Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I can't believe I am going to tell ya'll this....

luvtheBU

Here goes. This was by far the DUMBEST THING I have ever done, while boating anyways!!!! When I say dumb I don't even know if that's the right word for this stupid mistake, but I need to make sure I didn't screw something up on my BU.

Damn, I am so anal about my routine when launching and retrieving my boat and last night was such a fluke. We no more than got on the water and the skies turned black, black and the lightning started up. It looked like it was going to go around us which is typical in this area but needless to say everyone rushed back to the ramp to unload.

I wasn't stressed about it at all except the fact I didn't have my hubby with me and the ramp was too busy too trust my teenager to back straight down and not run over someone elses trailer doing it, so I tied BU up took the baby went and grabbed the suburban and squeezed it down the ramp on the end of two wally boat loaders; a fricken pontoon and a jet boat.

I set the E brake got out and ran and I mean ran fast I saw the line building to get on the ramp and the lightening coming. I jumped in my boat unhooked her instructed my son to get his butt over to the suburban and get ready to pull me out. I glided up on the bunks and powered it up straight even though I was on the sh*tty slanted side of the ramp and nosed it up told my son to ratchet us up. He did, but just soon as he let go of the handle it ratcheted back down, I forgot to tell him to click the thing down.

Crap now the jet boat beside me is coming off their trailer and running into the pontoon, I'm hollering at my son pay attention to me not them. I get it back up on the nose and I reach over to make sure the ratchet thing is down myself because son has head up butt right now and can't stop looking at the Tahoe sliding into the water because the driver had 4wd in nuetral and every time she stuck it into drive she slid deeper in. Everyone that can see what's happening is yelling at her just stop don't do anything else wait a second till we can help and everyone else is yelling at her to hurry the hell up cause the rains coming. It was a mess. This was the jetboat that was slamming into the pontoon that had already been on the ramp for a good 20 mins because he couldn't get his toon on the tralier straight.

Anyways I get the boat back up and son tightens it up for me I made sure it was clicked down. Guess what I forgot???? OMG I had the fricken engine on and the throttle just slightly forward because I went to the nose to see if he had the thing clicked down so we'd stay on the damn trailer and I forgot to turn the G'damn boat off and put it in neutral till we were at the top of the ramp. Ayeeeee I'm getting sick retelling the story right now. I shut it off super fast and returned the throttle to neutral. It wasn't on for more than a minute and I didn't even hear it running, I remember it when the blood ran back to my brain after returning to the upright position from looking over the bow at the ratchet strap. Oh I just feel so dumb right now. Did I blow up the impeller? Did I ruin my transmission?

:( Deep breath.....Go ahead let me have it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luvtheBU

• Baddog

• Michigan boarder

• REW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like you had it easy at the ramp.

All I'd do is replace the impeller just for insurance. If you don't know how to do it yet, nows a good time to learn.

I don't think you have any other damage to worry about.

Well that's what I was thinking but then I have heard of bushings and bearings and don't ever have it in gear out of the water. Does anyone have pictures of replacing an impeller.

And yeah they got the gal in the tahoe out of the water, she was freaking out. I kept telling her to just wait don't worry, finally a gal came down and walked her thru it, I felt so bad for them everyone was just screaming at them. You could tell it was probably a first or second time out.

And the old dude in the pontoon, that was just never gonna get fixed, his trailer was caulkeyed and dunked way deeper on the other side. I was long gone before either of them got off, I was way too worried about what I had just done and getting out of the way so others could get off and getting home to cover her up I didn't even think I could be of any use to any of them.

I'm with Pete. Replace the impeller just for insurance. It's a $20 part that could ruin your day. It'll take 15 min to replace in a direct drive. In a previous life (I had a SSLXI in '99) I used to goose the motor in neutral as she pulled me out of the water to empty it out or so I thought. I changed the impeller AFTER doing this for 2 seasons and it was only slightly damaged... (lucky, I guess!)

Wakechick, I applaud you! My wife (or any woman I know) would NEVER in a million years consider taking the boat out on her own!

Patrick

There was probably enough water coming off everything to lube the shaft. When I was looking at direct drive boats I had no idea they were lubed by the water. I put one in gear and it made a horrible noise. So if you didn't hear any noise it probably ok as there was enough water to lube it. The motor I'm sure is fine. I would take out the impeller and look at it. Sounds like a bad time at the launch ramp, but probably no damage.

I'm with Pete. Replace the impeller just for insurance. It's a $20 part that could ruin your day. It'll take 15 min to replace in a direct drive. In a previous life (I had a SSLXI in '99) I used to goose the motor in neutral as she pulled me out of the water to empty it out or so I thought. I changed the impeller AFTER doing this for 2 seasons and it was only slightly damaged... (lucky, I guess!)

Wakechick, I applaud you! My wife (or any woman I know) would NEVER in a million years consider taking the boat out on her own!

Patrick

I'm never alone, I always have my little guy, my dog and a buttload of teenagers, but none of them have the attention span I would completely trust with any duty that I didn't double check just to make sure it was done right. This is their first year out and in a rush situation I wanted to get out fast and not p*ss anyone off. Hubby comes when he can but I can't wait we have too short of a season out here.

Been there. Done that. Changed the impeller. 250 hours later it's all still good. Decided a boat house with a lift was worth the price of the real estate to never play "Here's your sign" at the ramps ever again.

There was probably enough water coming off everything to lube the shaft. When I was looking at direct drive boats I had no idea they were lubed by the water. I put one in gear and it made a horrible noise. So if you didn't hear any noise it probably ok as there was enough water to lube it. The motor I'm sure is fine. I would take out the impeller and look at it. Sounds like a bad time at the launch ramp, but probably no damage.

I know I got to hear that noise too when we first started looking at DD's and I was hoping I had enough water in my bilge, because my strut bearing, I think that's what it's called; leaks like a sieve and when I pulled the plug by the engine I didn't have as much water as I usually do in there but there was still some. But honestly I was in such a zone and there was so much noise at the launch that I was trying to block out I am truly not sure.

LTB, situations at ramps always arise..rain or shine.

Sounds like you kept your head and did just fine, way to go! Backing the trailer and loading the boat by yourself is kudo's to you!

Btw, i drive a suburban also and i am a 'turn around and look- backer' with some side mirror checking, the BEST thing i have found to do is lift up (or open)

the back doors- you can see everything and it helps so much, might be a good way for the teen to learn.? to this day i can't believe it took me years to figure this out.

could you send some of that rain this way....please!

Where is the impeller anyways? Got a picture anyone?

Clap.gif Good job on not panicing. On my 97 Wakesetter DD, the impeller is located on the front of the motor. Mine as 4 screws holding the cover on. It is the part that is the most forward part of the motor. There are 2 2" hoses that come out of it. Once the cover is off it looks like a octopuss type thing with a brass ring in the middle. IT pulls out with some wiggling. New slides in same way. Sorry no pics Dontknow.gif

Where is the impeller anyways? Got a picture anyone?

Clap.gif Good job on not panicing. On my 97 Wakesetter DD, the impeller is located on the front of the motor. Mine as 4 screws holding the cover on. It is the part that is the most forward part of the motor. There are 2 2" hoses that come out of it. Once the cover is off it looks like a octopuss type thing with a brass ring in the middle. IT pulls out with some wiggling. New slides in same way. Sorry no pics Dontknow.gif

Cool thanks, I think I'm gonna call Discount Marine place on Monday after hubby and I see if we can find the impeller.

Sounds like you kept your head and did just fine, way to go! Backing the trailer and loading the boat by yourself is kudo's to you!

Btw, i drive a suburban also and i am a 'turn around and look- backer' with some side mirror checking, the BEST thing i have found to do is lift up (or open)

the back doors- you can see everything and it helps so much, might be a good way for the teen to learn.? to this day i can't believe it took me years to figure this out.

Yeah the problem is my burb is like a shed in the summertime and I'd probably lose half the crap on the ramp that was in my hatch. It's pretty easy to see both sides of the trailer with the guides that are on the sides. They do OK with nobody else on the ramp, but usually the burb winds up is cockeyed on the ramp and I'm lucky if I can see both fenders in the water, but it's doable..LOL. I got the one trained pretty good but he isn't quite there to be trusted in a faster moving situation, plus I don't want him all stressed out and I can critique him better if we aren't under pressure.

As other said you are likely fine... Impeller might have taken a hit (And will likely work fine but you might ahve shortened it's like a bit... sho cheap not to replace.) Obviously it's not a good thing to run a boat when it's not in the water but in yoru case everything was still wet so you probably didn't cause much harm. Had this been in the garage after the boat had sat all winter then there would have been a lot more friction. So.. don't worry about it... sounds like you managed thigns well considering the situation.

if you get an impeller, consider getting the puller also. it will help it pop out and save a lot of aggravation.

I think there are several threads on here about how to do this, maybe a quick search on "Impeller".

Yeah the problem is my burb is like a shed in the summertime and I'd probably lose half the crap on the ramp that was in my hatch. It's pretty easy to see both sides of the trailer with the guides that are on the sides. They do OK with nobody else on the ramp, but usually the burb winds up is cockeyed on the ramp and I'm lucky if I can see both fenders in the water, but it's doable..LOL. I got the one trained pretty good but he isn't quite there to be trusted in a faster moving situation, plus I don't want him all stressed out and I can critique him better if we aren't under pressure.

"I'd probably lose half the crap on the ramp that was in my hatch"

This can be a problem, i have had stuff fall out...thus no more stuff back there. :blush:

Patrick

Uhh I am a female. I take my boat out EVERY day by myself....I also have changed the impellar and oil....as well as installed perfect pass on a previous boat (although I admit my husband drilled the hole...I did all the wiring...) Just lettin ya know there are some girls out there capable Rockon.gif

Patrick

Whoa! I'm a woman and I take the boat out without Slurpee all the time when he's on a trip and our crew wants to get on the glass. With 300 hours on the boat at least 100 of them are me driving. Not only that but I back the trailer a dozen times better than he does. He proudly sits in the boat grinning at the Wally's while we back down. Hmmmmm, so what else.... detailing, designated bunker re-carpeter, sunbrella and vinyl sewer, and sound system tuner.

When we got our first Glastron, Slurpee took me to the closed down Target parking lot and set up an obstacle course with the abandoned carts and we both practiced all afternoon and evening. It was a lot of fun without any rush so we didn't critique each other, just trial and error. I've never had a problem backing fast into tight spaces since. Slurpee's way out of practice though. :) Sorry hubby Whistling.gif

Patrick

Whoa! I'm a woman and I take the boat out without Slurpee all the time when he's on a trip and our crew wants to get on the glass. With 300 hours on the boat at least 100 of them are me driving. Not only that but I back the trailer a dozen times better than he does. He proudly sits in the boat grinning at the Wally's while we back down. Hmmmmm, so what else.... detailing, designated bunker re-carpeter, sunbrella and vinyl sewer, and sound system tuner.

When we got our first Glastron, Slurpee took me to the closed down Target parking lot and set up an obstacle course with the abandoned carts and we both practiced all afternoon and evening. It was a lot of fun without any rush so we didn't critique each other, just trial and error. I've never had a problem backing fast into tight spaces since. Slurpee's way out of practice though. :) Sorry hubby Whistling.gif

Yeah, you're right. :blush: But I don't need to back a trailer up now. We have a boat house with a lift! Rockon.gif So trailer backing skills shouldn't count. Sorry for the Hijack.

When you replace the impeller though, go for the proper tool. I know there's a bunch of threads on here about how to easily pop that sucker out. I tried them all and ended up cursing it for a good 90 minutes before I wrestled it out anyways. Pay really close attention to the orientation of the fins as well. I was so distracted by the removal that I didn't really look at it until after it popped out. :blush: Took another 15 minutes of angst and looking for photos on the web to be sure I was right about how to put the new one back in. I couple of those Run-Dry Impellers on a group buy a year or so ago. They seem pretty rock solid.

+1 on the 'replace the impeller'

if it were me and the old impeller looks reasonable i would keep the old one in the boat as a spare.

if you change impellers each season you won't have much to worry about but just in case of an aw-$hxt it's good to have a spare that will get you thorough a few sets if the first line impeller decides it's time to give up the ghost.

also, to pull the old impeller

stop by the paint / hardware store and grab a couple of the hook type paint can openers.

work great.

after you pull the pump cover spray some binding slime in the cavity and bump the starter (with the emergency lanyard pulled).

i've never had problems pulling the impeller after doing the above stuff.

good luck w it.

Just change the impeller to be safe, and don't worry about the strut bushing. It you didn't hear a nasty squeal when the boat was in gear, it was plenty lubed up with water. No damage done there.

I wish my wife would learn to back a trailer or otherwise operate my boat. We boat out of a private club with two (always empty) double ramps now, though, so I can launch/load by myself without holding anybody up. So now she thinks there is no reason to learn. Trying to do everything myself made for some bad situations at the public ramps before we got into the club, though.