Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LS1 engine cylinder cut out

Over the past 2 years my Response LXi with the Corvette LS1 engine has been losing power to what I believe is a cylinder cutting in and out. I have had the plugs changed on it and that seems to help for a little while, but it soon starts cutting in and out again. I think it is the cylinder cutting but I am not postive and I am open to other ideas. I'm not sure what the next step is in trying to fix this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Over the past 2 years my Response LXi with the Corvette LS1 engine has been losing power to what I believe is a cylinder cutting in and out. I have had the plugs changed on it and that seems to help for a little while, but it soon starts cutting in and out again. I think it is the cylinder cutting but I am not postive and I am open to other ideas. I'm not sure what the next step is in trying to fix this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Have you pulled the plugs and looked at them? That is your first step.

Have you done a leak down and compression test? Have you narrowed it down to ignition or fuel? Could be a bad injector or coil if your compression and leak down test shows pass.

Take a look at the cap rotor and wires

The LS1 is "coil-on-plug" (actually, near-plug) design- so there's a coil pack for each cylinder- no distributor. If you have problems with spark at only one cylinder, you may have a bad coil pack; but agree with others that you should rule out simpler issues, such as bad plug or wire(s) first.

You can take the "inspection in dark" process a step further by spaying the coils and plug wires with windex. If there is a bad wire or coil that is arcing, this will enchance the fault and make it easier to spot. As previously suggested, inspect the plugs first to see if there is one cylinder that may be the culprit. Check this site:www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html for what look of plug condition may mean. Even a cracked spark plug insulator can cause misfire, but since you already changed the plugs, that would be a long shot.(assuming they were installed carefully. a cocked socket can crack a plug on intallation) Losing power? A bit more description of the running problem would be helpful. Missing or lack of power at WOT (wide open throttle) could be as simple as lack of fuel due to dirty primary fuel filter (located nest to the muffler, when was it last replaced) or clogged filter screen in inlet side of fuel pump (has it been cleaned lately).