Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boats you've owned

Boomer

This could be a long list but I will sorta break it down to boats my family owned and i used and boats I owned.

<snip>

Doh! Awesome list man, I'm jealous!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stewart

• aneal000

• 88Skier

• LS-One

Top Posters In This Topic

74 Sea Sprite TriHull OB 75HP Johnson

The stationwagon.

Held up remarkably well for as much as we punished it.

88 EbbTide IO 6cyl Merc 175

Our kids were a little older here, skiing and the like.

Really pretty well done. Fit and finish were good.

Wakes were not bad. Not enough torque to pull back.

99 Sportster Indmar 310HP - still love this boat.

First towboat. Whew. ALWAYS wanted a towboat.

Rocket on roller-skates. Just like it says in the book.

If it would run while the thermometer is sub 50° F i would probably still have it.

Carbs suck. Best footing wakes i've seen, ever.

Pricing upgrades (mufflers, new mooring cover, pp)

put me in the 'something new' mood.

04 Response Indmar 320HP LCR

I would like this boat better if i was not doing something

stupid to her every time i turn around.

An occasional backfire is the only persistent problem.

Yea, I go through boats pretty quickly.  So much so that I am working on a deal to purchase my local marina.  I use my boats heavily though giving lessons and as a demo for the marina through a deal I have worked out.

I did forget my thoughts though so I will give a quick rundown.

Build wise and comfort wise not one boat comes close to the Cobalts my parents have.  Their gel is like a mirror and they are so well thought out and nice, if only they had a wake.  Second to that I have really become a Malibu man.  I enjoyed my nautiques and they were very solid and well built, but I hated the v-drive wake and they always had dumb things wrong, like decals that would fall off and seams in the seat that would go right around 500 hours everytime.  As for the mastercrafts, they had some nice wakes and worked well, but I had so many problems with them.  I know they are supposedly built well, but my last x-star was a p o s in all aspects and drove me away from them as a whole.  I would give them a look in the future, but am very weary.  As for my bu's I have had some probelms such as vinyl tears and had a fuel pump and perfect pass cable go, but overall they have proven much more reliable and durable than my other boats and my 04 was my favorite boat ever, although this 05 vlx may top that.

Great input. I do agree on the Cobalts, they are the "cadillac" of the runabouts.

we've only had 2 boats while i've been in the house, a '98 doral center console for fishin off ensenada. actually that boat was what we boarded behind for 4 years. good fun. no ballast and the wake was still big. then the infamous 'bu.

after i finish school, my first purchase is goning to be a 'bu for sure!!!

before me my dad had a ton of boats. hydros, flatbottoms, i've seen pics, they look like scary fun!! actually his own whaler by the time he was 11. he said all the kids in ft. lauderdale did.

Yea, I go through boats pretty quickly.  So much so that I am working on a deal to purchase my local marina.  I use my boats heavily though giving lessons and as a demo for the marina through a deal I have worked out.

I did forget my thoughts though so I will give a quick rundown.

Build wise and comfort wise not one boat comes close to the Cobalts my parents have.  Their gel is like a mirror and they are so well thought out and nice, if only they had a wake.  Second to that I have really become a Malibu man.  I enjoyed my nautiques and they were very solid and well built, but I hated the v-drive wake and they always had dumb things wrong, like decals that would fall off and seams in the seat that would go right around 500 hours everytime.  As for the mastercrafts, they had some nice wakes and worked well, but I had so many problems with them.  I know they are supposedly built well, but my last x-star was a p o s in all aspects and drove me away from them as a whole.  I would give them a look in the future, but am very weary.  As for my bu's I have had some probelms such as vinyl tears and had a fuel pump and perfect pass cable go, but overall they have proven much more reliable and durable than my other boats and my 04 was my favorite boat ever, although this 05 vlx may top that.

Great input. I do agree on the Cobalts, they are the "cadillac" of the runabouts.

I should have my Buddy in Fla. share his experiences with Colbalt 2 defective hulls replaced under warranty all prior to him moving to FLa from Cali both boats being used only fresh water lakes. I know its a small thing but when he took delivery of the first Colbalt I was unimpressed when the the plaque Colbalt mounted on the dash that said "this Colbalt custom built for ---------------" was crooked as hell. I was also unimpressed with pinstripe tape in lieu of gel coated stripes for the bux he paid.

After he took delivery of his third Colbalt we downloaded their letterhead and typed a very professional looking NOTICE OF RECALL and arragend for the letter to be delivered when we all their That was truly classic I've never in my lifetime seen a man in such a rage. Yahoo.gif

I've been around a lot of Cobalts and for the most part I think they are very high quality boats. Got to test one of the inboards in '97 when they had it at a K-State tournament when I was a senior in high school looking at going to K-State. I think if Cobalt would have come into the market about 3 years later, when V-drives were more popular, they could have probably kept up.

It's amazing the types of boats they build out of there factory in little Neodesha, KS, a town of about 3k in the middle of nowhere in SE Kansas.

My Malibu dealer sells both Malibus (obviously Crazy.gif ) and Cobalts. I always take a look at them when I am down there. Those are crazy big boats with a crazy big price tag. Nice looking too.

Didn't they buy Hydrodyne's DD mold? They were beautiful boats, but were ahead of their time. They were big and heavy and weren't great ski boats.

I'm not either, I've got 2 neighbors that have them and they are beautiful boats.

Well built too. Someone told me a story of one falling off a truck at high spped and only needing gel coat work.

Boat I learned to ski behind and many family trips/memories was a home-built boat that my dad and his best friend built the year I was born. It was a 14 ft wooden, low freeboard boat that was rated at 45 hp, so they promptly put a 50 hp Merc on it. We generally skied on a lake at about 7000 ft elevation and the Merc could push the boat at 32 mph wide open. It struggled to get a deap water slalom out of the water, so we always shore started and I would take about 30 ft of slack and have the driver "hit it" from a fast idle to get me on plane. I could pull the boat around, but it was a fun time.

When I was 17, the old wooden boat was in poor condition (ski one run, bail water, repeat) my dad got a good deal on a 76 Reinell with a 85 Evenrude on it - we thought we were in heaven with that much power.

Then got my 97 Echelon new in the spring of 97

99 Sunsetter Lxi in spring of 04

First boat...

197X ??? 10' Al square nose john boat, with an old electric minn kota 3 speed trolling motor. For my 10th birthday my dad bought me a 2 HP gas Mariner outboard for it! the thing would almost get on plane! I was as thrilled as could be...

do the math btw... I used to run around Lake of the Ozarks - main channel - 30 MM - summer weekends - in a 10' john boat with an electric trolling motor when I was 8! Man those were the days!

When I was 11 the family got the first jet ski... 1985 Kawasaki 550, red! And my life changed!

Was on a jet ski of some sort for many years...

86 Kaw 550 (bought used much later)

Eighty-something... built 440

93 Kaw 750Xi

94 Yamaha Waveblaster (my race bike)

Currently still have a 1990 Yamaha superjet 650

Bought first boat in 1996, a brand new Mariah Shaba 180 (18' I/O) learned to wakeboard in 96 behind it. Had it for 3 years sold to by a Mailbu!

in 99 bought a used 98 Sportster LX - pure love!

in 02 got hooked up with Dan's boats as the promo driver and have had a new Bu every year (sometimes 2) since...

02 VLX

03 VLX

04 23XTi

04 23 LSV

05 21.5 VLX

First boat...

197X ??? 10' Al square nose john boat, with an old electric minn kota 3 speed trolling motor.  For my 10th birthday my dad bought me a 2 HP gas Mariner outboard for it!  the thing would almost get on plane!  I was as thrilled as could be... 

do the math btw... I used to run around Lake of the Ozarks - main channel - 30 MM - summer weekends - in a 10' john boat with an electric trolling motor when I was 8!  Man those were the days!

When I was 11 the family got the first jet ski...  1985 Kawasaki 550, red!  And my life changed!

Was on a jet ski of some sort for many years...

86 Kaw 550 (bought used much later)

Eighty-something... built 440

93 Kaw 750Xi

94 Yamaha Waveblaster (my race bike)

Currently still have a 1990 Yamaha superjet 650

Bought first boat in 1996, a brand new Mariah Shaba 180 (18' I/O) learned to wakeboard in 96 behind it.  Had it for 3 years sold to by a Mailbu!

in 99 bought a used 98 Sportster LX - pure love!

in 02 got hooked up with Dan's boats as the promo driver and have had a new Bu every year (sometimes 2) since...

02 VLX

03 VLX

04 23XTi

04 23 LSV

05 21.5 VLX

Oddly, I thought that list would be longer :)

Oddly, I thought that list would be longer  :)

Actually, you won't believe this, but I forgot two...

maybe when I list what they are you might see how they slipped my mind...

14' wet bottom sail boat and a Sunfish (had those for about 2 years)

I'll have to think about it for a while and see if I forgot anything else...

:)

Oddly, I thought that list would be longer  :)

Actually, you won't believe this, but I forgot two...

maybe when I list what they are you might see how they slipped my mind...

14' wet bottom sail boat and a Sunfish (had those for about 2 years)

I'll have to think about it for a while and see if I forgot anything else...

:)

Haha, I forgot a couple as well: I too had a Sunfish and Laser. Yes, I was a dork! I also had 3 or 4 windsurfers too, then I found Jet Ski's and dumped the wind powered surf boards. :)

1. 9’ Sabot, home built, plywood and glass

2. 16’ OB fishing skiff , homebuilt, plywood/fiber glass

3. 22’ cruiser, home built, plywood and glass

4. 13 Glasstron G3, w/75 hp Flying Scott

5. 25’ 1948 wood sloop

6. 18’ inboard ski boat, home built, ply and glass

7. 31’ 1936 wood Alden cutter

8. 20’ Kona IO

9. 32’ Cabin cruiser, home built plywood/glass

10. 38’ 1912 wood Stone Cutter

11. 42’ Westsail

12. 45’ wood Trojan Cruiser

13. 88’ 1903 wood Stone schooner

14. 20’ Sanger Flat Bottom V drive 455

15. 42’ wood Kettenburg sloop

16. 62’ 1938 wood Fife cutter

17. 17’ Kona /115 Merc

18. 50’ 1926 wood Hershoff New York 40

19. 32’ Bertram Sportfisher

20. 58’ wood Tiffany motor sailor

21. 50’ Santa Cruz

22. 45’ wood Alden Schooner

23. 33’ Soverell

24. 44’ Pacifica Sportfisher

25. 38’ Cal Yacht

26. 33’ Hobbie

27. 45’ Kantola Tri

28. 24’ C-cat

29. 55’ Kantola Cat

30. 01 Malibu Sunsetter

31. 95’ 1931 Fife Schooner

5. 25’ 1948 wood sloop

8. 20’ Kona IO

11. 42’ Westsail

17. 17’ Kona /115 Merc

21. 50’ Santa Cruz

23. 33’ Soverell

25. 38’ Cal Yacht

26. 33’ Hobbie

27. 45’ Kantola Tri

28. 24’ C-cat

29. 55’ Kantola Cat

30. 01 Malibu Sunsetter

What are doing, starting your own Navy? :lol:

5. 25’ 1948 wood sloop

8. 20’ Kona IO

11. 42’ Westsail

17. 17’ Kona /115 Merc

21. 50’ Santa Cruz

23. 33’ Soverell

25. 38’ Cal Yacht

26. 33’ Hobbie

27. 45’ Kantola Tri

28. 24’ C-cat

29. 55’ Kantola Cat

30. 01 Malibu Sunsetter

Thumbup.gif Nice collection. I'd take anything over 30' right now! Sounds like you have had some impressive rides!

Grew up with 2 Thumbs using the family boats

1969 Mark Twain with 150 Merc

1978 Celebrity 20 i/o w. 228hp

1976 Cherokee 16' aluminum fishing boat with 50 hp Merc and a stick steer in the front. We used to ski behind it, ride the original hydroslide, etc. I even tried more than a few times to barefoot behind it. That beast was donated a few years back with cracked transom mount brackets.

1992 Celebrity 22' i/o - 454 and thru hull exhaust

1985 Baja with 175hp Merc outboard

1992 Sea Ray Ski-Ray closed bow inboad.

My boats

1998 MC Prostar 190 Sammy Duvall edition

1998 Skeeter ZX185 bass boat w/ Yamaha V-Max 150hp

2000 Skeeter XZ210 bass boat w/ Yamaha v-Max 225hp

2001 SLXi

Only one left for me is the SLXi...gonna keep it, probably add a RLXi w/ 383 to the stable in 1-2yrs

5. 25’ 1948 wood sloop

8. 20’ Kona IO

11. 42’ Westsail