Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Show off your kids!!

Ndawg12

First day in the water this year - Thanks the the "stay at home order" and some nice weather.

First Time going rope-less for my 10 year old - she in now hooked (and won't quit talking about how Wake Surfing is "her thing")! - Like music to my ears!

IMG_20200325_1546185.thumb.jpg.429fb4ea673d4811ac544b8fdca9fc4e.jpg

IMG_20200325_1703418.thumb.jpg.fda8c0f087f8c061c8ac545f58dda7b1.jpg

IMG_20200325_1638375.thumb.jpg.f5aead554d5e93eed86b95ae0fc9df68.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

After switching to a bigger board, our 12 year old was able to return to going ropeless.  She was pretty frustrated to be able to do it last year but not this year.  How old until they really understand surface area and buoyancy?

IMG_20200403_1720273.thumb.jpg.c4e229f2765e38fe662a01d33dcf7e4c.jpg

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Sixball said:

Well we are grandparents again.  Our son and wife gave us another grandson at 4:23 am this morning. Everyone is A OK. We hope to get to see Reese tomorrow but we won't have a chance till they get home. Dammer this covid is screwing us again. Oh well one day is OK I guess.   

There isn’t much on this earth better than grandchildren.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Our 4 year olds first time getting up without dad in the water.  Hard to see in the video but she is just back there singing.  I probably would not recommend 4 years old as an age to start them but we spend a ton of time in the water and some of her snowboarding skills seemed to have transferred to the surfboard. 

7 year old wanted to give it a go for the first time this weekend.  She was able to get up right away (with a little in water assistance) and now just got to get her balance down.  She was hooked immediately and wanted to keep doing it and go out again later in the afternoon.  Going out Tuesday and will hopefully have a calm and low boat traffic day.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PAvJSxqqCrIXjOpBPbzjhLbPzDcSRcMN/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by DAI
  • Like 2
On 7/27/2020 at 7:25 AM, DAI said:

7 year old wanted to give it a go for the first time this weekend.  She was able to get up right away (with a little in water assistance) and now just got to get her balance down.  She was hooked immediately and wanted to keep doing it and go out again later in the afternoon.  Going out Tuesday and will hopefully have a calm and low boat traffic day.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PAvJSxqqCrIXjOpBPbzjhLbPzDcSRcMN/view?usp=drivesdk

No pics as I forgot the gopro, but she was able to get into the wake yesterday and ride forma bit.  She was very excited and is definitely hooked.  She kept asking when are we going to the lake again.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, DAI said:

No pics as I forgot the gopro, but she was able to get into the wake yesterday and ride forma bit.  She was very excited and is definitely hooked.  She kept asking when are we going to the lake again.

That is awesome she is that excited to keep going.  My daughter is 7 (7 1/2 as of yesterday if you ask her) and is not yet wanting to surf.  She loves the ZUP board and belly tube so I am hoping she wants to try it on her own soon.  I think if I got her a board that would get her a little more interested in trying it.  Either that or having another young kid around that is her age to see them surf would encourage her.  Her watching me surf is more boring than encouraging for her.

15 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

That is awesome she is that excited to keep going.  My daughter is 7 (7 1/2 as of yesterday if you ask her) and is not yet wanting to surf.  She loves the ZUP board and belly tube so I am hoping she wants to try it on her own soon.  I think if I got her a board that would get her a little more interested in trying it.  Either that or having another young kid around that is her age to see them surf would encourage her.  Her watching me surf is more boring than encouraging for her.

I started her last year surfing on the board with me, which she had fun with.  I asked her if she wanted to try on her own and she initially said no until I told her she would have own board.  That got her into trying so we picked up a Phase 5 Scamp.  We practiced in the pool a few time end of the season last year to get her comfortable on what to do.  And this year she tried for the first time.  She has become very protective of her board, wanting to know where it is and telling her mom to be careful when putting in the rack.  I'll probably have to hang it in her room during the winter.

Edited by DAI
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Aaak - fins on the vinyl :rofl:

Looks like a good way to spend lunch

I know it looks that way, and he might have kissed the vinyl with the fins. But he’s very good about not putting them on the vinyl in any aggressive way. Here he’s pretty dang excited to get in before some boats upriver get to us and ruin his glass. Lol. 

On 7/19/2020 at 7:15 AM, vanamp said:

Our 4 year olds first time getting up without dad in the water.  Hard to see in the video but she is just back there singing.  I probably would not recommend 4 years old as an age to start them but we spend a ton of time in the water and some of her snowboarding skills seemed to have transferred to the surfboard. 

That's awesome.  My 4 year old will go out with me occasionally, but is way away from being comfortable out there alone.  Well done!

• Like 2
On 7/20/2020 at 12:15 AM, vanamp said:

Awesome, we have a 5 and 3 yr old. What size board and how many fins? What brand? it may be one they sell in Aus (or should i say one Santa can source....)

5 hours ago, AussieSkier said:

Awesome, we have a 5 and 3 yr old. What size board and how many fins? What brand? it may be one they sell in Aus (or should i say one Santa can source....)

We got a phase 5 scamp clearance b-stock.  Its a skim style board but it has 3 fins to give it a little more tracking.  I would recommend it for a really little one learning because they can sink it a bit with their heels to get it to flip up for starting.  Something too boyant might be difficult for a lightweight to flip up. 

On 9/21/2020 at 9:49 PM, vanamp said:

We got a phase 5 scamp clearance b-stock.  Its a skim style board but it has 3 fins to give it a little more tracking.  I would recommend it for a really little one learning because they can sink it a bit with their heels to get it to flip up for starting.  Something too boyant might be difficult for a lightweight to flip up. 

Thanks

On 9/21/2020 at 6:49 AM, vanamp said:

+1, all the kids ride the scamp on our boat up to the small teenagers.  Even some of the really petite ladies like it.

• 1 month later...

finally got assistance figuring out YT embedding...This is my stepson.  Its his first full season.  Riding a Doomswell Bandwagon.  Made a quick "blooper" vid of his wipeouts.  :yahoo:

Edited by Texan32
  • 2 weeks later...