Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing Help

MN_LSV

I blame Brett Favre. :)

Are you saying I should use Brett for ballast??

surely not...

he can't make up his mind if he get's too long to think about it (more than 10 seconds).

I'm betting that Alvie is more effective than the sling. ;)

HA! We should have tried Alvie in the sling! Gonna need a bigger sling though. Alvie was always happy sitting right in the back corner though.

That would have been quite the sight to behold.

surely not...

he can't make up his mind if he get's too long to think about it (more than 10 seconds).

Yeah, you don't want your VAB moving all over the boat or (better yet) deciding that they want off, then back on, then off....

I noticed in the picture that your husband had the nose of the board pointed toward 1 o'clock (rider view facing the back of the boat). If you make an effort to point the tip of your board at the center of the back of the boat you will harness more of the forward energy of the wave, which will keep you riding longer ropeless.

I noticed in the picture that your husband had the nose of the board pointed toward 1 o'clock (rider view facing the back of the boat). If you make an effort to point the tip of your board at the center of the back of the boat you will harness more of the forward energy of the wave, which will keep you riding longer ropeless.

Good point, I remind him!

I'm betting that Alvie is more effective than the sling. ;)

HA! We should have tried Alvie in the sling! Gonna need a bigger sling though. Alvie was always happy sitting right in the back corner though.

That would have been quite the sight to behold.

surely not...

Yeah, you don't want your VAB moving all over the boat or (better yet) deciding that they want off, then back on, then off....

I think you are on to something, he would be better suited to be in the boat when pulling tubers.......but if someone offered me 12 million, I'd sit still and do my job as VAB.

Edited by MN_LSV
I have the same boat '03 WS23 LSV.

Differences are 1235 ACME prop and I've removed the factory hard tanks and replaced them with 750 Pro-X plumbed in.

For goofy/starboard/right/ghey or whatever side this is how we do it.

Fill the rear 750

fill the ski locker

I have a 500 that fills the area under the seat behind the driver - fill it.

Fill a 750 on that seat.

I have a Pro-X bow sac filled about 3/4 and adjust as needed to lengthen wave.

Drop the wedge

Speeds are between 10 and 12 - I'm not anal enuff to gps the damn thing every week but I'm told my real speed is probably 10.7.

We used to hang 1 off the side of the tower for extra lean.

Oh and Alvie in the back corner.

Its been successful for us for about 6 years now.

Heres an old pic from 04 or 05

tortureLSV.jpg

Good old Alvie looks pretty important.

I have the same boat '03 WS23 LSV.

Differences are 1235 ACME prop and I've removed the factory hard tanks and replaced them with 750 Pro-X plumbed in.

For goofy/starboard/right/ghey or whatever side this is how we do it.

Fill the rear 750

fill the ski locker

I have a 500 that fills the area under the seat behind the driver - fill it.

Fill a 750 on that seat.

I have a Pro-X bow sac filled about 3/4 and adjust as needed to lengthen wave.

Drop the wedge

Speeds are between 10 and 12 - I'm not anal enuff to gps the damn thing every week but I'm told my real speed is probably 10.7.

We used to hang 1 off the side of the tower for extra lean.

Oh and Alvie in the back corner.

Its been successful for us for about 6 years now.

Heres an old pic from 04 or 05

tortureLSV.jpg

Good old Alvie looks pretty important.

I've seen this picture a few times over the past couple years, and just realized that it must be true that the creating the perfect wave is the most important part of surfing.......lost of VAB in the picture, but no wave or surfer? Hmmmm

You don't need much weight for surfing. Its really all about having your feet spreadout on the board and getting comfortable and crouching wayyyyy down until you get good at finding the sweet spot. Standing low/crouched is key when first learning. Then you learn putting weight on the front foot will speed you up/bring you back to the wake, and if you get close to hitting the platform or something, putting weight on the back foot will slow you down/move you back.

It should come fairly naturally, most people master it within 3 weekends of trying it every weekend. If i had to guess, its that you aren't pulling yourself in close enough to the boat. You have to be about 1-2 feet off the back of the swimplatform until you get to where you can control better and consistently find the sweet spot. Also if you are goofy and riding on the Starboard side (the darkside) that is more difficult, but certainly doable.

Here is one video of me surfing behind my 2007 vRide. I'm about 205lbs or so. Board is an inland surfer (a pretty small board).

Center Ballast Tank full

Port Side Rear Tank full

2 girls (110lbs) on the port side of the boat

No Wedge - (its banned on my lake)

especially watch from the 2:30 mark onwards...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oOlt2hK8U

I have lots more videos of going for 5-10mins without the rope even being out there. Maybe watching what others are doing will help you see what's happening when you surf. Try having someone in your crew tape your runs...then throw them up on youtube and post the links so we can watch and maybe help ya out!!!

Edited by tj_in_kc
You don't need much weight for surfing. Its really all about having your feet spreadout on the board and getting comfortable and crouching wayyyyy down until you get good at finding the sweet spot. Standing low/crouched is key when first learning. Then you learn putting weight on the front foot will speed you up/bring you back to the wake, and if you get close to hitting the platform or something, putting weight on the back foot will slow you down/move you back.

It should come fairly naturally, most people master it within 3 weekends of trying it every weekend. If i had to guess, its that you aren't pulling yourself in close enough to the boat. You have to be about 1-2 feet off the back of the swimplatform until you get to where you can control better and consistently find the sweet spot. Also if you are goofy and riding on the Starboard side (the darkside) that is more difficult, but certainly doable.

Here is one video of me surfing behind my 2007 vRide. I'm about 205lbs or so. Board is an inland surfer (a pretty small board).

Center Ballast Tank full

Port Side Rear Tank full

I have lots more videos of going for 5-10mins without the rope even being out there. Maybe watching what others are doing will help you see what's happening when you surf. Try having someone in your crew tape your runs...then throw them up on youtube and post the links so we can watch and maybe help ya out!!!

What's up with the wedge being banned?

Center Ballast Tank full

Port Side Rear Tank full

Obviously you don't need extra weight but I have basically the same boat. We had the same setup plus 500lbs extra on surf side and the wedge. The pocket still wasn't much farther back than where you were riding. I just didn't really enjoy being that close to the boat. Waiting for money tree to sprout so I can add 750's and some bow weight, oh yeah and my own damn board! I like the beer trick though!!

Center Ballast Tank full

Port Side Rear Tank full

What's up with the wedge being banned?

probably has a ban on wake creating devices, but they ballast tanks are hidden so he can pull that off.

Center Ballast Tank full

Port Side Rear Tank full

The only thing that I remember from that video is at the 3:30 mark where you dumped half that can of beer out! Rookie! You should have just let yourself fall off the wave and saved the beer.

Same boat, 2007 vRide, only thing other than stock is a 750 lb sack in the trunk and a 350 lb sack under the surf side seats. Wedge down. I think on this day we had only 3 of us total, including the rider, so we filled up the 350 lbs under the surf side seat, but if we have more people we don't fill that sack up.

SurfWave.jpg

Surfing1.jpg

We have played the big weight game i finally got tired of having sacks everywhere. I recently plumbed a enzo sac into the boat it is so nice to just flip a switch to fill and drain. These pics are all 4 factory full plus enzo full. Thumbup.gif Heres a few pics that are crappy took while i was standing up driving. We ride at 11.4.

post-6438-1253053978_thumb.jpg

post-6438-1253054007_thumb.jpg

Edited by CRASH

Yeah, you are right, we have a ban on all wake enhancing devices after one of the sailboats got bounced off its shorestation due to a huge roller. Malibu does such a good job of hiding the stock ballast that I can still use those. I don't think i could hide the wedge though, when i put the boat up on the lift it would really stick out.

I will have to look into the Enzo sack, sounds nice.

The wake behind your Bu's are awesome. I need to get another bag to put in the rear locker so I can get a huge wake like this.

i'm getting better, promise to not spill any beer again. Maybe next time i'll put a key or something in my pocket and shotgun it, that way don't lose any of the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!