Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLXI Rudder Alignment

I noticed yesterday on the lake that steering wheel and rudder are out of alignment on my 2008 RLXI. It seems like the rudder turned and has gotten out of alignment so that in order to go straight the steering wheel needs to be cranked 90 degrees. What is the procedure to align the rudder to the steering wheel and is there a certain degree offset to compensate for the prop spin pushing the boat to one side? Dealer is hours away so I hope this is a DIY. Thanks!

I noticed yesterday on the lake that steering wheel and rudder are out of alignment on my 2008 RLXI. It seems like the rudder turned and has gotten out of alignment so that in order to go straight the steering wheel needs to be cranked 90 degrees. What is the procedure to align the rudder to the steering wheel and is there a certain degree offset to compensate for the prop spin pushing the boat to one side? Dealer is hours away so I hope this is a DIY. Thanks!

Anyone?

If the position of the steering wheel while tracking the boat straight forward has changed from what it used to be, I'd be concerned that perhaps the steering rack was loose. Look under the dash and confirm it is tight in place. A longer shot, but check the connections between the rear end of the cable and the tiller and tiller to rudder. I'd check all prior to next outing.

Also check alignment of you skegs/fins, rudder & strut. It's possible one of them got tweaked & you're having to correct for that.

Align as follows:

Drive up to speed, note position of the wheel when tracking straight.

Stop while maintaining the position of the wheel.

Go under dash & loosen the 4 screws holding the rack to the helm & one screw on brace.

Drop the rack down about 1/2" or so - just enough to disengage the teeth.

Rotate the wheel to straight.

Tighten everything back up & test again.

I would also think about having the dealer check this out for you, it should be covered under warranty still. There may be something else going on and you wouldn't want your steering to fail at the wrong time!

Edited by 68Slalom

Thank you all for the great info. I know that I can count on the crew for the answers. Something definitely slipped somewhere as the wheel is way off center on the trailer with rudder pointing straight.

I have heard of a rudder turning around backwards and getting sucked into a prop during a hard revers thrust. I believe mine moved after a reverse thrust, so the question would be what moved? Possibly the steering cable on the tiller? If that happened is it ok to just adjust at the helm and leave the tiller alone? Thanks again!