Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lets see your tower

Malibudude

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Custom tower that I designed and had built by Skyjac back in 2001. It's powdercoated stainless, about 4-6" taller than the Skylon Swoop of that period. The rear legs have a joint in them about halfway down, and it lays back to windshield level. 1/4" rubber sheets above and below the deck on all 4 feet, and heim joints in the middle. 10 seasons on it and I've never had a single problem. No spider cracks, and it's stiff as heck.

The bimini is also my doing - bought an off-the-shelf Sunbrella unit from like Overton's, and modded it to work very well on the tower. It's 6' long and shades most of the interior.

bimini.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Looks great but I bet you spent too much on your bimini :whistle::biggrin:

:Tease3: Ouch! ;):lol:

Actually though, I didn't. With much thanks to Rascal, this one was brand-spankin' new (still in wrapper), and was a fraction of the cost had I ordered it. The color was a perfect match, which made the whole thing too hard to walk away from - it was just meant to be. It was spec'd for an iRide, but with slight modification (removed 2" from center of front bow) I was able to make it fit the RLXi quite well.

:Tease3: Ouch! ;):lol:

Actually though, I didn't. With much thanks to Rascal, this one was brand-spankin' new (still in wrapper), and was a fraction of the cost had I ordered it. The color was a perfect match, which made the whole thing too hard to walk away from - it was just meant to be. It was spec'd for an iRide, but with slight modification (removed 2" from center of front bow) I was able to make it fit the RLXi quite well.

Good for you, the whole set up looks awesome. I'm still holding out for a deal like that on an OTT for mine, doubt it will happen.

I actually used that pic of your boat as a reference to try and persuade my wife to let me strip and polish the tower this winter, and it worked :thumbup: She said, "will it be all nice and shiny like that?" I said, "uh, yeah, I hope so ". :biggrin: The pressures on....!!

Edited by Ndawg12

Good for you, the whole set up looks awesome. I'm still holding out for a deal like that on an OTT for mine, doubt it will happen.

I actually used that pic of your boat as a reference to try and persuade my wife to let me strip and polish the tower this winter, and it worked :thumbup: She said, "will it be all nice and shiny like that?" I said, "uh, yeah, I hope so ". :biggrin: The pressures on....!!

You have your work cut out for you sir....I do not envy you for taking on the task, however I will be montoring your progress to see how it turns out.

I don't think my ADD could stand such a tedious job...I would :blowup:

You have your work cut out for you sir....I do not envy you for taking on the task, however I will be montoring your progress to see how it turns out.

I don't think my ADD could stand such a tedious job...I would :blowup:

I all ready did a test section, stripping will be easy. I've got some commercial paint stripper, spray it on, wait 10 minutes, spray another coat, wait another 15 minutes, powdercoat bubbled up and was almost like a thin rubber, very easy to strip off with a plastic scraper. It polished up real nice too but that will a little time consuming, a 1 foot section probably took me 5 minutes. I think I can it all done in a weekend....

Finally got a chance to get a pic out on the lake. Polished T3, with Great Lakes Bimini, and mirror arm from Monster. :love:

gallery_60_101_6399.jpg

I know this is certainly not the popular opinion, but your whole setup just looks so smooth without all kinds of speakers hanging from the tower. While I like music as much as the next, it just looks clean without them! Awesome setup! If I had the $$ that's exactly what I'd be aiming for!

I all ready did a test section, stripping will be easy. I've got some commercial paint stripper, spray it on, wait 10 minutes, spray another coat, wait another 15 minutes, powdercoat bubbled up and was almost like a thin rubber, very easy to strip off with a plastic scraper. It polished up real nice too but that will a little time consuming, a 1 foot section probably took me 5 minutes. I think I can it all done in a weekend....

A dealer once told me it takes a worker one 8 hour day to polish a titan tower.