Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Manifold

rekrab201

Hey everyone,

I've been offered a great deal on a 96 Response LX. The only problem is that it has some rust on the manifold. Is this something I should be concerned about? What causes it and what should I do about it if I bought this boat?

Thanks,

Jon

I personally wouldn't be concerned about the rust on the manifolds.  In the second picture it is from the extreme heat of the engine and block.

I agree. If this is the only rust on the eng, then its ok. Was this run in a salt water area? Be carefull not to tell people were the boat is because someone my out bid you. Cry.gif

Good luck

On the underside of the manifold, it is very common. Dare I say every one of them out there look like that. The coating gets burned off by the heat as posted above. I put a new manifold on this spring and after 50 hours, it is already starting to look like that. As long as the manifold isn't cracked, don't worry about it. To check for cracks, run it in water. You'll know real quick.

definitely normal, especially if it is a NE boat. remember that the high humidity in NE will leave dew on the engine just about every morning (especially if it is left on a lift or outside near the water).

on a side note, i got 12 years out of my MC manifolds running in brackish water for about 7 years. pretty amazing.