Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

beeping after start

In my earlier post I thought I had a bad depth finder, turns out the beeping I am hearing is the same beep you hear when the key in the ignition is turned only 1/2 way. All the gauges read normal, oil, temp etc. A dealer over the weekend told me to check the "knock wire" and it was connected. Any thoughts? 2000 Sunsetter Lxi with Indamar Monsoon engine. Help.gif

Edited by shpower

i had the same sound. it was the oil pressure sending unit was bad. it is on the port side of the monsoon. has a small weep hole, if oil is weeping out of it, it is bad...

If I remember correctly, there are three (possibly four?) reasons that the alarm will sound.

1. Oil pressure

2. Water temp

3. Transmission temp

4. Low voltage?

I'm not sure on the low voltage one. Actually, I don't think that will signal an alarm. I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

It is very likely just a bad sensor if all your gauges look good. But if it happens after running around at speed for awhile there is certainly a possibility that it is a legitimate trans temp alarm.

Can you refresh us on when the alarm comes on?

Is it immediately?

Only after running around a bit?

Is it intermittent?

Mike

In any case, can you explain in more detail when the

My oil pressure switch, which gives signal to the ECM (not the gauge) caused the beeping after start for me.

BTW, the pattern of the beeps went like this ...

BEEP,BEEP,PAUSE,BEEP,PAUSE,REPEAT...

Oil pressure gauge read normal.

If you want to check it yourself, locate the switch, on mine it was by the oil pressure sending unit on the port side of the engine. It just sends a ground signal to the ECM if there is pressure. Run a wire from the wire off the switch to a ground on the engine with the engine running and if it goes away, the ECM is not getting it's ground signal, and that's your problem.

If you don't want to check it yourself, tell the dealer to check the OIL PRESSURE SWITCH (as opposed to the sending unit) for you.

If this is your problem, it's a pretty cheap and easy fix..

Hope this helps...

If I remember correctly, there are three (possibly four?) reasons that the alarm will sound.

1. Oil pressure

2. Water temp

3. Transmission temp

4. Low voltage?

I'm not sure on the low voltage one.  Actually, I don't think that will signal an alarm.  I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

It is very likely just a bad sensor if all your gauges look good.  But if it happens after running around at speed for awhile there is certainly a possibility that it is a legitimate trans temp alarm.

Can you refresh us on when the alarm comes on? 

Is it immediately? 

Only after running around a bit? 

Is it intermittent?

Mike

In any case, can you explain in more detail when the

When the problem first occured, it was only when the boat was in nuetral and not right away. Now it is all the time after startup.

This is one of the problems I have been having the last few weekends. (The beep beep pause beep beep) then it quits.

It seems to happen after a lot of wakeboarding with a lot of ballast and people.

Would this be the transmission fluid temp and is there a fix?

This is one of the problems I have been having the last few weekends. (The beep beep pause beep beep) then it quits.

It  seems to happen after a lot of wakeboarding with a lot of ballast and people.

Would this be the transmission fluid temp and is there a fix?

A new oil pressure switch did the trick for me when I had that alarm...

On the 04 VLX, it could also beep for low vdrive oil level.

I was just having same problems.....I replaced the sending unit and the switch, problem fixed.

sending unit $20, switch $24.

Any pics of this switch or sending unit? Or location? And all oil and transmission levels are full.

One other thing happening this has only happened twice, on take off there has been a loss of power like the transmission is slipping then I just back off the throttle then its fine the next time.

Could the sending unit cause this?

Edited by Mazeing5

The sending unit and switch are located right above the oil filter. They both have one wire attached. Both are attached to a tube coming outta the block, the sending unit is located on the side and the switch is on the end.

No, I do not think a bad switch / sender would cause a loss of power.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
My oil pressure switch, which gives signal to the ECM (not the gauge) caused the beeping after start for me.

BTW, the pattern of the beeps went like this ...

BEEP,BEEP,PAUSE,BEEP,PAUSE,REPEAT...

Oil pressure gauge read normal.

If you want to check it yourself, locate the switch, on mine it was by the oil pressure sending unit on the port side of the engine. It just sends a ground signal to the ECM if there is pressure. Run a wire from the wire off the switch to a ground on the engine with the engine running and if it goes away, the ECM is not getting it's ground signal, and that's your problem.

If you don't want to check it yourself, tell the dealer to check the OIL PRESSURE SWITCH (as opposed to the sending unit) for you.

If this is your problem, it's a pretty cheap and easy fix..

Hope this helps...

Plus1.gif