Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold Water Poll

martho

Have you ever ski/foot/board in water below 50F?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever ski/foot/board in water below 50F?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martho

• Malibudude

• NorCaliBu

• SunriseH2OSkier

38 degree water... 32 degree air a few weekends ago. And amazingly enough, it wasn't near as bad as I thought it was going to be. As long as you have the right gear, and want to ski, it will happen.

Pics here:

http://www.foilfreaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2405

My previous cold water outings hovered around the 90 degree rule, but this was combined 70. Towards the end of the trip it was the 80 degree rule and that felt quite warm. :) When you are addicted to this sport, you do what you have to do I guess. But I will be happy when it's wetsuit weather again!

38 degree water... 32 degree air a few weekends ago. And amazingly enough, it wasn't near as bad as I thought it was going to be. As long as you have the right gear, and want to ski, it will happen.

That's all it takes really, the right gear and the desire to ski. Your pics remind me of our last outing in '07, Black Friday. It snowed while we were driving to the lake, low thirties air and water. There is no "rule" to skiing, if you want to go you'll find a way. All I need is liquid water. Just installed a shower so atleast we don't have to fill up the hot coolers before leaving the house.

I never thought I would say this, but the one time I have used the heated seat this year I noticed a difference.

The older I get, the more whimpy things I like!!!

Pics here:

http://www.foilfreaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2405

My previous cold water outings hovered around the 90 degree rule, but this was combined 70. Towards the end of the trip it was the 80 degree rule and that felt quite warm. :) When you are addicted to this sport, you do what you have to do I guess. But I will be happy when it's wetsuit weather again!

Nice pics! Question. Do you notice your foil performs differently in really cold water? For us slalom junkies, our skis feel like Ferraris in cold water. They accelerate fast and turn tight.

Question. Do you notice your foil performs differently in really cold water? For us slalom junkies, our skis feel like Ferraris in cold water. They accelerate fast and turn tight.

Yes, there is a DEFINITE difference in cold water. But for us it is the opposite - we can't get as high on jumps/inverts, we have more issues of glitching (the foil will twitch sometimes in the water), it's harder to combo (flip to flip), it messes with the lift of our skis (we have to shim things differently to get the foil to ride level). But with the advances made in the past few years, we are overcoming alot of that. It's still MUCH better riding in 80 degree water... and not only for the foil, but also the rider. :) Some guys won't even ride under 50 degree water temps due to the above things... but as you see, that doesn't stop the crazier folks. Yahoo.gif

just got in from planting the course. Yahoo.gif

air and water was 44.

the first hour and a half in the water was not bad.

the last 15 minutes got kind of shivery.

just goes to prove that shivery is not dead Whistling.gif

10 day forecast doesn't look great but we will be ready for the next break in the rain.

it was a long winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Pineview Reservoir in the mountains of northern Utah. The Ski resort 10 min from here got 10 inches of snow last week and are still open.

post-5917-1208927878_thumb.jpg

post-5917-1208927872_thumb.jpg

We are about 90 miles from Canada - if we didn't go in the water when it was less than 50 our boating year would consist of about one month. If your gonna make the payment you have got to use the boat.

• 1 month later...

This year we went out the day the ice was going off the lake with 7mm wetsuits/hoods/gloves. Water temp 32-33 degrees. We actually got hot in the wetsuits. It was sunny with an air temp of around 65. The coldest part was standing in the "ice chunks" blowing in along the shoreline while landing the boat.

• 4 months later...

No need to ride in water that cold. I definitely envy those of you with the motivation to do so!! We exchange the river for the mountain when the water is too cold ....and keep on ridin.

160ish hrs a summer Surfing.gif +35 days a winter :skiing: =12 months of riding. Last May we went snowboarding on Sat and wakeboarding on Sun!

They don't have the benefit of the mountains that we have, so I think that it could be argued that yes, there is a need. If I lived in the midwest, I think that I'd probably try to go all year 'round as well.

I think that it's more of a challenge when you go with colder air vs. water like that than vice versa.

They don't have the benefit of the mountains that we have, so I think that it could be argued that yes, there is a need. If I lived in the midwest, I think that I'd probably try to go all year 'round as well.

I think that it's more of a challenge when you go with colder air vs. water like that than vice versa.

WakeGirl' you hit it. the water is not the tough part it is the air. The trick is to have a big smile so when you get up and start skiing at 36mph your face freezes with the smile on!!!!!!! If it is very cold we put a cooler of hot water in the boat so we can warm or hands and feet,

They don't have the benefit of the mountains that we have, so I think that it could be argued that yes, there is a need.

I was just responding to the original question of whether I ride in water below 50*, and for me there is no need. I envy those who have the motivation to ride in water/air that cold! More power to 'em! Rockon.gif

I would like to say that if I lived in the midwest (still), I would ride through the winter......but honestly, I don't think I would. That is haaaardcore! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been skiing all winter. Using a 5/4/3 hooded surfing wetsuit, 3mm scuba gloves, 2mm neoprene socks. Skiing behing my buddy's high-performance bass boat- no winterization required. Immediately after the run we throw full gore-tex bodysuits on.

Coldest day for us was 25 degree air temps, 38 degree water. Skiing in 40 degree air temps is easy. The wetsuits are rated to 32 degrees- just about as cold as water gets here in the midwest.

The feet were the weak link for me, but that problem was solved with a cooler full of hot water for dunking afterwards. We thought it would be difficult, but, honestly, it hasn't been that bad at all.

Been skiing all winter. Using a 5/4/3 hooded surfing wetsuit, 3mm scuba gloves, 2mm neoprene socks. Skiing behing my buddy's high-performance bass boat- no winterization required. Immediately after the run we throw full gore-tex bodysuits on.

Coldest day for us was 25 degree air temps, 38 degree water. Skiing in 40 degree air temps is easy. The wetsuits are rated to 32 degrees- just about as cold as water gets here in the midwest.

The feet were the weak link for me, but that problem was solved with a cooler full of hot water for dunking afterwards. We thought it would be difficult, but, honestly, it hasn't been that bad at all.

You're definately braver than I. Though, we've been hitting -20/-25 the past couple days (Celcius, so that's gotta be like -abillion F, haha)

A few of us hit the lake last weekend, never did I think I’d be out under the 100 degree rule. If you’re real cold use a 3 1/2 yo Elmo slippers……

How did this sneak by without my comment?

It was cold, but luckily the wind wasn't blowing and the sun was out; plus we were above the fog. It was a great day on the water.

We need to organize a February ride…

• 5 weeks later...
A few of us hit the lake last weekend, never did I think I'd be out under the 100 degree rule. If you're real cold use a 3 1/2 yo Elmo slippers……

How did this sneak by without my comment?

It was cold, but luckily the wind wasn't blowing and the sun was out; plus we were above the fog. It was a great day on the water.

We need to organize a February ride…

Don't know but we missed a Feb ride...........March then? :)