Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing with VLX

mibu

I tried to set my boat up this weekend for surfing. I had the wedge down with left rear ballast filled and one 400 pound sac on top of it with middle tank filled and front tank filled. I had 4 adults on the left side with a driver and one person in the water. . The wave didn't seem to be as big as Stewart's wake was at C.O.W. It seem to be better if I made slight left turns. I would like to see how the rest of you are doing with the VLX

You are supposed to make a slight arc to the left (regular foot) to clean up the wake. You may want to play with the bow ballast to tune in the wake. Also, try it with and without the wedge. I filled my center and rear tank (side I was surfing on) put 360 lbs of lead in the locker and had maybe 600 lbs of people and was able to get a wake big enough for me (245lbs.) to surf w/o the handle on a 5'6" Broadcast. I am planning to get fat sac to make the wake bigger because I think it needs it.

Greg

You might want to experiment with the speed, try speeds between 9.8mph to 10.5 mph.

Also, how deep was the water? We found in water less than 10' the wave is also smaller.

You might want to also try it without bow ballast and only 1/2 tank center ballast.

My usual set up is

Middle and right side ballast full, wedge down. All passengers as many as 10 people to as few as 2 kids on the right side of the boat. Boat speed 9.5 to 10 depending on the weight. You can get a great wake no matter how much weight is in the boat. Your speed is the key.

You might want to experiment with the speed, try speeds between 9.8mph to 10.5 mph.

Also, how deep was the water?  We found in water less than 10' the wave is also smaller.

You might want to also try it without bow ballast and only 1/2 tank center ballast.

I would try a slow turn and Stewarts idea's.

When I run on the Delta, I try to find water deeper than 10'. When I hit a shollow spot the wake will become smaller.

we use 2 fly high v-drive sacs (400# each) in the bin (regular side, one on top of the other) and a 600# fat sac on top of the bin and another sac on the seat just in front of the bin. Slight turn to the left. oh yeah, wedge down. This is when 3 of us go out. If we have more people we put them in the front.

Huge wake. The Malibu sticker above the rub rail is under water while surfing. The water is just above the rubrail when stopped.

We have up to 250 lb guys surfing the phase 5 oogle.

edit: MLS is filled as well.

Edited by Cervelo

Thanks for all the tips. I believe my speed was at 11.5 mph.I'm about 220pounds. All we had was last years broadcast the brown one I believe it was the small one 4-6 I think. The water was very deep. I went a little faster because I thought the wake was closer to the boat than I remember Stewart's was. I was thinking I should have a bigger board. Also what does the VAB mean? Is it possible to have to much weight? When the boat was really leaning to the right I got a little nervous.I wanted to make sure the boat stayed on top of the water (if you know what I mean).

Edited by mibu

Maybe I am not as picky as some of you guys, but I am able to have a blast behind my stock 05 VLX with no additional weight with only 2-5 people on the left side. I go 9.8mph and slight turn to left.

Joe

Maybe I am not as picky as some of you guys, but I am able to have a blast behind my stock 05 VLX with no additional weight with only 2-5 people on the left side.  I go 9.8mph and slight turn to left.

Joe

Same thing with the 2005 VLX demo I had this year. It seemed to work much better w/o any bow or center ballast. Just Wedge, rear left tank full, beer coolers pushed to the left, and a bigun' or two on the platform @9.5 mph.

We did some night surfin'at Dale Hollow a few weeks back..what a blast that was. Makes it easy to focus on the wake...because that was all you could see from back there.

we rode behind jcbatt's 05 vlx all weekend between 10.5 and 11 mph. that was with all of the ballast full (including the bow), wedge down and two 250 pounders on the left rear seat. his wife rides about ten feet back off the platform ropeless at 11 mph.

I believe my speed was at 11.5 mph.

That is way to fast. Your speed needs to be 9.5 to 10.

Keep in mind our speedos aren't all calibrated with each other.

10.5 on one boat may read 11.5 on another.

I know mine varies 0.5 to 1.5 mph just a day or 2 after gps calibrating.

Best to poke the arrows til its just right - I define just right as just enuff speed to clean up the wake wall.

A little more speed can help make the sweet spot a little lnoger but too much can shrink the wave.