Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I hate to say -

kbtheboz

When you are trying to get a skier up, does he have the lower unit all the way down??? Just a thought...if it is trimmed up, that could make pulling up a skier very difficult.

It could be the driver. Was he giving it enough throttle? I was able to get up with both feet in bindings behind my Glastron with a Volvo 190 HP V6. Granted, it was a smaller boat and I had to work real hard to get up, but I did get up. Looks like he has plenty of top end to play with. Maybe a 17", if he can trade the prop he just got.

A hint for pulling up heavier guys on a short ski with an underpowered towboat:

Start with the skier at a 45 to 60 degree angle from the stern.

This will give the towboat a few extra seconds to catch its powerband.

But that boat doesn't sound too underepowered to me.

Plus you're gonna hate the wake and table top once you're up anyway - very hard to edge thru

Here's an update on my friends I/O.  We went out Sat morning to try out a new prop his dealer gave him.  He went from 21" to 19".  With the 19" prop it would still bump the rev limiter at 52 MPH (GPS) at about 5200 RPM.  He said the hole shot was much improved from the 21", as you would expect. So the next test was to pull a skier. 

I jumped in and he tried to pull me up.  I couldn't get up, I was use to a inboard pulling me up for the past 23 years.  I figured it was my fault.  The second try I drug for a while a good while and lost my balance and let go.  My fault again?  the third try I was going to get up.  I drug for at least a minute or a minute 1/2, I tried to shift my weight on the ski, thinking I was just plowing through the water.  I would unweight my back foot, but I wasn't going fast enough to get on top of the water.  I let go, dead tired.

A little background before everyone tells me to loose weight.  I do ski on a short ski for an old fatboy.  I've got a 65" ski I used a few years back when I was skiing 36 MPH and was about 15 lbs lighter.  If you add the short ski with double boots maybe this was the problem. 

Should a 20' I/O with a fuel injected 5.0 V-8, 270 or 280 HP pull me up?  Was I doing something wrong, or was I subconciously trying to not get up just to make a point.  I've pulled dozens of guys over the years that are much harder to pull up than myself.  You know how some guys are like tying onto a stump, I'm not one of those, until Saturday.

What do ya'll think?

It should pull you out, maybe not as quickly as the inboard, but it should do it. Something about all of that doesn't sound right, although the short ski with double boots explains a little. How heavy is the boat?

The biggest problem that I see with trying all these different props is that when he is still not satisfied the dealer will say "well, I can't take the boat back now, it has 12 hours on it..."

Another prop down is the only way he going to gain more holeshot. 280hp would be plenty with a light, little inboard but with a big, heavy I/O...sounds to me like he wanted a skiboat but bought a runabout. I would focus all my energies towards convincing the dealer that they sold me the wrong boat before a bunch of hours are on the meter.

GalaxyToad posted:

I put nitrous on my CBR1100XX.

Why am I not surprised. :)

Edited by NorCaliBu

How many people were in the boat when you were trying? The 19" prop should be fine... as mentioned above, be sure the lower unit is all the way down, and move the passengers to the bow and forward seats. If everyone sits in the back, it may struggle quite a bit

How many people were in the boat when you were trying?  The 19" prop should be fine...  as mentioned above, be sure the lower unit is all the way down, and move the passengers to the bow and forward seats.  If everyone sits in the back, it may struggle quite a bit

It was only the driver and myself. Nobody was in the boat and I still couldn't get enough speed to get up on top! The trim was all the way down and he was punching it as hard as it would go. I know it is a big ole run-a-bout but I was still amazed! I learned to slalom behind a 85 HP Evinrude so I know about getting drug around the lake.

Boy Oh Boy, do I love my Malibu! Yahoo.gif

Sounds like an issue of patience and skill to me. My father-in-law has a 19' Glastron with a 305 chevy from the late 90's and it's propped for top speed. Our lake is at 4200 ft above sea level so power here sucks. We still managed to get two women slalom skiers up tandem (About 270lbs combined) using old rickety combo slalom skis with several people in the boat. They drug through the water for a loooong time but eventually got up on their second try. They also managed to do the same behind an old tri-hull with a 75hp Chrysler on it after some practice.

This is a shot in the dark, but it sounds like that configuration really should pull you out, so...

You may want to make sure the lower unit really is trimmed all the way down. I had a problem once with the lower unit in my old boat where it would not go down all the way. I forgot exactly how, but there was a way to, in essence, reset it by moving it completely through its motion in both directions or something like that.

Also, any chance of lots of water in the bilge?

If the gas tank is in the stern and very big, how filled up was it?

I had a severely underpowered 18' Wellcraft with a 4.3 Merc (175hp) and a 19 SS prop and as lousy as that thing was, it could still pull me out as long as people were up in the bow.

Mike

Sounds like an issue of patience and skill to me. My father-in-law has a 19' Glastron with a 305 chevy from the late 90's and it's propped for top speed. Our lake is at 4200 ft above sea level so power here sucks. We still managed to get two women slalom skiers up tandem (About 270lbs combined) using old rickety combo slalom skis with several people in the boat. They drug through the water for a loooong time but eventually got up on their second try. They also managed to do the same behind an old tri-hull with a 75hp Chrysler on it after some practice.

Now that is just mean.... Mad.gif

I'm not a patient person by nature, but I did say I hung on for about a minute and a half. I was up enough to get a breath, just never planed out.

A 19' Glastron probably weighs about 1200 lbs, remember how Gator could make them fly in the old Burt Reynolds movies?

This Crownline is a big ole well built heavy boat. I am just amazed that it can't pull a slalom skier up out of the water. I'm sure if I was on a set of Cypress Garden skis with a RTP I could get up, but there was no way anyone is going to get up with a double booted 65" ski.

"Lack of Skill" you say... you bring those two women who skied behind that Glaston and I bet I can out ski them! Tongue.gif

• 11 years later...

I know this is old as dirt but i was enjoying reading old stuff. What ever happened to the crownline? Did he get it fuligured out? 

Wow!  12-year-old thread resurrection! I bet Chris Hardwick is going to follow it up with a talking-dead episode. :)

Edited by jjackkrash

I read 2/3 of the thread before I realized how old it was.  Hilarious how some of the banter never gets old!  

• Like 3
MalibuNation

The OP hasn't been online in over a year.

I will say I've always liked Crownlines and was even looking at them this past weekend.  How many people remember the LPX package?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

The OP hasn't been online in over a year.

I will say I've always liked Crownlines and was even looking at them this past weekend.  How many people remember the LPX package?

I traded my crownline for the 22 VLX.  I loved the crownline, it was a great boat, and with the 5.7L twisting a 19P SS prop in a 182, it would pull tree stumps.  It didn't have the LPX package but those were sweet looking and performing boats.   I missed it every day this spring while waiting for the VLX to arrive. 

All that said, the VLX is making me not miss the Crownie so much, but it will always have a special place in my memories.   It let me return to slalom skiing after 30 years.   But trust me it wasn't easy.  Old, fat and out of shape is no way to return to skiing.  

I sold my 2012 Crownline E4 for my 16 VLX and have never looked back!  Unfortunately I really thought the fit and finish was lacking a bit with the Crownie.  I had several issues, albeit not major that just bugged me.  If I miss anything, it would be the E4's ability to handle the chop!

1 hour ago, JeffC said:

Old, fat and out of shape is no way to return to skiing.  

My slalom ski is brutally honest, in a mean spirited, vicious, nasty sort of sort of way.  When she declares I am fat and out of shape, there's no debating her; its time to get to work and cut the pounds. :)

I used my uncles 1990 19ft Searay for 3 years before I was able to afford my own boat.  I was 22yrs old at the time, it was a free boat to use so long as I took care of all the maintenance, even through a 4 barrel edelbrock and intake manifold on the 4.3L V6.  It was spinning a 19p 5-Blade SS prop and would pull me up on a my slalom ski with 7 people and gear in the boat.  I used to have a small 66" dual boot ski, i was 6-2 215lbs. It was a solid "8-one thousand" head count before you could even think about standing up, but it would get it done!

Edited by twitchee2
23 minutes ago, twitchee2 said:

I used my uncles 1990 19ft Searay for 3 years before I was able to afford my own boat.  I was 22yrs old at the time, it was a free boat to use so long as I took care of all the maintenance, even through a 4 barrel edelbrock and intake manifold on the 4.3L V6.  It was spinning a 19p 5-Blade SS prop and would pull me up on a my slalom ski with 7 people and gear in the boat.  I used to have a small 66" dual boot ski, i was 6-2 215lbs. It was a solid "8-one thousand" head count before you could even think about standing up, but it would get it done!

As I looked through all the old posts in this thread and thought about my experience, it's clear to me that my biggest issues were fat and out of shape, and technique.   It took me a long time, but in the end it was about the muscle memory to get the launch.   The boat had plenty of power - which meant that I either was too far back on the ski and dragged until it yanked the rope out of my hands or too far forward and it pulled me over the front of the ski.   The bigger and more out of shape I was, the narrower the sweet spot was.  Less power would have compounded that even more.  

I cant wait to see how the VLX feels.  Pretty sure the wake is going to be softer, and the pull even more powerful.