Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I hate to say -

kbtheboz

It's your fault. You should have insisted he ski behind anything he was thinking about buying. :)

Ouch!

I can't be expected to save everyone. I spend all of my free time convincing people in Abilene, Texas to not buy a Tige. As hard as I try, some slip through.

Always buy more power!  When we looked at our first I/O we were told the 4.6L V-6 was plenty on a 21'. ROFL.gif Some even said the 5.0L.

We went straight for the 5.8L and never looked back  :)  I will always buy more power.  You will never be sorry, well almost never :blush:

There is nothing wrong with owning a I/O, but man, you need to take these boats out for demo's.  Honestly, who believes everything a salesman tells you anyways?

As long as you are not blowing the motors up Tongue.gif

Any time someone ask me for advice on what to look for in a boat (power boat) I have one thing to say, which if followed usually guarantees fun........1HP for every 10 lbs of boat minimum, it may not make a good skiboat but it will be fun.

I can't ever remember in my life getting behind the wheel of a car, truck, boat or on the seat of a motorcycle & thinking, "You know, it's nice, but it's just got too much power."  :)

I dunno - saw a pic once of a 19ft or so boat with a jet helicopter engine in it.

That might be just a tad too much - LOL

Tell your ex-friend:

1. LISTEN to me damnit!

2. You're done playing around, now buy a big boy's boat.

3. If he is able to talk the Crownline dealer into trading for a MC, beware of exchanging one mistake for another.

4. Have you skied behind my boat yet?? Let's do it.

Good bike, but you're right, that would be too much for me.  :)

kb,

Keep us updated, I think that we're all curious at how this will turn out.

I've sent a link to this thread to my friend, he is getting a kick out of the suggestions. His dealer gave him a prop to try, he is going in the morning and asked me if I'd like to go. I hope I can swing it. It will be fun to compare a nice I/O to a Malibu. I don't know if I have ever been in a "good" I/O, only Larsons, Bayloungers, etc.

I'll have a report Monday.

Good bike, but you're right, that would be too much for me.  :)

kb,

Keep us updated, I think that we're all curious at how this will turn out.

I've sent a link to this thread to my friend, he is getting a kick out of the suggestions. His dealer gave him a prop to try, he is going in the morning and asked me if I'd like to go. I hope I can swing it. It will be fun to compare a nice I/O to a Malibu. I don't know if I have ever been in a "good" I/O, only Larsons, Bayloungers, etc.

I'll have a report Monday.

Just convince the wife he needs an inboard..case settled...lol

I caught crap for 3 years until I got Jennifer in Wakeace's boat at the WOW this spring. She got a pull on her wakeboard, heard the sound system, lounged. Next thing I know I've got full license to "get it all". Yahoo.gif

Course I restrained myself and bought used. I figure Caleb will loose his resistance and sell his boat in a few years. I'll be there waiting. :)

Dealers put in the "standard engine" to meet a price point and then sell everyone that it will perform perfectly. What a crock. Mad.gif I agree with everyone. Get the horse power. You can always back off but you can't add. Same discussion goes for how well the I/O will plane. I have owned several I/Os prior to the BU and it is my opinion that anything over 20' should have trim tabs. I started putting them on a long time ago and it makes a completely different handling boat out of it, regardless of what the dealer states. You can plane at a lot lower speed, shoot out of the hole better and adjust to the load in the boat. If they are set up properly you won't even run your engine trim once in the down position. The trim tabs will go past where the engine trim will go. Point is...the dealer should sell for the long term vs. short term and have an unhappy boat owner. Yahoo.gif

I can't ever remember in my life getting behind the wheel of a car, truck, boat or on the seat of a motorcycle & thinking, "You know, it's nice, but it's just got too much power."  :)

You've never ridden a CR500 Biggrin.gif

When I was younger (and could heal from the crashes :( ) I used to ride a YZ490 out in the deserts of So Cal. A riding buddy of mine was working for NOS at the time and he put a small NOS kit on his CR500 Shocking.gif I rode it once and when you hit the button you'd almost fall off the back of the bike, unreal acceleration. Biggrin.gif (put a lot of dirt up in the air too Crazy.gif ).

You've never ridden a CR500 Biggrin.gif

When I was younger (and could heal from the crashes :( ) I used to ride a YZ490 out in the deserts of So Cal. A riding buddy of mine was working for NOS at the time and he put a small NOS kit on his CR500 Shocking.gif I rode it once and when you hit the button you'd almost fall off the back of the bike, unreal acceleration. Biggrin.gif (put a lot of dirt up in the air too Crazy.gif ).

I know I ride more cautiously (read slow) than I did when I was a teenager. Cry.gif

A freaking nitrous CR500? Shocking.gif

I've ridden a plain CR250 once, and holy crap.

Yeah, it was a wee bit scary. :) or is that "It was scary and made me wee a bit." Crazy.gif

:lol:

CR500 + big sand paddle tire + NOS = Shocking.gif Speed!! Yahoo.gif

Of course, I'm much more "mature" now... Whistling.gif ...and wouldn't do such foolish things anymore. Biggrin.gif

A freaking nitrous CR500? Shocking.gif

I've ridden a plain CR250 once, and holy crap.

Yeah, it was a wee bit scary. :) or is that "It was scary and made me wee a bit." Crazy.gif

:lol:

CR500 + big sand paddle tire + NOS = Shocking.gif Speed!! Yahoo.gif

Of course, I'm much more "mature" now... Whistling.gif ...and wouldn't do such foolish things anymore. Biggrin.gif

Yep you've progressed into a boat swamper Tongue.gif

Here's an update on my friends I/O. We went out Sat morning to try out a new prop his dealer gave him. He went from 21" to 19". With the 19" prop it would still bump the rev limiter at 52 MPH (GPS) at about 5200 RPM. He said the hole shot was much improved from the 21", as you would expect. So the next test was to pull a skier.

I jumped in and he tried to pull me up. I couldn't get up, I was use to a inboard pulling me up for the past 23 years. I figured it was my fault. The second try I drug for a while a good while and lost my balance and let go. My fault again? the third try I was going to get up. I drug for at least a minute or a minute 1/2, I tried to shift my weight on the ski, thinking I was just plowing through the water. I would unweight my back foot, but I wasn't going fast enough to get on top of the water. I let go, dead tired.

A little background before everyone tells me to loose weight. I do ski on a short ski for an old fatboy. I've got a 65" ski I used a few years back when I was skiing 36 MPH and was about 15 lbs lighter. If you add the short ski with double boots maybe this was the problem.

Should a 20' I/O with a fuel injected 5.0 V-8, 270 or 280 HP pull me up? Was I doing something wrong, or was I subconciously trying to not get up just to make a point. I've pulled dozens of guys over the years that are much harder to pull up than myself. You know how some guys are like tying onto a stump, I'm not one of those, until Saturday.

What do ya'll think?