmission cooler, the other is from the raw water intake --off the bottom of the boat, it's a brass fitting). Don't know why, but I find it easier to do it this way.

4.) Take the entire housing out w/ the hoses attached.

5.) Disconnect the hoses and remove all bolts.

6.) Take out and replace impellar

7.) Reverse order for putting it back in.

This is my one true compliant against the MerCruiser engine. Indmar's make it so nice to change their impellars.

Edited by HOskier313
I'm making an assumption here, so you know what that means; but if you have a MerCruiser engine, the impellar is probably not "right" in front. MerCruiser really screwed the pooch on impellar placement on their 350's. It's still a DIY job, but not 15 minutes. Let me know, I can walk you through the steps I take. Normally takes me about 45 mins. to an hour to change the impellar.

Nevermind, Woodski already answered. Thats what I get for reading 70% of the posts (and skimming).

Here are the quick steps from sitting next to the drivers seat.

1.) Take the belt off. The top left pully has a bolt that tightens to the left (opposite). Loosen that and the belt should loosen.

2.) Take off the entire housing the impellar is in. Only loosen the screws that are in the housing bracket, the rest can be done afterwards.

3.) Remove 2 hoses from their "other ends" (one is from the transmission cooler, the other is from the raw water intake --off the bottom of the boat, it's a brass fitting). Don't know why, but I find it easier to do it this way.

4.) Take the entire housing out w/ the hoses attached.

5.) Disconnect the hoses and remove all bolts.

6.) Take out and replace impellar

7.) Reverse order for putting it back in.

This is my one true compliant against the MerCruiser engine. Indmar's make it so nice to change their impellars.

Didn't know that engine was so much different. Got any pics?

I'm with Pete. Replace the impeller just for insurance. It's a $20 part that could ruin your day. It'll take 15 min to replace in a direct drive. In a previous life (I had a SSLXI in '99) I used to goose the motor in neutral as she pulled me out of the water to empty it out or so I thought. I changed the impeller AFTER doing this for 2 seasons and it was only slightly damaged... (lucky, I guess!)

Wakechick, I applaud you! My wife (or any woman I know) would NEVER in a million years consider taking the boat out on her own!

Patrick

Uhh I am a female. I take my boat out EVERY day by myself....I also have changed the impellar and oil....as well as installed perfect pass on a previous boat (although I admit my husband drilled the hole...I did all the wiring...) Just lettin ya know there are some girls out there capable Rockon.gif

Sweet...I wish I could find females to go with me every day. The teens are starting to wear on my nerves a bit not to mention I could use some adult conversation. I wonder why there aren't more like us???

luvtheBU,

I don't think that was a STUPID mistake. You did a good job not panicking at the ramp and keeping your wits about with all that was going on next to you. Those impellers can run for a couple of minutes without burning up as can the packing on the shaft. Like others have said I would out of piece of mind at least pull the cover and take a look at the impeller. You can inspect it for cracks, or since you have it off just replace it. Its not that big a deal on a DD. Discount marine is a good source. Just make sure the impeller they send you has the gasket included.

Just change the impeller to be safe, and don't worry about the strut bushing. It you didn't hear a nasty squeal when the boat was in gear, it was plenty lubed up with water. No damage done there.

I wish my wife would learn to back a trailer or otherwise operate my boat. We boat out of a private club with two (always empty) double ramps now, though, so I can launch/load by myself without holding anybody up. So now she thinks there is no reason to learn. Trying to do everything myself made for some bad situations at the public ramps before we got into the club, though.

My wife has finnally decided it would be a good idea for her to learn to back the Bu into the water and maybe even get it into its parking space. Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif

TIP.... when teaching her, that is if she needs to be taught. Tell her how to do it then LEAVE, let her do it at her own pace, for some reason you guys make us nervous. I think it's cuz we think different when your with us. When your gone we have to do it and jumping in feet first nomatter what it is; is the best way to overcome fear. When you come back she'll probably steal all of your jobs from you, it's gonna be "Her Boat" before long, careful. We are pretty posseive little creatures, don't ya know.

TIP.... when teaching her, that is if she needs to be taught. Tell her how to do it then LEAVE, let her do it at her own pace, for some reason you guys make us nervous. I think it's cuz we think different when your with us. When your gone we have to do it and jumping in feet first nomatter what it is; is the best way to overcome fear. When you come back she'll probably steal all of your jobs from you, it's gonna be "Her Boat" before long, careful. We are pretty posseive little creatures, don't ya know.

How do I apply this to a lawn mower?

Dude...If we had to mow the lawn we wouldn't have time to take the boat out by ourselves. Heck with that I am all for feminity, but some things will always remain you guy's jobs. Just don't feel bad when we make you look bad at the ramp...LOL. My hubby thinks I am messing with his masculinity, I say get over it, this BU is mine and I did show him how to do it, I'm just not letting him do it. MuwaaaaHHAaaaa Haaaa!!!

LOL....Thought I might. Ok help me out here. I took pics a couple minutes ago. Can you point me in the right direction.

Is this it.

post-10082-1251138974_thumb.jpg

Nope, that is the water pump. I believe the belt the shoots off left of that lower pulley is where you need to be. You can also follow your raw water intake line from the inlet on the hull.

Would this be because when we say: "Turn the wheel to the left." you are thinking about:

A. Does he mean left or the other left?

B. If I turn left will it make my butt look big?

C. Is he mad at me?

D. He IS mad at me.

E. Why is he mad at me? Is it related to Susie?

F. What if I turn too far to the left?

G. I know I should turn right but he says left and if I turn right and am right will he still want me to turn left?

H. Is it his left or my left?

I. What about that Susie thing?

J. Before I turn left let me call my mom and talk for 45 minutes.

K. What should we have for dinner?

L. Why doesn't he cook dinner every once in a while?

M. He should take me out for dinner after turning left.

N. I am definitley mad at Susie.

O. If she turned left her butt would look bigger than mine.

Really, we just mean turn left (and perhaps we want food, beer and sex, but not necessarily in that order).

I bent over with laughter so fast I almost hit my head on my desk!!! ROFL.gif

I would still check it, but just to put your mind at ease a little, someone I know Whistling.gif was a rookie boater and he ran his boat off a garden hose (just like a popular wnterization guide on here instructed to do) for about 12 minutes, he said his temp got up to 200 before he shut the boat off. Needless to say little to no water was getting to the pump because it wasn't primed, but he pulled the impeller and it was fine, replaced it anyways and is now a good spare...for him...my friend.

Would this be because when we say: "Turn the wheel to the left." you are thinking about:

A. Does he mean left or the other left?

B. If I turn left will it make my butt look big?

C. Is he mad at me?

D. He IS mad at me.

E. Why is he mad at me? Is it related to Susie?

F. What if I turn too far to the left?

G. I know I should turn right but he says left and if I turn right and am right will he still want me to turn left?

H. Is it his left or my left?

K. What should we have for dinner?

L. Why doesn't he cook dinner every once in a while?

Really, we just mean turn left (and perhaps we want food, beer and sex, but not necessarily in that order).

A. Does he mean left or the other left? Or does he really no where we are going? Maybe I should ask him again. Did he say left or right. I love doing that to my DH

B. If I turn left will it make my butt look big? LOL

C. Is he mad at me? What the heck did I do now???

D. He IS mad at me. Yep he's talking to me in that tone I definetly did something wrong.

E. Why is he mad at me? Is it related to Susie? He wishes I was more like Susie.

F. What if I turn too far to the left? What's gonna happen then, surely I'll break something, followed by are ya sure I need to turn it left.

G. I know I should turn right but he says left and if I turn right and am right will he still want me to turn left? Don't even need to add to this one.

H. Is it his left or my left? Or this one

K. What should we have for dinner? Well why do we always have to know what you want.

L. Why doesn't he cook dinner every once in a while? Or grocery shop?

LOL...Well I am definetly not that complicated but I will say I run into the very same thing with my hubby, only he's the one who tries to figure out what I want when I say things like. Stop peeing on the seat, or put your dishes in the dishwasher you just watched me load, wash and unload, he thinks I mean just don't pee on it when I am in a p*ssy mood, all other times it's OK. No I mean "Stop peeing on the seat period, I only blow up after I've sat in it unexpectedly a few hundred times!" And yeah if you don't get the I am disgusted look and fix what you did wrong, then you are gonna get b*tch at, which usually is followed up with a stupid comment like he thought the sink was where I wanted the dirty dishes. Geezzz, my lab is smarter than that. When she gets the look she cowers in the corner.

All of this banter is on a lighter note of course and if the admins want to clean it up that's Ok, cuz I really do want to know where my impeller is. LOL

I bent over with laughter so fast I almost hit my head on my desk!!! ROFL.gif

I would still check it, but just to put your mind at ease a little, someone I know Whistling.gif was a rookie boater and he ran his boat off a garden hose (just like a popular wnterization guide on here instructed to do) for about 12 minutes, he said his temp got up to 200 before he shut the boat off. Needless to say little to no water was getting to the pump because it wasn't primed, but he pulled the impeller and it was fine, replaced it anyways and is now a good spare...for him...my friend.

How hot should a boat run, I ran the boat yesterday and it was right around 160, is that too hot? Everything sounded Ok so I don't think I did hurt anything but I am still going to change the impeller just to be safe.

That second pic is your fuel pump. The impeller housing should be behind it in the picture.

If you take another pic from the front of the engine, but the other side (left) of pylon in the first pic (first pic shows to the right of the pylon), the impeller housing would be to the right of the fuel pump.

Another way you should be able to find it is follow the hose that goes to the bottom of the hull (where the water enters the boat thru a little grate). It should go right to the impeller housing and then to the tubular transmission cooler.

Or is this it...

post-10082-1251139528_thumb.jpg

YEP!!! this one.

Okkkkk.... If I get this figured out I am going to take pics as I go so the admins can link it. Those nuts look like they've never been touched, and the marina said they changed the impeller this last service.

That second pic is your fuel pump. The impeller housing should be behind it in the picture.

If you take another pic from the front of the engine, but the other side (left) of pylon in the first pic (first pic shows to the right of the pylon), the impeller housing would be to the right of the fuel pump.

Wait, which left?