Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater Install

surf71

Thinking about installing a heater in my Sportster LX. Will it fit under the observers seat? I am looking at the 3 vent ( 1 fixed and 2 flex ). Any info or advice for DIY install?

Thanks

Ken

Our heater in the 99 Sportster is under the dash. It is a two vent and works really well. Keeps the drivers feet warm and the passenger with the snorkel. Yahoo.gif

Thinking about installing a heater in my Sportster LX.  Will it fit under the observers seat?  I am looking at the 3 vent ( 1 fixed and 2 flex ). Any info or advice for DIY install? 

Thanks

Ken

What exactly is it that you're trying to accomplish by putting it under the observer's seat? Not trying to be critical, just curious.

I installed a 3 outlet heater in my Sportster Lx. The heater is mounted just ahead of the observers seat , in the lower section of the front storage. One vent is fixed to the rear of the dash support & blows on the drivers feet. The pull out tube is mounted to the rear of the observers seat base & points towards the driver. It can be used by the driver or observer. I modified a cup holder on the passenger side dash & mounted a vent there. I left a lot of hose on it so it can be used as a pull out or pulled across the dash as a defroster.

You chose an interesting place to put the heater. You may be more pleased with the install if you get it up and out of the way of any obsticles. You may wish to consider airflow to the heater. If you put it in a confined space, you may be limiting your CFMs.

putting it up off the floor (there is a fiberglass "rail" across the top of the dash) is the best place to mount it. mine was originally mounted on the floor, and got wet and shorted the motor. new one was mounted on the rail, no problems since

• 3 weeks later...

I installed a 3 vent in my sportster. I put it ahead of the drivers feet. 1 vent at the feet. One tube in the middle of the dash in-line with the cup holder (defroster). One tube at the spotter's seat as far from the driver as possible. Works great. Second most important mod after perfect pass.

Mike