Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting RV/Camper and boat to the lake.

txwakejunkie

The 03 Chevy is a Duramax but it has the 3.73 rear end.

Both of the trucks have the Allison trans with a transgo kit. I tow through the desert so I also added engine oil and trans oil coolers which performed perfectly. The 03 now has almost 160,000 with only an injector issue (typical for that year) but it has been reassigned to light towing since I got the 08 GMC (love the 6 speed allison).

What still amazes me is how well it tracks around corners. Its like driving a Disneyland tram everything follows the track of the truck.

c28

what do i need to know when looking for more info on this. does the total length of the center trailer have to be 28.6'. your 5th wheel looks to be around 31-33' from the pict. thank for the help.

Hyperlite,

Good eye the overall length (nose to tail) of my 5er is 29'8" but the floor pan (behind the bumper) is 25' 2". The vehicle code is very vague and is totally open to the individual offerser. The only time I was pulled over was because the lights were out on the boat trailer at night going through Barstow (the plug was a little loose) we pushed on it they came on and he said have fun on the water (after checking my license).

My total overall length is 75" 1 1/2" with out the swim deck (they only measure to the lights). I had room to spare with the Supra but the 23 LSV and swing tongue put me right at the mark.

Any DMV office has the commercial drivers handbook but you can refer to the vehicle code (I forgot the #) for the length requirements. When I was driving the 03 I carried a copy of it to show if I needed to but in 5+ years of towing I have never needed it.

We have towed to Shasta and Powell and everywhere in between with out any issue just keep it at 55 and drive smart, They are looking for the flagrant violators.

It's interesting how well these setups perform on curvy roads. It really tracks well. I pull doubles on a narrow curvy mountain road all the time, and the experience is much easier and less stressful than pulling a trailer behind my inlaw's 40 ft diesel pusher.

My kids refer to the setup as the choo choo train. Thumbup.gif

Been camping/boating pulling the boat with a 40' diesel pusher for the last 6 years. Just have to make sure the launch ramp is wide enough. Measure your turning radius and always carry a string the same width so that you can pre-measure the launch ramp. Jack-knifing a motorhome/boat combination is no fun at a boat ramp. We never disconnect from the motorhome, just camp and pull out when ready to go boating. Good luck.

Both of the trucks have the Allison trans with a transgo kit. I tow through the desert so I also added engine oil and trans oil coolers which performed perfectly. The 03 now has almost 160,000 with only an injector issue (typical for that year) but it has been reassigned to light towing since I got the 08 GMC (love the 6 speed allison).

What still amazes me is how well it tracks around corners. Its like driving a Disneyland tram everything follows the track of the truck.

What is a transgo kit? I have an 05' Duramax (5 speed obviously) with a 4:10 rear end. Do you feel that your 03 was more than capable or pushed to the max? How do I go about getting a Class A?

Here is the link for transgo. It is just a shift kit with bigger springs that lets you run higher pressure and hold each gear with out slipping. It works very good. My next step is a PPE tuner then I will need to step up to a larger torque converter but the 03 has never had an issue I do have the allison deep pan and the extra 12v powered fan cooler which I put under my seat in front of the gas tank which is a 60 gal Aero aux.

http://www.transgo.com/sk_generalmtrs.php

Anyone can get a class A all DMV offices have the "Commercial Study Guide" it has all of the info you will need. There is a written test and a driving test which you will need to bring you 5er with you (no boat).

There are also free online practice tests that you can take to get you in the test mode. It is more than worth it. To have your own bed and A/C right next to the boat and once camp is set up you have a vehicle to use.

How do you hook up the boat to the 5th wheel? It usually takes me a couple of in-and-out-of-the-truck events to get her lined up just right when by myself. That looks like a wee bit of a challenge.

On your 03 did you stay with the stock 245 tires or did you upgrade to the 265 tires? Do you think that makes a difference?

Pruis6,

Yes I up graded the tires on the 03 but I went with the 285 10 ply goodyear silent armor wranglers which ride very good and have lots of traction on the ramp.

On the 08 I went with 20" wheels with the goodyears, I like the look but the ride suffered a little