Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tach will not work

Hello,

Have a 98 Response, with the monsoon engine. The tach will not work. Not sure why, bought a new tach and that was not the issue. Sort of lost now where to look. Ideas? Tracing the wires I guess.....

Hello,

Have a 98 Response, with the monsoon engine. The tach will not work. Not sure why, bought a new tach and that was not the issue. Sort of lost now where to look. Ideas? Tracing the wires I guess.....

Yes,.. try the cannon plug first. Also verify you have 12 volts and ground to a appropriate terminals on the back of the tach (key on). The gray wire is the tach signal from the distributor and can be traced back to the distributor. If wiring is all good your problem is probably the ignition module.

hey thanks so much. Cannon plug, is that the back of the tach? Sorry if that is a dumb question. But is it..lol

Jeff

The Cannon plug is the connection between boat and engine wiring harnesses. Should be located rearward of drivers side cylinder head on engine. Mark prior to disassembly. Check for corrosion and that pins make snug connection.

i have a 98 Response as well and my tach bounces all over thew place. I read on here to run a seperate ground to ground bus but that did not work. I am like BlazerSS and don't want to buy a new tach unless i need to. Any ideas frrom anyone.

i have a 98 Response as well and my tach bounces all over thew place. I read on here to run a seperate ground to ground bus but that did not work. I am like BlazerSS and don't want to buy a new tach unless i need to. Any ideas frrom anyone.

Read my post above. That should help you determine if the tach is bad.

Edited by nuttyskier2002