Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold Water Poll

martho

Have you ever ski/foot/board in water below 50F?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever ski/foot/board in water below 50F?

• Yes
    • No

Coldest water we were in last year was 37... no reason to think this year will be any diff't

Heck our water temp is in the mid to upper 40's but I'm not going to get in warm water wussy here. I'm not afraid to admit it. We ususally stop at the end of October and start in March or April. Once winter is here it's mt biking and snow skiing.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martho

• Malibudude

• NorCaliBu

• Bill_AirJunky

Coldest water we were in last year was 37... no reason to think this year will be any diff't

Heck our water temp is in the mid to upper 40's but I'm not going to get in warm water wussy here. I'm not afraid to admit it. We ususally stop at the end of October and start in March or April. Once winter is here it's mt biking and snow skiing.

What are the lakes like out there mid to late Oct? I might have a weekend there Oct 15 and 16

I have a 150 degree rule.   Tongue.gif

It gives me about a 7 month season...

From all of us up here in the North...

:biteme:

:)

What he said! That would give us about a 2 day season up here this year.

The last few times boarding (just in board shorts or a shorty) water temp was 60 - 63 (don't own a dry suit and don't want to look like Bib the Michelin man on a board). Yesterday evening we had a great time boarding and the lake was perfectly flat, but now we're pulling the boats out of the lake as the nights are expected to drop well below freezing. Done for the year except for perhaps a skate or two behind the Seadoo.

Heck yes!  That's what drysuits, hoods, heaters, and showers are for!

With boats costing $40K plus skiing 9 to 10 months out of the year up here is the only way to justify the cost. The hard part is finding other willing to ride with you. Heated drivers seat. Yahoo.gif

This is exactly right. And yeah, the heated seat is one thing I don't have that I wish I did. May have to add that to the winter projects list.

BTW, just picked up a two outlet heater with a couple hot tubes for the passenger side. I'm trying to improve my odds of having someone else around willing to go!

this spring my son and a friend were driving past the pond.  the friend says "look at that moron water skiing!".  my son said "that's my dad".  LOL

by the way, son didn't refute the 'moron'. Yahoo.gif

That is funny! Having skied with you, moron isn't the word that comes to my mind. Now 'lunatic' on the other hand... Crazy.gif

This is a picture one of our ski club members barefooting in an air temp of 20degrees and water below freezing. Crazy.gif

Its on the Mississippi river near the Ford Plant in St. Paul. Apparently the plant pumps or generates enough heated water to keep a certain stretch along the river from freezing. Paul actually layed on the ice when he started and stood up once he hit the water. I skied and ended up with a brain freeze from He*& Surprised.gif

Edit: I guess this is him on trick skis

Slidden Crazy.gif

post-33-1126236544_thumb.jpg

Edited by WakeGirl
This is a picture one of our ski club members barefooting in an air temp of 20degrees and water below freezing. Crazy.gif 

Its on the Mississippi river near the Ford Plant in St. Paul.  Apparently the plant pumps or generates enough heated water to keep a certain stretch  along the river from freezing.  Paul actually layed on the ice when he started and stood up once he hit the water.  I skied and ended up with a brain freeze from He*& Surprised.gif

Edit:  I guess this is him on trick skis

I rest my case! Crazy.gif

Sunset Bob, our friend Dave, and I footed one winter at least once each month so we could claim to have footed all year round. December was no problem.  January was pretty cold.  February was pretty brutal.  There was ice in the marina but not in the river channel.  Water temp was just above freezing and air temp was mid 30's.

The photo is of Bob with a brain freeze headache!

Are you sure this isn't a picture of him realizing what he's wearing? ? ?

What are the lakes like out there mid to late Oct?  I might have a weekend there Oct 15 and 16

Depends on the weather (obviously) but they should still be in the 60's in October. In what part of CA would you be?

Done for the year....

Cry.gif Say it ain't so. Man, I would have to move... :(

Our season is just beginning now that the wallies have put their boats away.

Yahoo.gif Time for some flat, wally-free water. Yahoo.gif

Sunset Bob, our friend Dave, and I footed one winter at least once each month so we could claim to have footed all year round. December was no problem.  January was pretty cold.  February was pretty brutal.  There was ice in the marina but not in the river channel.  Water temp was just above freezing and air temp was mid 30's.

The photo is of Bob with a brain freeze headache!

Are you sure this isn't a picture of him realizing what he's wearing? ? ?

Well, he does kind of look like a pink and black condom that the top popped off of.

LOL

We used to take a shot of wild turkey and slide off the dock into Donner lake when I was younger.

The Sacto river was 71 today. The temps are dropping fast.

We used to take a shot of wild turkey and slide off the dock into Donner lake when I was younger.

The Sacto river was 71 today.  The temps are dropping fast.

The rivers are probably a few degrees cooler than the lakes, but yes temps are cooling off. Well summer isn't over and we could still see 100+, so bring it on!!

I would love to take a set on Christmas Day, however it is hard to find people who are not doing family things and can make a couple hours to go ski.

Yeah...eh..honey...say...would you mind if..... :lol:

When we bought the heated seat the deal was that I can get a pull ANY day that I ask. Yahoo.gif

Joe

I've said it (jealously) many times....... Joe wins (the marrying the perfect chick contest....)

:biteme:

:) Pat

• 2 years later...
Most guys have the 100 degree rule; if the combined temp of the water and air is less than 100 degrees, they don't ski.

A few years ago we established the 80 degree rule. Water was 42, air was 38.  Skied and footed that entire day, it was one of the best days of the year.

Looks like Martho has now lowered the bar to the 70 degree rule.  It's all yours dude!

I have a 150 degree rule. Tongue.gif

It gives me about a 7 month season...

Plus1.gif

We like to get out the weekend after the ice is off the lake. (this was when i lived in wisconsin) In fall it was always harder to get on the lake because of Badger Football. now that i am in KS, i haven't found any die hards, just fair weather boaters.

I am sticking with the 100 degree rule.........we surf all winter long in Dallas, TX (well at least once per month). Martho, Rockon.gif with the 70 degree rule.

• 3 weeks later...

Got out today. May be last ski for the year. All boats out, next week isn't looking good. May be getting snow Mon. and Tues. Nightse going into twenties. Water @ 50degb Air at 55 @ start 46 when we quit. I will keep my boat ready to go untill Dec. You never know lake iced up late last year. Stellar year!!!!

Got out yesterday. 47 degree air temp & 49 degree water temp. Great water & good weather. Winterized the boat today. If it warmed up anytime I'd pull it out of storage in a heartbeat. But it's time to pull out the ATVs & get them ready to rock n roll.

post-821-1194222482_thumb.jpg

I pulled my boat and put it to bed today. I didn't even get a ski in. The water was 49* and the air about 55.

It was a good year though as I skied about a week ago.

Here's one of the many reasons why I do not live in the north... spent just about the entire weekend on the water! Air - low 80's. Water - high 60's. Skied, 'footed and power tubed. Can barely move this morning but who cares! Tied my season best yesterday! In November!!! Rockon.gif

Today's weather will be the same so another set for sure at lunch. Thumbup.gif

Other than a little cooling off tomorrow we're looking at the same weather pattern for the next 5-6 days. Biggrin.gif

Edited by Clay