Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

For those who have Bimini top

For those who have Bimini top--does the top fold down or is it permanetly up? If it does fold how hard/timely is it to put up and down/store?

It fold down pretty easily on the Illusion X. I usually leave mine open unless I'm going long distances or over 45MPH.

So it just stays on the tower itself...but folded down?

Anyone got any pics of it in the folded position?

It fold down pretty easily on the Illusion X. I usually leave mine open unless I'm going long distances or over 45MPH.

So it just stays on the tower itself...but folded down?

Anyone got any pics of it in the folded position?

It takes about 3 or 4 minutes to "stow" it like in the pictures above. You can either leave it attached to the tower or remove it completely in about 5 seconds by 2 little clasps on the sides.

The top can be left open and towed at highway speeds. As far as i know this is the only bimini top than does not have to be stowed.

The top can be left open and towed at highway speeds. As far as i know this is the only bimini top than does not have to be stowed.

Hmmm...I did not know this! Thumbup.gif Has anyone towed, at highway speeds for about an hour, with the top open? I'm curious if this does any damage to the bimini longterm.

I think I'll stick to stowing it away for travel. Besides, it only takes about 5 minutes to do anyways. One less thing to worry about while on the road.

I think I'll stick to stowing it away for travel. Besides, it only takes about 5 minutes to do anyways. One less thing to worry about while on the road.

Exactly what my thoughts were. We've had some seasons where it seemed like if it could go wrong, it did. So I never wanted to add to that over saving 5 minutes either way. To each his/her own though.

Exactly what my thoughts were. We've had some seasons where it seemed like if it could go wrong, it did. So I never wanted to add to that over saving 5 minutes either way. To each his/her own though.

Plus1.gif Not worth tearing the stitch either.

Hmmm...I did not know this! Thumbup.gif Has anyone towed, at highway speeds for about an hour, with the top open? I'm curious if this does any damage to the bimini longterm.

The guy I bought my boat from towed it from north of Houston to Fort Worth (~ 4 hours) with the top open. There wasn't anything wrong with it but it was pretty new. After the sun gets a hold of it I'm sure you would start having problems with the stitching at highway speeds. I now take it off all together because it is easy.

I tow with it up frequently, but if I have to drive longer than about 30 miles I take it down mostly because of bugs. The dealer told me it's fine to tow at highway speeds, but I could see one of those screws working its way loose and ruining an otherwise good trip!

Bimini down.

It is just like a sail. If you don't believe so run your boat wide open with the top up and the top down. The difference in speed will convince you.

Obvious reasons for bimini down: gas mileage towing, wear and tear on the stitching and brackets, possible failure.

I love my bimini. I have it up all day between 9 am and 4 pm. It really is self defense against skin cancer. As a boater for 57 years I've had enough sun to do damage but the last 8 years or so I hide under the bimini every chance. And I have a big old floppy hat with a chin strap, too. No skin cancer, yet.

My other buddies have no tower or bimini and frankly I find myself more tired at the end of the day if I'm out in the sun all day.

Why chance damaging my bimini on the way to the lake when I need it most ?

My theory is this the boat does not go 65 - 70 on water. So the chances that the bimini is designed for that is slim to none. The screws holding the plates to the tower are 1/4" allens screws, there is a good chance you will snap them off. I take mine down everytime and it doesn't take long to do.

I would completely remove the bimini unless you are going a very short distance.

Learn from my mistake.

I closed the bimini and secured it to the tower. I drove the hour home form the lake.

When I got home I realized that one of the screws that holds the pivot arm to the boat came loose during the drive.

The pivot arm was still connected to the XS tower, but the arm that leads to the bimini was no longer connected to the tower so it was able to jiggle on the side of the tower all the way home leaving a nice section of deep scratches in my brand new tower!!! Cry.gif

Take the 2 extra minutes and completely remove the bimini from the tower and place it on the floor. I have learned when I tow I don't leave anything on the tower. No racks, No bimini, no boat cover, no problems!

Brian

I would completely remove the bimini unless you are going a very short distance.

Learn from my mistake.

I closed the bimini and secured it to the tower. I drove the hour home form the lake.

When I got home I realized that one of the screws that holds the pivot arm to the boat came loose during the drive.

The pivot arm was still connected to the XS tower, but the arm that leads to the bimini was no longer connected to the tower so it was able to jiggle on the side of the tower all the way home leaving a nice section of deep scratches in my brand new tower!!! Cry.gif

Take the 2 extra minutes and completely remove the bimini from the tower and place it on the floor. I have learned when I tow I don't leave anything on the tower. No racks, No bimini, no boat cover, no problems!

Brian

I wish I could remove all the racks from my tower but it is not something a person can do at the dock in less than an hour. Do you take off your speakers?

I have towed my boat at 75 MPH for 100+ miles each way 3 times in the last to 2 weeks taking it back to my dealer and 50+ miles each way to the lake. Never had an issue, but you are right it only takes 1 time to make a new boat look like an old scratched up boat.

I take mine off and leave it off most of the time because we just ski in the morning on the glass and then get the heck off the lake before all the drunks come back out. The sun is not too hot in the a.m. so don't really need it. If I will be out for an extended period I will put it back on.

I never leave the bimini on after leaving the lake. It gets tucked back into it's cover and stays strapped down to the tower. Bugs, wind speed, and who knows what else can all cause problems to the bimini. I'd rather take a couple minutes and keep it looking like new. :)

• 2 weeks later...