Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel pump

I have the same problem as some of the earlier posts... I have a 2001 Malibu/ 350 Indmar Monsoon, it's cutting out and loosing power beyond 30 mph. It's driving me nuts, on Saturday i couldn't pull up my son with the wedge down. I just fired it up and sure enough the fuel pump is squealing and the hoses are vibrating. Okay, fine. I need a new fuel pump but i couldn't quite make out the cast-in numbers below Indmar. It looks like 83-0054, not positive.

What i'm looking for is someone to tell me for sure, exactly what part number i need and cheapest place to buy. Also, i'm guessing because it's an Indmar i won't be picking this up at my local auto part's store?? Please help and thank's for taking the time.

Malibucruzr

Did you already clean the filter screen in the inlet tube of the pump? A partially clogged screen will cause the symptons mentioned. Remove supply hose from bottom of pump, carefully use small screw or something to insert about 1/8" into inlet tube and pull downward whill pressing gently against inner wall of tube. Filter screen should come out rather easily. Clean with solvent such as brake clean and reinstall. Have you already replaced your inline filter between the tank and pump?

Edited by skier92
Did you already clean the filter screen in the inlet tube of the pump? A partially clogged screen will cause the symptons mentioned. Remove supply hose from bottom of pump, carefully use small screw or something to insert about 1/8" into inlet tube and pull downward whill pressing gently against inner wall of tube. Filter screen should come out rather easily. Clean with solvent such as brake clean and reinstall. Have you already replaced your inline filter between the tank and pump?

Yes, i installed a new fuel filter before this season. I will try cleaning the screen, that may work. Also, how does that fuel pump work? It looks like a rugged design, could it be taken apart and cleaned or fixed?

I have changed out my own fuel pump, and I'd say there is no way to take it apart and get it back together. I might be wrong, but after holding one in my hand, it just doesn't seem like it was made to be serviced like that.

And a clogged screen will cause the same squealing noise that a failing pump makes (it's starving for fuel, which lubricates the pump). Definitely check that out before you buy a new pump.

And make sure you changed the low pressure inline filter at the tank, not just the high pressure one after the pump.

Peter

Yes, i installed a new fuel filter before this season. I will try cleaning the screen, that may work. Also, how does that fuel pump work? It looks like a rugged design, could it be taken apart and cleaned or fixed?

Which fuel filter did you replace?

Here's what you need

Fuel Pump

Not sure if skidim can beat your dealers price, but I have not found it cheaper anywhere else

The Indmar part number (according to skidim) is 556014

Thank. I did some research and found the crossover number for NAPA P60962 and they had it for 146.00 but it was in Alabama ( 3-5 days ).

After a little more searching I bought it for 126.00 https://www.horsepowerparts.com/inde...oduct_id=85408

Thanks

I removed it but it was clean. The filter between the tank and pump... is that the fuel/water seperator??

Which fuel filter did you replace?

I replaced the high pressure filter. The filter between the tank and pump... is that the water/fuel separator??

Here's what you need

Fuel Pump

Not sure if skidim can beat your dealers price, but I have not found it cheaper anywhere else

The Indmar part number (according to skidim) is 556014

Thank. I did some research and found the crossover number for NAPA P60962 and they had it for 146.00 but it was in Alabama ( 3-5 days ).

After a little more searching I bought it for 126.00 https://www.horsepowerparts.com/inde...oduct_id=85408

Thanks

Also, i was always told that the filter between the tank and pump is the water/fuel separator, is this true? The reason i ask is because a bout mechanic told me that

the water/fuel separator is a screw in canister similar to a oil filter. Please teach me the truth, thanks.

Not really familiar with the Wakesetter models. If it is a direct drive, and if there is an inline filter between the tank and pump, start tracing fuel line rearward from fuel pump. On 04 & 05 RLXI's I've seen, the filter is located next to one of the mufflers. On 99 & 00 RLX, it is behind the panel in the trunk. About eight screws need to be removed to take the panel off.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. It was hung up at the bend into the tank. He rented a flexible fiberoptic borescope and snared it visually with a grasper.

41WrkOWdQvL._AA280_.jpg

• 2 years later...

I own a 2000 Malibu Response Lx with now about 800 hours. For weeks the boat was acting up. Mostly at high-end (38,000 rpm) it was starving for gas and the fuel pump was making a high pitch squeal. Once in a while however it would not start. I was sure the pump was going bad. I had just replace the fuel filters two years ago. Anyway after reading this post sure enough I check the screen at the bottom of the fuel pump from the mainline input. I tried to remove the screen but could not. So I removed the bump and just washed the bottom of the pump in some gas. Reinstalled and the boat has run great ever since and the high pitch squeal from the fuel pump is now also gone. Please check this screen before you buy a new fuel pump.