Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spark Retard Error ???

Hello. I need your help again gang. Just got back from the lake and had a problem with my 94 Echelon 454 EFI. After cruising the lake, when I was doing approx 40 mph, the whole boat shut down, lost power, spark, everything (twice within a few days of each other). Had to push the reset button on motor to get it to go again, and now it says "spark retard error" on my computron dash. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hello. I need your help again gang. Just got back from the lake and had a problem with my 94 Echelon 454 EFI. After cruising the lake, when I was doing approx 40 mph, the whole boat shut down, lost power, spark, everything (twice within a few days of each other). Had to push the reset button on motor to get it to go again, and now it says "spark retard error" on my computron dash. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I would concentrate on fixing the issue with the circuit breaker poping first. The spark retart error just might go away as a result of this. You have something drawing a heavy load to be poping the breaker. What all was running at the time the breaker popped?

I would concentrate on fixing the issue with the circuit breaker poping first. The spark retart error just might go away as a result of this. You have something drawing a heavy load to be poping the breaker. What all was running at the time the breaker popped?

Hi thanks for responding.The blower was on both times it happened and the stereo was on once.

Hi thanks for responding.The blower was on both times it happened and the stereo was on once.

See if it happens without anything running but the engine. Then slowly start turning things on. Blower motors are known for drawing heavier loads as they wear out (due to drag). Are your speakers all powered by amps? The amps power should not be drawn through this breaker. Head unit might be but it shouldn't draw enough to cause this. I'm betting it's either the blower or the battery (battery discharged or even bad will draw heavy load). The alternator only supplies what's being drawn from it so if battery voltage is correct (13.8 - 14.2 running) that eliminates the alt as culprit.

See if it happens without anything running but the engine. Then slowly start turning things on. Blower motors are known for drawing heavier loads as they wear out (due to drag). Are your speakers all powered by amps? The amps power should not be drawn through this breaker. Head unit might be but it shouldn't draw enough to cause this. I'm betting it's either the blower or the battery (battery discharged or even bad will draw heavy load). The alternator only supplies what's being drawn from it so if battery voltage is correct (13.8 - 14.2 running) that eliminates the alt as culprit.

Brand new blowers, 2 yr old optimum batteries. Did notice voltage dropped to 12.7 at times but usually around 14

Brand new blowers, 2 yr old optimum batteries. Did notice voltage dropped to 12.7 at times but usually around 14

Are you saying it dropped to 12.7 while running? If so,... how fast (engine idle or cruising)?

Are you saying it dropped to 12.7 while running? If so,... how fast (engine idle or cruising)?

Im trying to remember[getting old] it fluctuated while idling but cant remember what it was while cruising

Im trying to remember[getting old] it fluctuated while idling but cant remember what it was while cruising

Next time you go out keep an eye on your voltage gauge. It's normal for small fluctuatuions to occur when changing engine speed from idle to ~1000 RPM or more but voltage should stay pretty constant at speeds over 1500 RPM. See if you notice any changes in voltage reading (greater than 1 volt) as you are cruising when you turn on/off accessories (especially your blower). Stereo amps do not count here as they should draw directly from the battery. But anything powered from your dashes electrical system does. Hope you get this solved!

Next time you go out keep an eye on your voltage gauge. It's normal for small fluctuatuions to occur when changing engine speed from idle to ~1000 RPM or more but voltage should stay pretty constant at speeds over 1500 RPM. See if you notice any changes in voltage reading (greater than 1 volt) as you are cruising when you turn on/off accessories (especially your blower). Stereo amps do not count here as they should draw directly from the battery. But anything powered from your dashes electrical system does. Hope you get this solved!

Thanks for your suggestions