Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold Water Poll

martho

Have you ever ski/foot/board in water below 50F?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever ski/foot/board in water below 50F?

• Yes
    • No

With all the recent talk of summer winding down and the water temps dropping, it prompted me to start thinking about who plays in the cold.

Last year we skied until 12/18 and then started 3/6. The coldest day was 36F air and 34F water.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martho

• Malibudude

• NorCaliBu

• Bill_AirJunky

As long as there's no ice..I'm there dude. I'm have only 3 more months to go to make skiing in every calendar month this year.

List of ski buddies gets pretty short with water below 50F.

Edited by Tom Sawyer

Most guys have the 100 degree rule; if the combined temp of the water and air is less than 100 degrees, they don't ski.

A few years ago we established the 80 degree rule. Water was 42, air was 38. Skied and footed that entire day, it was one of the best days of the year.

Looks like Martho has now lowered the bar to the 70 degree rule. It's all yours dude!

Most guys have the 100 degree rule; if the combined temp of the water and air is less than 100 degrees, they don't ski.

A few years ago we established the 80 degree rule. Water was 42, air was 38.  Skied and footed that entire day, it was one of the best days of the year.

Looks like Martho has now lowered the bar to the 70 degree rule.  It's all yours dude!

I have a 150 degree rule. Tongue.gif

It gives me about a 7 month season...

I'm with Clay - 80 is the combined limit (we won't get ice here).

75 gallon tub full of hot water on the dock for before and after (filled up using a quick connect off the engine).

thin latex gloves under the ski gloves when it's really cold, swim cap (seems to work better for me. Water gets into the hood when I use it).

Only problem in the past was the feet freeze - my new hardshells have solved that problem. I can throw the liners in the tub before the set and now I can make it through the set before they go numb.

Edited by Addictedto6

forgot to add - it will probably be a while before we even have to break out the shorty or dry suit. two years ago, we were in shorts through october...

Edited by Addictedto6

A few years ago we established the 80 degree rule. Water was 42, air was 38.  Skied and footed that entire day, it was one of the best days of the year.

Looks like Martho has now lowered the bar to the 70 degree rule.  It's all yours dude!

Funny, I always thought that the 100 degree rule was for determining whether or not you needed a drysuit. Go figure.

I've been behind a boat when the water was less than 50 degrees, but I'll admit that I don't like it. We typically get out at least 1 time per month (for pride's sake) throughout the year, I drive & Joe skis or wakeboards. And no, we don't own drysuits either. It's entirely possible that it would make the experience more enjoyable. ;)

Kevin, that's just mean. We're already talking about having to bust out the wetsuits when the boat comes in.

I have been on the water with ice still in the corners of the lake but not for a bunch of years and that was before dry suits were around.

I am getting old and soft though. I skied this morning and it was 57* but the water was 72 so it wasn't bad.

The only bad part is the brain freeze when that cold water is smacking your face.

Nothin like hangin on LL while your head is pounding from the brain freeze. When it gets really cold, I foot with the booties that I have on in that picture.

In our area, Oct/Nov are the best months of the year for good water. No boats, no wind and sunshine. Last year I skied 20+ days in Oct.

BTW: I remember seeing a picture of Aneal riding in the snow

Edited by martho

Always found the afore mentioned rules were meant to be broken...

I remember one day last winter slipping on the ice on the dock, then knocking the ice off the boat cover before skiing.... aaack! Crazy.gif

Realistically, being a river skier means the season ends when the debris gets too dangerous.

I have a 150 degree rule. Tongue.gif

It gives me about a 7 month season...

I'm with you. But I have been in 60deg water and 65 air, with just a shorty. Never again. I will keep with the 140 rule.

We were out one day in the winter of 03/04 with the water at 38*. Not sure what the air temp was but it started snowing Shocking.gif so it was kinda chilly. It was funny, for a couple of weeks everywhere I went people I know around our small town were asking "Was that you out there when it was snowing?" Then they'd mutter something like "moron" or "idiot" as they walked away shaking their heads. Crazy.gif

:lol: It was one of those "life experience" kind of things. :)

(And I have no heater, no shower)

I don't fall into the above question of barefooting, skiing, or wakeboarding but I have been jet skiing in January and it was snowing outside. I don't know what the water temp was but the air was at least 32 maybe even colder. I was wearing basically my snow ski gear under my dry suit, neoprene booties, gloves, and a helmet. My face, hands, and feet were still FREEZING!!! We did it just to be able to say that we did it... Crazy.gif

the coldest i've been in was 65air and 56water at locally on my birthday(jan 28) at the local reservoir.

but i usually abide by the 150 degree rule. Tongue.gifTongue.gif last weekend riding started at 7am with 85*air, 90*water and no wind. man, that was rough.

Edited by madchild
Heck yes!  That's what drysuits, hoods, heaters, and showers are for!

With boats costing $40K plus skiing 9 to 10 months out of the year up here is the only way to justify the cost. The hard part is finding other willing to ride with you. Heated drivers seat. Yahoo.gif

Could not have said it better. We put too much time and money into this sport to ski only the warm months.

We only missed 5 weeks last year! We skied through mid Nov. and then got out for day on Dec 21. Then the long haul to Feb 7. when our season started. Been skiing ever since. I think we're somewhere in the 80 degree rule. It's not uncommon for CO to get a 50 degree day in Dec. but the cold nights get the water down into the low 30's. Ice is our problem.

I'm not sure the water ever drops below 50 here, but early this year I jumped in some 62-degree water and thought I was going to turn into a block of ice. Holy cow that was uncomfortable.

I guess we're spoiled. I prefer water > 80, and air about the same which is all but a few months of the year. Even 150 combined is on my bottom edge. I like 175 or above. :)

My new boat has a heater and shower though, first I've ever owned, so maybe that will extend my season a bit. I haven't used either yet.

I think the reason I like it warmer than many is that a large portion of the time we spend on the water is just goofing off, swimming and stuff, and if the water is cold it's just not fun to do that.