Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY make your own front window Plexiglass or Lexan

kraftaroni

So I was looking for a window for my malibu with no success. They pretty much told me to take a long walk off a short pier! The customer service was terrible from the Dealer / Malibu and from Taylor Made the window manufacture. Malibu and taylor made had no way to cross reference my boat and tell me what window my boat had?? What a bunch of Idiots! So here is my DIY. It wouldn't let me post in the DIY section so hope the Mods don't delete it!

First step remove the window top plate and al the broken glass.

18423822_th.jpg

Second step make a template. I used some cardboard box material I had laying around Make sure It curves like the window will by re installing the top plate and checking the window curvature.

18423823_th.jpg

Third step. Buy some Plexiglass that the template will fit on. Mine was a little small lucky my template only hung off in 3 locations but was still covered by the window seal. Trace the template onto the Plexiglass and make a couple of practice cuts on the corner of the Plexi. I cut mine on a piece of wood with the blade of my saw just slightly protruding through so the Plexi would not chip! Even with a Skill saw I was able to make the slight curves needed for my window. I did use a belt sander to clean them up but I had very little clean up!

18423821_th.jpg

Fourth step. Clamp your Plexi onto your frame I used four clamps at the flattest location of my frame once clamp in each corner. It take 260-280 degrees to bend Plexiglass so I used two heat guns with the help of my dad. :) Do not use clamps to bend the windshield around the frame you will distort it! Push the windshield with light pressure at the furthest end and use wood once it's close enough to draw it in. If you look in the pictures the piece of wood I used started with a large clamp and was about 10 inches away from the frame to begin with. I slowly drew it in over a 30 minute time frame. Make sure you don't hold the heat guns in one spot either. Move the head all around the area that is to be bent.

18423829_th.jpg

18423831_th.jpg

18423833_th.jpg

18423834_th.jpg

18423836_th.jpg

18423838_th.jpg

18423841_th.jpg

18423845_th.jpg

I have never attempted to bend Plexiglass before. It was easy I just read about it on the internet. I'm sure a professional might do it a little different?? But this was really easy. It took a total of 4 hours including the trip to buy the glass at Home Depot. the glass only cost me 40$$

Very innovative. You might want to get a felt pad or something to go between your cover and that section of the windshield as it will scratch pretty easy. I can't believe they couldn't cross reference the piece. Lame.gif

Google plexiglass polish, you may want to pick up something before you start getting scratches. I forgot a lot of aircraft windows are plexiglass, so there are a lot of scratch remover products out there.

Edited by TheBlackPearl
I thought about the scratch factor also, better than no windshield at all. Looks really good, how thick was the plexi? 1/4"??

It was just under 1/4 inch like .240 so it worked perfect. I am going to make another one out of Lexan so I have a back up! Thanks Guys i was just happy to have something work out! I hope it lasts a season at least! I can't believe That malibu who I called direct couldn't find the Taylor Made part number either?? They pretty much Suck! And the Guy also told me My Boat was too old. Jerk! it's a 1994 and it's still in good condition so it works for me. :)

Very innovative. You might want to get a felt pad or something to go between your cover and that section of the windshield as it will scratch pretty easy. I can't believe they couldn't cross reference the piece. Lame.gif

Google plexiglass polish, you may want to pick up something before you start getting scratches. I forgot a lot of aircraft windows are plexiglass, so there are a lot of scratch remover products out there.

Thanks for the heads up! I don't pull with the cover and it is stored inside so I hope scratches aren't an Issue I will look into getting so Plexi Polish! Thanks.

I'm having a hard time swallowing that Malibu could not give you a Taylor Made#. Did you make the calls or did the dealer?

Nice job BTW.