Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I hate to say -

kbtheboz

I need help from somebody who is more mature acting than I am. A good friend came by the house one day about 3 weeks ago, while I was washing my boat and asked for advice about purchasing a boat for his family. I spent at least an hour explaining the pros and cons of inboards vs. I/O's and outboards. I was very honest about the cons of an inboard, but I was also very honest about the cons about a I/O.

Well, he let a smooth talker at a big dealership in Dallas talk him into a 22' Crownline with a little 5.0 V-8. He came by last night crying about the lack of power and how it couldn't even pull him out of the water on a slalom ski.

How do you say "I told you so" without looking like a jerk. I couldn't find a way.

And get one of those great looking foils to attach to the cavitation plate.

And make sure everyone moves up to the bow when starting out.

And only ski with 1/2 tank of fuel or less.

:)

• Like 2

He probably saved himself $10 to $15K on a boat that just won't do what he wants it to. Crownline's aren't cheap. Been there, done that. Can't help you with words though. Just like CRMNGRN suggests, new prop.

I need help from somebody who is more mature acting than I am.  A good friend came by the house one day about 3 weeks ago, while I was washing my boat and asked for advice about purchasing a boat for his family.  I spent at least an hour explaining the pros and cons of inboards vs. I/O's and outboards.  I was very honest about the cons of an inboard, but I was also very honest about the cons about a I/O. 

Well, he let a smooth talker at a big dealership in Dallas talk him into a 22' Crownline with a little 5.0 V-8.  He came by last night crying about the lack of power and how it couldn't even pull him out of the water on a slalom ski.

How do you say "I told you so" without looking like a jerk.  I couldn't find a way.

Take him out to ski behind your boat, all that you need to say to him.

• Like 2

Always buy more power! When we looked at our first I/O we were told the 4.6L V-6 was plenty on a 21'. ROFL.gif Some even said the 5.0L.

We went straight for the 5.8L and never looked back :) I will always buy more power. You will never be sorry, well almost never :blush:

There is nothing wrong with owning a I/O, but man, you need to take these boats out for demo's. Honestly, who believes everything a salesman tells you anyways?

How do you say "I told you so" without looking like a jerk.  I couldn't find a way.

I couldn't either. I had the exact same thing happen at the beginning of summer. A friend was looking at used boats in the $12-15K range and his wife kept on with the "We can get a 'nicer' I/O in that price range than the inboards we've seen". Cry.gif I tried to explain all the benefits of inboards, took them out in my boat (the water was still a little chilly so he wouldn't get in and ski, dumb@$$). Well, sure enough, he came home with a 20' I/O of some sort (Regal?, maybe Dontknow.gif ) and the thing is gutless.

I didn't say anything derogatory about the boat (but man, did I want to Biggrin.gif ) I just took him out skiing in my boat and let him feel the difference. :) Just a couple months ago I saw them out on the lake with his in-laws (his FIL is a big boy) and the boat couldn't pull his FIL out on a slalom. I just swung over and innocently asked Innocent.gif "So, how's it going with the boat?" Innocent.gif His FIL proceeded to go off on the fact that it couldn't even pull a skier. :lol:

Just to fan the flames a little I offered to pull his FIL behind my Bu. He declined saying he was too tired from hanging on while being a trolling lure for the I/O. :lol:

With all the demo-ability out there, why wouldn't you try and test before buying? Everytime I buy a vehicle, I've tested everything in the same class, above and below. Buyers remorse is the worst stomach pain you can experience! For me then when somebody says why didn't you get the Nautique or the Mastercraft, or Crownline, I say, "Because I tested one and though it was nice, it was down on power, or I didn't like the upholstery, or this feature or that, and this is why I bought the Malibu!"

Not to hijack or anything but

kb

I happen to have a 19 pitch stainless 3 blade that will fit his Volvo outdrive that should increase his holeshot.

And I'm in the Dallas area.

Priced to sell quick $200

Providing he did not test drive it first, encourage him to take it back to the dealer before he gets out of single digit hours.

Plead misrepresentation, try to use "unsafe" if you can based on it's anemic performance, make sure he takes every scrap of paper the dealer gave him upon delivery, unhook it in the parking lot before you go in as if you're definitely leaving it and don't back down. Deals can be undone for a lot of reasons as long as he didn't drive it first and especially if his sales person assured him it would "ski great" like the trashliner guys always do.

Very good advice, but if he did drive it first then I think he's probably screwed.

kb

I happen to have a 19 pitch stainless 3 blade that will fit his Volvo outdrive that should increase his holeshot.

Brad,

I think he told me he already has a 17 inch prop.

I agree with the panel of experts here, tell him to take it back and get what he wants or needs. The dealership sells MC's so maybe he could get hooked up that way.

Providing he did not test drive it first, encourage him to take it back to the dealer before he gets out of single digit hours.

Plead misrepresentation, try to use "unsafe" if you can based on it's anemic performance, make sure he takes every scrap of paper the dealer gave him upon delivery, unhook it in the parking lot before you go in as if you're definitely leaving it and don't back down. Deals can be undone for a lot of reasons as long as he didn't drive it first and especially if his sales person assured him it would "ski great" like the trashliner guys always do.

Very good advice, but if he did drive it first then I think he's probably screwed.

He would be screwed if he had purchased it from my dealer. Heck it's worth a try to get it traded or returned and get a MC.

kb

Brad,

I think he told me he already has a 17 inch prop.

I agree with the panel of experts here, tell him to take it back and get what he wants or needs. The dealership sells MC's so maybe he could get hooked up that way.

Phil Dill doesn't sell MC's. Texas MC in Fort Worth does but they don't sell Crownline unless it was used. They do sell new Chaparral I/O's.

I kinda find it hard to believe that it won't pull him. I would say get a bigger ski - HO Rival or something like that.

He would be screwed if he had purchased it from my dealer. Heck it's worth a try to get it traded or returned and get a MC.

crownline or mc. I think the crownline in town (Sac) has Moomba and Supreme

you could buy him a blender and take him along to carry the drinks and food, heck he would even be good for breaking up the chop on the way back to the ramp in the afternoon, oh and tubes, tell him to get a couple of cool tubes

I need help from somebody who is more mature acting than I am.  A good friend came by the house one day about 3 weeks ago, while I was washing my boat and asked for advice about purchasing a boat for his family.  I spent at least an hour explaining the pros and cons of inboards vs. I/O's and outboards.  I was very honest about the cons of an inboard, but I was also very honest about the cons about a I/O. 

Well, he let a smooth talker at a big dealership in Dallas talk him into a 22' Crownline with a little 5.0 V-8.  He came by last night crying about the lack of power and how it couldn't even pull him out of the water on a slalom ski.

It's your fault. You should have insisted he ski behind anything he was thinking about buying. :)