Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 corvette ignition timing

i have a 97 callow way corvette boat and i cant set base timing on any one have info please let me know

Describe what your distributor looks like and where it is located.

i have a 97 callow way corvette boat and i cant set base timing on any one have info please let me know

it is a gm tbi dict from 88-95 the biggest thing i cant do is set base timing, no timing disconnect. i was wondering if there is a special plug in to use?? cars i know boats, enough to get my self into trouble. thanks for any help

I think this is what you need. Yes there is a special plug.

That is the LS1 right?

http://www.fauxpas.org/mystuff/pdf/Tune_Up_and_Timing.pdf

Read the part about the LS1. Read page 2 carefully.

"It is a distributorless ignition system and does not have adjustable timing ignition. The only way the timing will be altered is by loosening the hold down clamp and turning the distributor."

Edited by areamike

That is the LS1 right?

"It is a distributorless ignition system and does not have adjustable timing ignition. The only way the timing will be altered is by loosening the hold down clamp and turning the distributor."

I think his motor is based on the LT1 vs. the LS1 engine. The LS1 first came out in Corvettes in '97. The marine industry normally lags behind the automotive industry by a year or two.

it is a gm tbi dict from 88-95 the biggest thing i cant do is set base timing, no timing disconnect. i was wondering if there is a special plug in to use?? cars i know boats, enough to get my self into trouble. thanks for any help

Is your distributor located at the rear on the engine? If so, see if you have a pig-tail wire somewhere close to the distributor. The color code will probably be white w/purple stripe. This wire should be grounded to the engine block. Then start the engine and set your timing to the correct base setting. 10* BTDC sounds right.

The '97 'Vette has the Callaway Supernatural 383. This engine started life as a GM Small Block which got "Callaway-ized" (stroked, electric water pump, lots of blue anodized goodies, Corvette fuel rails, etc), then got marine-ized by Indmar (marine starter/altenator, Johnson water pump, etc). They only made 125 of these engines. The follow-on Vettes used the LS-1 production Indmar motors...

Edited by DWhynot

That is the LS1 right?

thank you this is just what i needed, and it is a lt based engine not a ls. anyone have any idea if you can scan this boat and get scantool data?? or is it just a generic efi computer??

Hey RASCAT,

To answer you PM, these are (were?) rated at 404 hp. I've thought about what's needed to scan this engine, but it's presently running AWSOME, so no need... The LT1 (in cars) uses the OBD-2 scan tool or this may be an EEC-V connector, or it may be something toally different...I'll have to look this weekend. This has been on my mind lately, but we may need a laptop and software tools to tune these things.

So, what number do you have, and color? Mine is #78 of 125, green with tan interior (and functional tail lights)

Hey RASCAT,

To answer you PM, these are (were?) rated at 404 hp. I've thought about what's needed to scan this engine, but it's presently running AWSOME, so no need... The LT1 (in cars) uses the OBD-2 scan tool or this may be an EEC-V connector, or it may be something toally different...I'll have to look this weekend. This has been on my mind lately, but we may need a laptop and software tools to tune these things.

So, what number do you have, and color? Mine is #78 of 125, green with tan interior (and functional tail lights)

75 OF 125 IT IS RED WITH WHITE INTERIOR

Hey RASCAT,

OBD II became the standard for GM vehicles in '96 although many vehicles became equiped with it in '95. If my memory serves me correctly the EEC series interface was only used by Ford.

• 4 weeks later...
Can someone help me with a electrical problem on a 1997 Corvette Malibu

Dennis is this the alternator issue?

Yes and no. Alternator is working correctly, however we have wiring issues we believe with how the electric water pump is wired. can you help

Can someone help me with a electrical problem on a 1997 Corvette Malibu

Dennis is this the alternator issue?

Yes and no. Alternator is working correctly, however we have wiring issues we believe with how the electric water pump is wired. can you help

I'm not familiar with that circuit,... if I had a wiring diagram I could help. Many of GM's service manuals for late model cars are on line now but you still have to subscribe to them to be able to use them. I currently don't have anything for Corvettes. I'll see if I can dig something up though. For right now, check all you ground points on the engine block for corrosion and tightness.