Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Texas Lake Homes

kent342

I am looking for info from the Texas crew about Lake Grandbury. I think that we are done with California and all the issues here. The wife and I have been looking at property on Grandbury and it seems to fit our needs, close to DFW for my work and good schools for the kids. We have spent some time at many of the big Texas lakes but not Grandbury, any help would been great.

I dont know much about Granbury but i do know a who lot about to Lake Austin/Lake Travis/Lake LBJ and several others. Austin is fantastic city - havent been happier. I actually should be closing on my first lake house on Lake Austin within the next few months. Im also a realtor - let me know if I can be of any help!

Please if you come to Texas, do no bring the ideas that have whacked Kalifornia and drove Oregon and Washington downhill. It's a great place for a reason, roll w/ how we do it. Whistling.gif

Is Austin humid?

We considered moving there because we've heard a lot of good things about it from here but the prices are about the same as So. Calif and I want somewhere less expensive, less crowded, nicer people. I know Austin is a college town and could be considered a party area. Not sure if thats really true. I want to avoid that mess.

Good luck. When we checked around 5 or 6 yrs ago, we didn't find property values in either Austin or Dallas any more affordable than in WA. And there were a LOT more people.

...I want somewhere less expensive, less crowded, nicer people.

two words; NORTH DAKOTA! Thumbup.gif

I think we gave that too Canada a while ago.

Well duh, then SOUTH DAKOTA.m I think we still have that one for some reason.

Edited by Baddog

We were there on lake Granbury two weekends ago and there were enough "for sale" signs up to have a decent selection to choose from. I liked the lake, winding enough to get out of the wind from any direction and big enough to not have to spin all the time. There are a LOT of houses surrounding the lake but they all seemed to be done well.

I would hit the internet and google some realtors on the lake and start up conversation that way- with someone who knows the business there.

Good luck. When we checked around 5 or 6 yrs ago, we didn't find property values in either Austin or Dallas any more affordable than in WA. And there were a LOT more people.

I still look at Seattle Real Estate often. I would have to pay at least 25% or more than I do in Dallas (City) vs. Seattle (City) for the same size house same goes for comparisons to Plano/Southlake to Bellevue/Redmond.

Granbury is a nice town and still growing. PM Ronnie for some info on the area. I don't want to get on here spilling all the secrets :). Shaun Murray's in-laws actually live out there. The lake is a river lake and has decent water and is just cool with all of the houses water front. One thing about home prices is the fact that we don't have state income tax, so ad valorem taxes are just a shade higher. Even though Texas hasn't suffered much through the economic downturn, there are still good deals to be had.

We were there on lake Granbury two weekends ago and there were enough "for sale" signs up to have a decent selection to choose from. I liked the lake, winding enough to get out of the wind from any direction and big enough to not have to spin all the time. There are a LOT of houses surrounding the lake but they all seemed to be done well.

I would hit the internet and google some realtors on the lake and start up conversation that way- with someone who knows the business there.

Skisix, I have been watching a realestate sit for about a year now and it looks like your spot on. I have also been looking at the ski lake at Timber cove, I to love to ski the cousre and it looks like it could be a way to go. I would have to own two boats for that, one for the surfing and boarding and one for the course.

Granbury is a nice town and still growing. PM Ronnie for some info on the area. I don't want to get on here spilling all the secrets :). Shaun Murray's in-laws actually live out there. The lake is a river lake and has decent water and is just cool with all of the houses water front. One thing about home prices is the fact that we don't have state income tax, so ad valorem taxes are just a shade higher. Even though Texas hasn't suffered much through the economic downturn, there are still good deals to be had.

I PM him, Thanks.

Feel free to PM me as well. I can give you an idea on house pricing depending on what you're looking for to. Been hunting with some friends for a weekend shack for them, and am in the process of fighting the appraisal management company (TY Obama Mad.gif ) over a refinance so I have just about every comp around here on the lake memorized. I live just across the harbor from Ronnie and can give you lots of info. WakeMD has her practice here and I go to Austin and DFW airport (to the rest of the country) all the time for work and can give you the low down on that lifestyle. Traffic's not at all bad if you know how to go there.

The "humid" part of Texas is east of I-45 for the most part, and the further south the worse it gets. No way I'm ever moving back to swim the Houston air. Going to visit the in-laws in the pine forests of east Texas is just about as bad. Average humidity in Granbury is less than 50%.

Another lake I'd consider is Possum Kingdom, but it's a smaller town (though much bigger lake) and a decent bit further out of the metroplex.

I loved working/living near Austin when I did, but the "wow" factor of that city has grown it a whole lot so to actually get the city feel you have to pay out a lot or live affordably out in suburbia which is a lot like any suburbia anywhere.

Album of Granbury Lake Photos

Edited by Slurpee

Skisix, I have been watching a realestate sit for about a year now and it looks like your spot on. I have also been looking at the ski lake at Timber cove, I to love to ski the cousre and it looks like it could be a way to go. I would have to own two boats for that, one for the surfing and boarding and one for the course.

And that would be bad because of . . . .

Kent, Kent, Kent..... That's why we own Malibu's! I go ski at timber cove in the early AM and grab my slalom sets and then we take the RLXi over to Granbury, drop the wedge and my son is boarding and my wife is air chairing, and we all surf!!!! I suck at surfing but, my RLXi wake for surfing works better for ME then my bro-n-law's 23LSV!

I know peeps with lots for sale on Timber Cove- PM me if interested and we can chat.

Check out Princeton Lakes near McKinney TX.

4 ski lakes, beautiful. Think it's near a big public lake too.

I was there for biz last year and just drove thru. It's pretty sweet and prices weren't sky high

Still had lots at the time

Check out Princeton Lakes near McKinney TX.

4 ski lakes, beautiful. Think it's near a big public lake too.

I was there for biz last year and just drove thru. It's pretty sweet and prices weren't sky high

Still had lots at the time

Stay with Granbury. Princeton Lakes is sort of real close to nowhere, must be committed to your vehicle and large commute time. The big public lake is Lavon and well not the best boarding/skiing lake, pretty decent duck hunting lake though when things are right.

Kent, Kent, Kent..... That's why we own Malibu's! I go ski at timber cove in the early AM and grab my slalom sets and then we take the RLXi over to Granbury, drop the wedge and my son is boarding and my wife is air chairing, and we all surf!!!! I suck at surfing but, my RLXi wake for surfing works better for ME then my bro-n-law's 23LSV!

I know peeps with lots for sale on Timber Cove- PM me if interested and we can chat.

The 23LSV is a great boat, I ran 15 off at 34mph full legal pass 2 weeks ago behind her, but not that fun. We went to the bigger boat last year for the kids and well you know, but I wish we had the old 20'er for skiing. Lately I have been thinking of going back to a DD. with wedge.

• 3 weeks later...

The 23LSV is a great boat, I ran 15 off at 34mph full legal pass 2 weeks ago behind her, but not that fun. We went to the bigger boat last year for the kids and well you know, but I wish we had the old 20'er for skiing. Lately I have been thinking of going back to a DD. with wedge.

Two words...drought...

Everything West of I35 is low and Everything East of I35 is up to stage. Granbury has been so low that they have stopped flow from the dam and totally dried up the Brazos River (the best boarding spot in central TX). We live on Lake Grapevine in the middle of Dallas and FT Worth. Makes any commute super easy and there is a lake in your backyard. If that doesn't do it, I would look east of Dallas. West Texas is moving closer to DFW every year.