Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I hate to say -

kbtheboz

2 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

My slalom ski is brutally honest, in a mean spirited, vicious, nasty sort of sort of way.  When she declares I am fat and out of shape, there's no debating her; its time to get to work and cut the pounds. :)

:lol:  Mine is also brutal.   I bought a longer ski (69) because of my size, and it is a b*tch to deep water start.  Comically, I find it easier to get up on my cheap HO combo ski (67) but it isn't nearly as much fun.  

• Like 2

I had a mid 80's 19' Chriscraft Scorpion with a 5.0L that we propped down. It ran 5500 rpm at 36mph but she could pull me up slalom with 7ppl and a cooler full of beer on board.

i agree that it's much more about skill and technique than power. I've skied behind just about everything and have had to hold on a long time sometimes before the boat pulling me planed and got to speed. I remember one friend's boat that was so underpowered I could actually bring it to a stop by my slalom ski power.

Edited by braindamage
15 hours ago, braindamage said:

I had a mid 2980's 19' Chriscraft Scorpion with a 5.0L that we propped down. It ran 5500 rpm at 36mph but she could pull me up slalom with 7ppl and a cooler full of beer on board.

i agree that it's much more about skill and technique than power. I've skied behind just about everything and have had to hold on a long time sometimes before the boat pulling me planed and got to speed. I remember one friend's boat that was so underpowered I could actually bring it to a stop by my slalom ski power.

I have actually skied behind a 90hp pontoon boat.  I don't remember how long it took me to get up, but it was FOR.EV.ER.  And every time I'd cut, I would pull the boat.  I don't know how fast it went, either, probably not even 20MPH.

In '77 my best bud and still best ski partner bought an old green runabout with a 50 hp Evinrude because he wanted us to become water skiers! We eventually were able to get up on one ski, and the fun thing to do at the time was to pull the boat off plane with a good hard cut.  We called her "The Green Hemorrhoid" because when the motor warmed up the coil failed and it wouldn't start for another hour. Used to ski up river tlll it died, then float back down to the launch!

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
18 hours ago, braindamage said:

I had a mid 2980's 19' Chriscraft Scorpion with a 5.0L that we propped down. It ran 5500 rpm at 36mph but she could pull me up slalom with 7ppl and a cooler full of beer on board.

Our first boat was a 1983 Chris Craft Scorpion 16'9" with the 140hp inline 4 Merc. That was a blast to get up on a ski behind! Now that I think about that boat, it would be cool to have as a restoration project, they were great looking boats.

my last boat was a 19' Bayliner with 125 hp outboard - i could get up easily with 4 adults in the boat.   It's all about how you prop it - that boat only topped out at 37 mph.   Just didn't love the wake compared to my Malibu!

I learned to ski behind a 16 foot bass tracker with a 40 hp mercury outboard.  Talk about dragging a while.  Learning on that boat taught me to stay tucked.  I've never had a problem with any other boat getting out of the water!  

On 5/9/2017 at 3:57 AM, MalibuNation said:

The OP hasn't been online in over a year.

I will say I've always liked Crownlines and was even looking at them this past weekend.  How many people remember the LPX package?

My dream boat in high school was a solid yellow 22 ft LPX with the checker graphics. I've matured since then. I came close!

IMAG0033_zps9ohr8je6.jpg

Edited by mrnate450r
Added photo
  • Like 1
On 5/10/2017 at 3:16 PM, ahopkinsTXi said:

Our first boat was a 1983 Chris Craft Scorpion 16'9" with the 140hp inline 4 Merc. That was a blast to get up on a ski behind! Now that I think about that boat, it would be cool to have as a restoration project, they were great looking boats.

The old girl finally gave up the ghost last summer. The stringers were rotten, the motor mounts came loose and the mechanics between the engine and lower unit fried. My dad sold her for $500 I think to a guy who wanted the engine. 

I had restoration in mind before she died but my wife talked me out of it.

• Like 1

We had a late '60's tri-hull 16' with a 150hp v6. Top speed was above 30 (speedo not so accurate) but she once pulled 7 skiers out at once. We had to drag a bit. 

She had lots of power and a pretty smooshy wake for slalom.

This has turned into a reminiscing thread :biggrin:

I learned to slalom behind my brother's 1974 Silverline Comoro with the biggest motor he could strap to it - an Evinrude 150.   That boat would fly, and look good doing it (Brown and Cream, and we waxed the hull constantly as much for speed as looks).   We used to unload it at dusk, and he would make a speed run... he had the hull at the ragged edge (now I think probably more than a little unsafe) and it would chine walk its way up the lake.  I dont recall for sure, but I think he broke 60.   Who knows, a lot of brain cells have vacated my cranium since then. 

I learned to slalom on an old wood "Cut-N-Jump".  The boat would pop me out of the water like a cork (but I did weigh 80 lbs less than I do know), and I would ski until I couldnt hold on any more.  The next day I could hardly walk, and we would go do it again.    It was those memories that drove me buy the Crownline 3 seasons ago, and to move up to the Malibu this year.   Two years ago, I was back up on a slalom ski after 30 years away.  It was way harder than I remembered it, and as I commented before, as much if not more about technique than the power of the boat. 

Based upon this weekends outing, I have probably never had the kind of pull that the Malibu will give me now. 

^^We still have a set of "cut and jump" skis if you ever want to get on them again. Hope you don't mind the sandpaper "pad" in the back foot hole to keep your foot in! Black with yellow letters on them if memory serves.

32 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

^^We still have a set of "cut and jump" skis if you ever want to get on them again. Hope you don't mind the sandpaper "pad" in the back foot hole to keep your foot in! Black with yellow letters on them if memory serves.

Bet my brother still has his in the boat... the old Silverline is still in his barn, hasnt moved for probably 20 years.  The bindings probably would disintegrate if you touched them.   I remember the "sandpaper" now that you mention it.  Not sure I would want to ski on them, but the might make a nice decoration in the man cave if I could refinish them.

I thought briefly about making the Silverline a project boat, but it is in Ohio, and I am in Colorado.  Probably would cost me more than the boat is worth just to get it here, so it would have been all about sentimental value. That, and I have absolutely nowhere to put it...

• Like 1